Pimped out MFC board

Doostain

Thought I would share my fun little project with the fractal fam.
I wanted a custom board to house my expression pedals and MFC, so I made a glass pedal board with color changing LEDs.
2016-01-21 23.42.05.jpg 2016-01-21 23.43.35.jpg 2016-01-21 23.40.27.jpg 2016-01-21 23.40.07.jpg 2016-01-21 23.39.39.jpg 2016-01-21 23.39.04.jpg
(You can see the light coming the corners, it has been black caulked, and can't see it anymore)
I had help building it with my drummer, who is a glazer, and got me the hook up on the glass. Your probably thinking why glass and not plexiglass? Plexi scratches easier and they would stand more and are hard to repair. Glass sctratches can be repaired easier. Yes glass is heavier, but plexi would have to be thicker so it wouldn't bend and cost way more.

Here's what I used and what I paid:
28"x14"x3/8" piece of glass, high polished edges, frosted on underside, with 7 holes drilled thru it to mount pedals (2 for each exp pedal, 3 for the MFC) $80...keep in mind I got the hook up on the glass, should have costed over $500.
LED RGB waterproof strip lights with power supply, controller, remote from amazon for $30. Needed the silicone over the leds to cushion the channeling, leds, and the glass.
8ft of 1/2" aluminum black channel, $10...again got hook up from drummer, they are good for something other than ryhthm.
Cry baby wah pedals, I bought 2 of them off CL for $25-30 each, got some 1/4 watt resistors I believe for a few bucks from Radio Shack.
Pizza grip tape $10, if you knew me, you'd know that all I eat is pizza.
Mounting feet from amazon for $10 for 8 of them, the nice big fat ones.
Machine bolts, black caulk, shrink tubing (used to jacket the bolts to not touch glass) $10
Custom made magnets $40, few hours designing, trip to kinkos to print on gloss cardstock, and picture magnets. They aren't the strongest but work nicely.
All in all about $250-275 for the everything minus the MFC.
...and then add another $250 for a case to house it which was a bitch to find one, has to settle for a Gator Mixer case and foamed it out with left overs I had.

Lemme know what ya think and who else has a bad ass board they wanna share?

Last edited:
Very nice looking board!

I built one kind of similar, but I never really went all the way with it.
I use plexiglas on mine that I got from Tap Plastics for about $40 (I think, been a while.) It does scratch, but I don't find it to be a problem. I don't really touch the surface too much I guess, and I can drill my own holes if I want to make modifications. If I ever feel the need or desire to change my top, I can for under $50. (But I don't see that happening)
My Plexiglas is blue, and my board is tight, so there isn't a lot of room for LED light to come through. This is why I never really went all in on the LEDs. I have them, and have hooked it up, but these days I'm too busy to mess it and I wanted a cleaner - less wires situation where I didn't need DC power at the board so I ditched it. The board itself is a modified Pedal Pad I got from GC years back. I tossed the top, put a bed of velcro inside, drilled holes in the side and built a custom interface for it, and put on a new plexiglass top. I've been meaning to upload pics for a while... I love my semi custom pedal board, but gotta say, your's looks sweet.

Oh and I only just noticed your pepperoni pizza pedals ---- hohoho:) A player with great humour and Taste!

Back
Top Bottom