Piezo chain require amp bloc?

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Just wondering if if it is necessary to use an amp block with piezo input, as the signal does not seem to be strong enough on its own. I just want to use the Axe fx as a 'DI' with the piezo chain and add a touch of reverb/slapback delay without coloring the acoustic sound with a preamp model (being fed to KRK Monitors)...BTW i am using the two separate signal chains each with a mixer in the front as suggested on another thread (mag chain goes to output 2--power amp/cab)...works like a charm but would like to not use an amp model on the piezo. Perhaps in a future update there will be an acoustic model incorporated for piezo/acoustic users.

No. In fact, it's not even technically "necessary" to use an amp on the mag side. You can use any number of blocks to up the gain (NULL FILTER with a LEVEL increase being a common one for this).

Try it. What sounds ok IS ok.

I think someone did some acoustic processor IRs that you might enjoy. Ask here...

the piezo signal coming out of my Framus is one of the hottest signals I ever had - so like Matman said - no need for a amp, although I think the tube pre sim is pretty flat.

Not necessary although I do add a little Tube Pre in parallel, to warm things up.
Same with the cab in parallel, using an acoustic IR.
Like Don my piezo signal is very strong on its own.

Yeah I have been using the tube pre sim as it was the flattest to my ears...I wasn't actually using cab sims, just let them come as is through to my KRK's. I'll definetly serach out the acoustic IR's on the forum! Likely will make a big difference. I used to just run my piezo through my ART MPA Gold-presonus firepod-KRK's--sounded really warm with the ART MPA Gold, but then had no effects to it...wonder if I should try running through the ART-AXE FX-KRK's...got a few options here, thanks for the tips!

you could also try a flat user IR in the cab block to be able to colour the sound with the mic sim only.
the U87 Cond and 67 Cond are pretty sweet.

What I did when I dan my piezo through a mixer is a used an EQ block set flat and just raised the volume. At another time I just lowered the row with the mags in the master out put mixer until I got the balance I wanted. Now I use the fx loop to implement my piezo so I can give it it's own/seperate input volume

What I did when I dan my piezo through a mixer is a used an EQ block set flat and just raised the volume. At another time I just lowered the row with the mags in the master out put mixer until I got the balance I wanted. Now I use the fx loop to implement my piezo so I can give it it's own/seperate input volume

hmm interesting...I've thought about doing it this way via the fx loop...I assume you have your piezo-input 2 to have the piezo routed to output 2? I have the left output 2 used already for running out to my poweramp/cab. i should be able to use the right-input 2; and set the I/O accordingly? Here's what I'm after: output 1 used to my monitors/FRFR basically {with cab sims} output 2(left) to poweramp cab (using fx loop-w/o cab sims) and would like to have piezo with its own signal path..make sense?

I've tried it both ways and I like it more without the amp block.

For me is comp + geq + rev + dly (30 ms, just to fatten the sound). In the layout, adjust the main level and through frfr it sound like heaven with my steel and nylon acoustic guitars.

Here's the preset:

Attachments

• Acustica.syx
    2 KB · Views: 13
hmm interesting...I've thought about doing it this way via the fx loop...I assume you have your piezo-input 2 to have the piezo routed to output 2? I have the left output 2 used already for running out to my poweramp/cab. i should be able to use the right-input 2; and set the I/O accordingly? Here's what I'm after: output 1 used to my monitors/FRFR basically {with cab sims} output 2(left) to poweramp cab (using fx loop-w/o cab sims) and would like to have piezo with its own signal path..make sense?

No actually everything I use goes out to output one. My piezo has it's own signal path in the axe but at output everything goes to out put 1. I run xlr straight to FOH and they feed my back into my monotor. I never use piezo and mags at at the same time so I have an AI switch to mute my mags/activate my piezo at the same time with the push of one button. Then I want mags again I press it again and it mutes piezo/activiate the mags.

Ok gotcha...I like running my piezo at the same time as my mags...even on some rythym patches! I've been after that piezo-petrucci sound lately for some clean patches. It's like sex for the ears:)

Back
Top Bottom