Piece Of Mind- Iron Maiden rythm tone test

H Smith

Inspired
This is Djidoe`s preset. see post in the tonematch section

I made a recording with it because I think it sounds spot on with my guitar
I used original backing tracks from the master tapes..
This sound just like the Marshall used originally JCM 800

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I'm almost sure they used Vox AC30s and MXR Distortion+ exclusively both in studio and live around the time they recorded that album. (Yep, they did metal with Vox AC30s) They switched to JCM800 and then to JCM900 later on. You'll notice a big change in tone after Piece of Mind.

Call me crazy, but I'm almost sure they used Vox AC30s and MXR Distortion+ exclusively both in studio and live around the time they recorded that album. (Yep, they did metal with Vox AC30s) They switched to JCM800 and then to JCM900 later on. You'll notice a big change in tone after Piece of Mind.

Maybe, I never heard of that? Vox??
I thought they always used marshall except Somewhere in Time and SSOASS, gallien krüger

Sounds very close. Yours has a lot more gain, more bass and less treble than the original. Just tweak slightly and you'll be there.

If you can find me a pic or text of iron maiden using a vox amp anywhere I will do a lap of my road naked. :D (and its October out there lol)

They did use hi watt though.

Saw Adrian on TMS -that metal show today! Yeah I have been into them since 'Killers' and they always had Marshall -at least on stage.

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone have the Live After Death CD? In the equipment used part, they listed a bunch of Vox AC30s. I don't recall seeing Marshalls there. Again, the last time I saw that was years ago, so I'm not 100% sure.

Not sure at what point in their career they starting using them, but Maiden is known to have used the Marshall JMP-1 preamp quite a bit. I'm assuming they didn't start using them until at least the mid 80's.

I think it's pretty easy to get a Maiden-esque tone with the Brit Pre model. I've got one patch using the Brit Pre, stereo cab w/Marshall G12M and Basketweave G12M20, and quad chorus and it's definitely very close to the Seventh Son/Somewhere in Time era. Take out the chorus and it does Powerslave tones pretty well too.

Well done, H Smith. Sounds pretty close to my ears here on my laptop. Digging the Maiden being thrown around lately! I've never heard the AC-30 thing either. My recollection is Marshalls (with the odd Hi-Watt from time to time) for everything except Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. (Those were indeed the GK amps.)

By the way, is your forum name a reference to Adrian Smith? His nickname is "H". Or possibly just a coincidence. =P

Well done, H Smith. Sounds pretty close to my ears here on my laptop. Digging the Maiden being thrown around lately! I've never heard the AC-30 thing either. My recollection is Marshalls (with the odd Hi-Watt from time to time) for everything except Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. (Those were indeed the GK amps.)

By the way, is your forum name a reference to Adrian Smith? His nickname is "H". Or possibly just a coincidence. =P

It`s a reference for sure!

This is an old thread, but that sounds great. I'm thinking about getting the FM3. You think it can pull that off? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom