Piezo - PRS vs EBMM

I totally get these for synth but what possible advantage is gained by minimum crosstalk on and acoustic saddle? Now add the larger pickup itself and you are going to seriously mess with your core acoustic tone. I for one wouldn't even consider that for any half decent acoustic unless it was only for live work and you didn't care about the unplugged tone at all.
I say this from my standpoint and that is "all piezo suck" but you just have to make it suck the least and not trash your acoustic by fitting it.
I am pragmatic about it though and for live they still are one of the only workable options.
We you say 'all piezo suck' are you talking from the standpoint of - in any guitar? or just in non-acoustic (solid/semihollow) guitars?
I have a couple acoustics (Alvarez, Ibanez) that are traditional acoustic guitars, and the piezos in those don't bother me. They're very acceptable for live use.
But I'm trying to cheat a bit and use a Godin A6 (which plays much more like an electric), just for playability reasons. I'm really trying to get this to sound like a 'great' acoustic. It does sound good. I'd just like to sound great.

We you say 'all piezo suck' are you talking from the standpoint of - in any guitar? or just in non-acoustic (solid/semihollow) guitars?
I have a couple acoustics (Alvarez, Ibanez) that are traditional acoustic guitars, and the piezos in those don't bother me. They're very acceptable for live use.
But I'm trying to cheat a bit and use a Godin A6 (which plays much more like an electric), just for playability reasons. I'm really trying to get this to sound like a 'great' acoustic. It does sound good. I'd just like to sound great.
Fit a piezo in any acoustic and it doesn't sound like the guitar did acoustically AND it's degraded the acoustic sound. This statement is the starting point unfortunately . The need for on stage acoustic tones is the ONLY reason ever to fit one. I had an A6 and in all honesty it's only virtue is stage use. It's all in the eq on this because the core tone is terrible but this is true of ALL thin bodied acoustic guitar that are designed of only unplugged use . This is why the Gibson Chet Atkins solid body classical and the Yamaha silent guitars are a good idea because they accept this.

Fit a piezo in any acoustic and it doesn't sound like the guitar did acoustically AND it's degraded the acoustic sound. This statement is the starting point unfortunately . The need for on stage acoustic tones is the ONLY reason ever to fit one. I had an A6 and in all honesty it's only virtue is stage use. It's all in the eq on this because the core tone is terrible but this is true of ALL thin bodied acoustic guitar that are designed of only unplugged use . This is why the Gibson Chet Atkins solid body classical and the Yamaha silent guitars are a good idea because they accept this.
Agreed, I should have said - I only care about stage use. I am trying to get a better sound out front and through monitors. That's what I was hoping to get out of using an IR.
Andy, since you had the A6 - any tips you can share on how you made best use of it.
It's a great playing guitar and it sounds 'good'....just trying to see if/how it could be improved.
Thanks.

What you see in the screenshot is what is used is what I own. I can check later tonight to see what I have on disk.

Ok, there needs to be a sticky note for this.....
After going through a few hundred of the Gibson J45 IRs, and finding some that are 'ok', I settled on a blend of 2 and figured I'd move on to see what else I could improve with Eq, etc.

I went to the other pages in the Cab block and used 'Smoothing' - HOLY CRAP! All of the phasey hollow sound - gone!
I'm talking a night and day difference.
I don't know what Smoothing does to the IR @FractalAudio - but it is F'ING brilliant!

Agreed, I should have said - I only care about stage use. I am trying to get a better sound out front and through monitors. That's what I was hoping to get out of using an IR.
Andy, since you had the A6 - any tips you can share on how you made best use of it.
It's a great playing guitar and it sounds 'good'....just trying to see if/how it could be improved.
Thanks.
The problem I had with it was the way it emphersized the attack on the strings with the pick. it almost has a tap noise on contact that once I noticed annoyed me. I actually tried a few different piezo pickups in it but it always seemed to pull out this noise. This and the acoustic tone made me sell it. I got it for the same reasons most people do but ultimately the compromises irritated me more than the purpose .

I think we are all trying to see what great stuff you have in the stands Chris.
Think you've had most of them in Andy!.. well there is a masterbuilt Gretsch, and a couple of Luxxtones, but other than that , yes andy fettled one's...

I get the not liking Piezo thing, never been a big fan, have a lifeson LP for example , and just doesnt work. I like the ghost system on the Paoletti, yes I still get its a comprimise, but works well on many Axe patches, and I tend to blend it in with the tele pickup a tad, so rather than pure acoustic its more a nice ringing clean with acoustic overtones ..sorry not very good at describing sound, but as i say the paolletti does work well, maybe as it has a soundhole body as well helps as opposed to solid body

Think you've had most of them in Andy!.. well there is a masterbuilt Gretsch, and a couple of Luxxtones, but other than that , yes andy fettled one's...

I get the not liking Piezo thing, never been a big fan, have a lifeson LP for example , and just doesnt work. I like the ghost system on the Paoletti, yes I still get its a comprimise, but works well on many Axe patches, and I tend to blend it in with the tele pickup a tad, so rather than pure acoustic its more a nice ringing clean with acoustic overtones ..sorry not very good at describing sound, but as i say the paolletti does work well, maybe as it has a soundhole body as well helps as opposed to solid body
Piezo has it's place and with carful eq it's the best live option but people keep bringing me vintage Martins that sound sublime and then If I play even a normal great acoustic it sounds like a crate. I don't have 20k for an acoustic so I don't stand a chance of getting anything close .
On a serious note If I had 5k and a lot of instruments to try I may just about find one but you would still need to be lucky.

The problem I had with it was the way it emphersized the attack on the strings with the pick. it almost has a tap noise on contact that once I noticed annoyed me. I actually tried a few different piezo pickups in it but it always seemed to pull out this noise. This and the acoustic tone made me sell it. I got it for the same reasons most people do but ultimately the compromises irritated me more than the purpose .
Sorry, last question - did you use your A6 with acoustic strings or electic?
I have the recommended (same as stock) electric strings, but I'm hoping some acoustic strings give it a bit more of a genuine acoustic tone.

Sorry, last question - did you use your A6 with acoustic strings or electic?
I have the recommended (same as stock) electric strings, but I'm hoping some acoustic strings give it a bit more of a genuine acoustic tone.
11's acoustic strings.

Reactions: BBN
Back
Top Bottom