Pink Floyd - Time solo AxeFXII V11

stink

Experienced
First of all, I have to congratulate Cliff & the Fractal Team for all of their collaborative efforts with both the AxeFXII and AxeEdit 3.0 . Cliff, never in my life, have I enjoyed the freedom and expression I have now because of the AxeFXII.

I took the plunge, sold all my old equipment and went in 100% with the Ultra (largely in part due the awesome videos posted by Mark Day). Once the AxeFX II came out, I sold my Ultra and since then, my life has never been the same nor simpler. You hit it out of ball the park with the II Cliff. Couple that with the Producer Packs and the OwnHammer Libraries, and my life as a gigging guitar player just improved by an order of magnitude.

There have been numerous questions, patch requests, and inquiries into David Gilmore’s tone. I can say, from my perspective, no single patch will capture Mr. Gilmour’s “Time” solo. I’ve done my best to try and re-create his true genius but I was unable to do so with a single patch or without plug-in help.

https://soundcloud.com/gcenker

For anyone interested, I will, in detail explain how I recreated this solo and provide the patches. Clams are free and open to interpretation.

Hint – it was a single take but using multiple patches and a wah. This, IMHO, captures the “Time” solo.

For anyone interested, the backing track I used can be found here : Pink Floyd - Time (4) Free Guitar Backing Track

If you find it interesting, great, if you think it sucks, then peace be with you.

-Greg

Last edited:
Very nice done ! I love Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, and of course mr Dave Gilmour .. love his guitar playing and
the atmosphere that's present in the music of the above mentioned artists.

nice playing :)

Nice cover, here is a cover I did awhile ago using a boss gt8. One of these days I'm going to recapture some Floyd solos with the Axe.
Pink Floyd Time Solo - YouTube
I used a fender strat for the backing track through a boss looper. It was the older rc-50. Ihave updated to the boss rc300 now that is one awesome unit.

I think is sounded great Greg. I am a huge Gilmour fan myself. I am always working towards perfecting my own sound I no longer work on others sounds as much as I use to. Quite a few years ago I was in a Floyd cover band and had Gilmours sound down pretty good at the Time. The cover I did on youtube I just used what ever sound I had setup that day so it really wasn't a good David sound. Just had some fun jamming. If you listen close when gilmour does the lick when he gets to the 14 the fret during the time solo you can hear where they add the long delay in there to repeat the lick. The whole album is so great.

One of the best Gilmour solo....
What amp and cab? Stratocaster?
Thanks so much

Thanks for the question:
I used an Yngwie Malmsteen Strat with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails SHR-1 in the bridge. The main amp was the new HIPOWER JUMPED driven by a T808 Mod drive pedal. The cabinets were in stereo using #42 4x12 HI-POWER (RW) and the Ownhammer 412 Mes V32 SM57 UV1. Both panned to center. Delay was the 2290 W/MOD at 500 ms, 20% feedback and 7.5% mix. Reverb was a medium hall with mix at 20.4%

The second guitar (I used re-amping) was a slightly tweaked version of the Lynch Plexi using an Ownhammer 412 Mes V32 SM57 BV 3 IR. This was recorded dry and brought up in the mix only slightly so the solo wasn't washed out with all the reverb and delay. Third guitar track was a copy of the patch above but I just added a Cry Baby wah
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Lynch Plexi - by RoccoPezzin

Within Reaper, I just used a high pass filter at 120 Hz on the guitar tracks and some EQ courtesy of Alloy 2. Completely stock preset, no tweaking. It's called bright and crisp. Also added a hall reverb in the effect send to the main guitar to allow it to sit properly in the mix and give it some distance.

I think is sounded great Greg. I am a huge Gilmour fan myself. I am always working towards perfecting my own sound I no longer work on others sounds as much as I use to. Quite a few years ago I was in a Floyd cover band and had Gilmours sound down pretty good at the Time. The cover I did on youtube I just used what ever sound I had setup that day so it really wasn't a good David sound. Just had some fun jamming. If you listen close when gilmour does the lick when he gets to the 14 the fret during the time solo you can hear where they add the long delay in there to repeat the lick. The whole album is so great.

Agree, what a ground breaking album which truly stood the test of "Time" - sounds fantastic to this day, one on my favorite Pink Floyd albums. Also, Mr. Gilmour's solos are deceptively "simple" sounding - that is until you try to play them. The "feel" is what's the most difficult to nail IMHO.

I know where your coming from I have been jamming floyd type solos throughout the 70s and 80s. Then I went through a another learning stage where I focused more on 3 to 4 notes per string scale type stuff. Over the last 10 years I have really defined my guitar soloing more towards my own style of playing. I guess its an accumulation of so many styles. What has really helped me the most besides always working to improve by putting in a few hours a day in on the techniques that I find difficult is jamming along to backing tracks. I think this is one of the most important things to do, expanding the ability to improvise and finding cool things in the process is so important. My whole world is guitar and I love listening to all guitarists at all levels of playing. Sometimes I will go on youtube and watch up and coming young guitarists and compliment them on their playing to help build their confidence. I also teach for free sometimes using yahoo messenger or skype. I love teaching others what I have learned.

Exactly they require all the techniques that take a guitarist years to develop, like good vibrato, perfect bending, holding notes with slight micro bends, slides, palm muting, etc. Its not all about the fast notes but playing a nice melody. One of my favorite solos from David is the one from the song Mother although the list goes on and on. I think I did 5 or 6 of his solos on Youtube back a few years ago. I love all his work and roger waters to he is the brain behind allot of that material. Without David in the band though its not quite the same.

Mother, there's another deceptively simple sounding solo until you try to copy the feel!

That's what I'm talking about. Great feel! First time I've hear Gilmour playing through a Jem. Great job!

Back
Top Bottom