Pinch harmonics

MNG

Inspired
Maybe just me, but I used to find it harder to generate pinch harmonics with the Axe than on the real thing, but now it seems that they just fly out of this black box since FW 11. It's like a sonic firework show.

In fact, all types of fingering, manhandling and physical tweakery shine through now.

FW11 has the magic dust! I can just hold a note and kit will start singing. Whatever cliff found its got the MOJO.

It didn't affect mine that much - not like some releases in the past where the amps sound very different and you have to start again from scratch.

The main thing is that now, it is just so easy to dial an amp in. I used to mess around a lot with the advance parameters but now you just don't have to do that, unless you want to of course. Just dial it like you would a real amp.

I agree, MNG. I posted a few FW updates ago about struggling to get any pinch harmonics out of the axe easily without really really digging in unnaturally with the pick. But now, they are effortless...there's definitely a huge improvement in the dynamics, much closer to real valves now.

I can't say I notice a change in pinch harmonics with v11. They've been practically effortless for me with the last several firmware releases. Of course, pinch harmonics is primarily based on proper technique.

Note to new users: Check your gate settings. Setting the gate too hard will make pinch harmonics much more difficult (among other things).

I got a natural harmonic above the 2nd fret using the 5150, with a drive in front and extra brightness in the tone stack, my dog woke up, then I hit the wammy bar and his head did a "J" and tilt... Sibilant!

I can do PH in my sleep on almost any amp, BUT, a true test is how easy they are to make happen. Some amps are easier than others. I use that Snake Patch (from Axe-Exchange) that a user suggested to me when I first got the amp because I wasn't getting the 80's tone I wanted after 3 minutes,,,,LOL I was impatient. That preset you can do them without trying.

Pinch harmonics are effortless now! Same with controlled feedback!!

Feedback has been easy for a long time now. At conversation volumes. Now it's a little different lately....but I do like a natural kind of decay more often, so am going with it. And....pinches are easier. Though I'm better at harmonic mutes.

I got a natural harmonic above the 2nd fret using the 5150, with a drive in front and extra brightness in the tone stack, my dog woke up, then I hit the wammy bar and his head did a "J" and tilt... Sibilant!

That's fucking great.

I can do PH in my sleep on almost any amp, BUT, a true test is how easy they are to make happen. Some amps are easier than others. I use that Snake Patch (from Axe-Exchange) that a user suggested to me when I first got the amp because I wasn't getting the 80's tone I wanted after 3 minutes,,,,LOL I was impatient. That preset you can do them without trying.

Hey is the snake patch the Mark Day one? I want 80's hair metal, and I end up getting something too metal and not enough hair, I would like to try this if this is what you are talking about

Back
Top Bottom