PIGNOSE - End of the IR Rabbithole ?

Anand Mahangoe

Power User
Hi All !
I had lots of fun playing around with this amazing 1x4 Pignose cab.....I accidentally started playing with the default Cab block and did not know what I heard !
Years ago i did play it also but did not like it then but now ...seriously , if you haven't tried it yet , please do :)

Very curious how others are using it or have liked / not liked it...In this video I kept things as simple as possible : Cab block default and only some very little tweaking of the Bass and Drive parameters most of the times....anyhow, lots of Amps which worked already great by just clicking on it with default settings.

I can imagine using this Pignose 1x4" cab with a 4x12" cab and creating very interesting tones.......The Pignose might not be the most beautiful sounding Cab BUT sure has tons of "Character" !!

Lets discuss :)

You got some really great sounds out of that one little (literally, haaaa) IR! Real nice playing too! I'm not sure it quite rocked my world on the higher gain side, but for those somewhat-clean-somewhat-dirty sounds towards the start? Gorgeous

I remember seeing a video of someone setting up a tone for a player (I believe it was Dweezil), and the first tone he heard he said something like "that sounds good". Whoever was setting up the tone said something like "oh, that's just the Pignose" and moved through other IRs. Thought it was ironic that the "use your ears" was thrown out in that environment, but I digress. A pretty good endorsement though for a "crappy" IR.

You got some really great sounds out of that one little (literally, haaaa) IR! Real nice playing too! I'm not sure it quite rocked my world on the higher gain side, but for those somewhat-clean-somewhat-dirty sounds towards the start? Gorgeous
Thanks a lot and I can imagine for the higher gain thing maybe not the perfect / right cab ....my intention is more to show how good this "crappy" 1x4 cab can sound for lots of genres. Without tweaking !
And yes, for the clean - dirty sounds....lots of "Tone".

I remember seeing a video of someone setting up a tone for a player (I believe it was Dweezil), and the first tone he heard he said something like "that sounds good". Whoever was setting up the tone said something like "oh, that's just the Pignose" and moved through other IRs. Thought it was ironic that the "use your ears" was thrown out in that environment, but I digress. A pretty good endorsement though for a "crappy" IR.
Yes, the ears thing.......nice story by the way !!

That was very enlightening. Isn’t it funny that after all this time, it’s still that simple, great sound we’re after.
Perhaps something to do with “Age”, the older we get the simpler we want things…… I for sure lean much more towards the raw basic sounds and even got myself the ‘standard’ Fender Strat and Gibson Les Paul for those basic sounds….😉

Back
Top Bottom