Pit gig in ears, no monitor, lead sounds

I've been using my old GK 250ML lunchbox just to generate some kind of interaction on stage. It actually can get pretty loud if I want, but mostly it's just there for exactly what you are speaking of just a little somethin somethin.
This thread got me thinking of those little surface mount transducers like in this video. Getting one small enough to be unobtrusively attached to a guitar and feed the Axe back through it and see if that would maybe make the guitar alive without the need of any outside noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO6d2SxfWrw

I've been playing with in ears only this year at my church and it's been an interesting challenge.

There are two parts to my approach:
1) Always run some reverb or "room" on the speaker cab. Gives the sound some space so it doesn't sound like your ear is up against the speaker.

2) The GR1. This little thing is like an ebow on a stand, and I can pull my guitar in front of it at will to push the note(s) into infinite sustain. It's way more flexible than the ebow because you control the action without having to stop picking and pick up the ebow. It also works across multiple strings at once unlike the ebow. Here is an example of me playing with just head phones: https://youtu.be/zvls89Ssbk8?t=1m53s
What's interesting is using it in a half on way, where you are close enough to get an effect but not close enough for full on feedback. It's quite similar to playing with a loud speaker running near you. The downside is you have to stay very still to maintain position in front of it.

Last edited:
So I can update the axe fw and the mfc fw without it altering my presets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I can update the axe fw and the mfc fw without it altering my presets?

There will def be some changes to your preset since modeling has changed and some drives have changed. Will it ruin them? usually the answer to that is no. The guys have all suggested to back up first then update so if you don't like it you can down grade back to 15 and reinstall. If you are an AE user I would suggest upgrading to FW 19 and latest AE since FW20 is in beta and not fully supported by AE

Oh man. Mmm boy that brings back some memories. High school pit for the win.

So now I'm on FW 19 and clueless on how to get a good (in ear) lead sound!

Can anyone help point me in the right direction, ie cabs and dynamic EQ?

Go easy on me!

I've been playing with in ears only this year at my church and it's been an interesting challenge.

There are two parts to my approach:
1) Always run some reverb or "room" on the speaker cab. Gives the sound some space so it doesn't sound like your ear is up against the speaker.

2) The GR1. This little thing is like an ebow on a stand, and I can pull my guitar in front of it at will to push the note(s) into infinite sustain. It's way more flexible than the ebow because you control the action without having to stop picking and pick up the ebow. It also works across multiple strings at once unlike the ebow. Here is an example of me playing with just head phones: https://youtu.be/zvls89Ssbk8?t=1m53s
What's interesting is using it in a half on way, where you are close enough to get an effect but not close enough for full on feedback. It's quite similar to playing with a loud speaker running near you. The downside is you have to stay very still to maintain position in front of it.

That GR1 looks really cool. Will be checking that out!

So now I'm on FW 19 and clueless on how to get a good (in ear) lead sound!

Can anyone help point me in the right direction, ie cabs and dynamic EQ?

Go easy on me!

Try Friedman BE, input gain around 6, MIDs up a bit, fat and bright on. I fattened things up by setting lo res to 115 hz and upping lo res level to 7-8 on the speaker page.
Factory cab 103 with lo cut around 80hz and hi cut around 7500.
Drive block: TS808, drive around 1, level around 7.
Stick some delay and reverb on to try and smooth things out a bit.

Cliffs dyn character settings are type:dynamic, freq: 450 Q:0.7, amount: 8 (I think). Trying those for the first time myself.

Try Friedman BE, input gain around 6, MIDs up a bit, fat and bright on. I fattened things up by setting lo res to 115 hz and upping lo res level to 7-8 on the speaker page.
Factory cab 103 with lo cut around 80hz and hi cut around 7500.
Drive block: TS808, drive around 1, level around 7.
Stick some delay and reverb on to try and smooth things out a bit.

Cliffs dyn character settings are type:dynamic, freq: 450 Q:0.7, amount: 8 (I think). Trying those for the first time myself.

Cheers Ben, I'm using comp delay and Rev, my ears are tired from doing it all morning, I'll try those settings and see how they sound, I'm also lucky enough to be able to run in stereo so that helps, it's definitely the cutting and boosting of frequency that I can't get a handle on.

We are in MK for another week if you are nearby and fancy being bored to tears talking about this stuff!

C

Cheers Ben, I'm using comp delay and Rev, my ears are tired from doing it all morning, I'll try those settings and see how they sound, I'm also lucky enough to be able to run in stereo so that helps, it's definitely the cutting and boosting of frequency that I can't get a handle on.

We are in MK for another week if you are nearby and fancy being bored to tears talking about this stuff!

C

No worries mate. I'm in a similar position myself today. Spent most of yesterday trying to cobble together some sounds myself. Just heading in for soundcheck myself so we'll see how I did.

What I suggested was the base for what I did on Wicked but I did have a speaker going so it might be a bit different for you. Should be an OK starting point though. Honestly, I've never had a distortion sound I really loved using headphones alone.

Good luck with it! Always happy to try new possibilities. Unfortunately I'm in Bromley all week so MK's the wrong side of town for a drop in.

No worries mate. I'm in a similar position myself today. Spent most of yesterday trying to cobble together some sounds myself. Just heading in for soundcheck myself so we'll see how I did.

What I suggested was the base for what I did on Wicked but I did have a speaker going so it might be a bit different for you. Should be an OK starting point though. Honestly, I've never had a distortion sound I really loved using headphones alone.

Good luck with it! Always happy to try new possibilities. Unfortunately I'm in Bromley all week so MK's the wrong side of town for a drop in.

Thanks for all your help, if you are ever in Woking feel free to come visit, or if you need a place to crash.

If your not using a mike sim on your cab, set it to "null" add some of the proximity parameter to gain some low mids back and add some of the air and room parameters to taste. This makes playing through headphones or in-ears a much better experience, of coarse, YMMV. Also adding some of the new de-phase parameter might help as well.

I have my Cabs X/Y set differently to IEMs and wedges, I tend to use a lot more motor drive, and add room and air to the IEM setting. All of those make a huge difference in feel to me, I can rock out all night long on my IEMs when they're set right.

I mainly use OwnHammer cabs, ML's didn't really click with me and the factory ones seem to be tuned for bedroom/live playing and not studio-ready tones. Find the ones that work for you I'd say.

And the speaker interaction does play a part, but the feel is much more the issue I think. As others suggested, adding gain (i.e. a Drive block with 0 drive but full level) help with the sustain.

My 2c,

Alex

Back
Top Bottom