Piezo , pre-amps, options

carlguit

Hi

So I've seen a guitarist using the Ghost piezo pick-ups by Graphtech. He said he was using it with the Acousti-phonic on board device AND the Fishman D.I. ( Imaging ) He then went straight to the mixer and it sounded great. I'd like to get a similar sound but I'm a newbie with Piezo and have so much to figure out to make it work with my set-up.

- Could I simply use the Ghost saddles ( Passive ) and use the Axe Fx to do the same job as the Acousti-phonic and/or Fishman D.I. ?

- Isn't it redundant for this guy to use the Acousti-phonic AND the Fishman D.I. or they really have different purposes?

- Another main thing is that I'm using a wireless. I don't really mind not being able to blend the Magnetic and the Piezo pick-ups. I'd like to simply use a toggle switch to change PU. But apparently the output isn't the same from both type of pick-ups. Can I use the In Front Input of the Axe FX with a passive piezo?

- I use a midi switcher in front of the Axe FX. Adding the Fishman D.I. to certain presets wouldn't be a problem. ( BTW, I use the Axe FX FOH )

- The thing with the Acousti-phonic is that you need to have a battery and even though it lasts 500 hours, I play in a resident band 6 nights a week, 3 hours a day plus band rehearsals 3 times a week plus personal practice. I'd rather not remove my pick guard 6-8 times a year to change the battery. If the Fishman would avoid that situation I'd go for that.

-Also some people complain about the extra noise that it adds to your magnetic pick-ups. Though I read that there is a way to avoid your mag PU to go through the Acouti-Phonic preamps at the cost of not having the option to blend both PU. Which, as I mentioned isn't much of a big deal. I just need a decent acoustic-ish sound for a few songs a night.

So what do you guys think I should do?

- Passive Piezo straight in the Axe Fx?
- Passive Piezo with the Fishman in the Axe Fx or in the Mixer?
- Piezo with the Acousti-phonic ( and I deal with the battery )in the Axe Fx? or straight in the mixer
- Piezo, Acousti-phonic, Fishman in the mixer or Axe Fx

Money isn't really a concern here but I'd definitely like to use the Axe FX for effects and volume control ( exp pedal )

Sorry for the long post and thx for helping

You got a couple options, but there's one main option that I think you'll probably prefer for various reasons..

I've had a piezo installed in my ESP Eclipse (the same Graph Tech one you're referring to) and it is simply amazing. My Eclipse has passive DiMarzio's, however you'll need to power the piezo so you'll need a 9v battery there. You'll see the wiring under the actual saddle bridge. in that second photo below. Unless you want that whole imaging thing (I forget what it's called, but there's another Graph Tech 'midi contraption' that you can buy, that'll make your guitar sound like a piano, a sax, an entire orchestra if that's what you want), but really, if you really wanna turn your electric into an acoustic, then the piezo is all you'll need.

You'll notice I have a small toggle switch sorta in between my 4 knobs (some sexual connotations there!!), which is a 3-way toggle.

Down = piezo off
Middle = piezo + DiMarzios
Up = piezo only

If you're playing FRFR, I doubt you'll need that midi switcher..? I'm not an expert, but I don't reckon you'll need anything else at all - no Fishman thing - nothing. All I've got is the Graph Tech Piezo installed, I've got a great acoustic patch that I use on my Friedman ASM-12 and my ESP sounds EXACTLY like an acoustic steel string. If you've got an Axe-ii, and a decent speaker/cab solution, you'll know what I'm referring to. Here's my Acoustic Piezo patch anyway..

Attachments

• Piezo Acoustic.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
Thx Georgy.

I guess my real question is can I get the ghost system WITHOUT the Acousti-phonic ( the pre-amp inside that needs a battery ) and get similar results using some preamps or EQ's in the Axe Fx or using the Fishman D.I. I already have that midi switcher in front of the Axe Fx and got an available loop. So adding the Fishman wouldn't be a problem.

You can use the Ghost system without the preamp, but the level will be very low. The Axe has plenty of gain to compensate, but you'll also be amplifying any noise coming in from the pickups. You may also run into problems with the high output impedance and losing some high end response. The main purpose of the preamp is to overcome those hurdles.

Hi Faulknier.

And So you think The Fishman D.I. would compensate for that…. I'd rather not have to deal with a battery and avoid the hassle to set-up my guitar so that my regular pick-ups don't go through pre-amp.

Hi very interested can you post any links to sounds available from this configuration ? YouTube?

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom