Wish Pickups simulation

Would be great to have this kind of stuff on the AXE-FX 3:

1. Keyztone Exchanger: changes your guitar pickups into different pickups (eg. a strat single coil into a P90)
  2. Zoom AC-3 Acoustic Creator: changes the sound of an acoustic guitar into a different type (eg. an OM-28 into a Jumbo or parlor)

They are mostly EQ-presets, but would be awesome to have this in the rig!

Cheers!

Definitely useful features! Both of these things can currently be done with impulse responses using the cab block or IR player block. The only thing you lack is the IRs themselves (you have to either make them with the tonematch block or find them online). Is your wish for a block that would have built-in presets for these 2 things?

How would this work since you can't turn your personal pick-ups off but can only run them through a pick-up simulator which will overlay your pick-ups with the pick-up simulator? Sort of like running a cab-sim through a non-FRFR cab - that's why the recommendation is to turn cab-sims off when running through a "real" cab. Seems like every pick-up simulation will sound different depending on the guitar and pick-ups that are feeding it. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
As @quark is getting at, you can only do half the job if you don't know what the source pickups are before you add the EQ. When you're trying to make a P90 sound the path there from single coils is very different than from a high output ceramic humbucker. And everyone pickups will be different.

How would this work since you can't turn your personal pick-ups off but can only run them through a pick-up simulator which will overlay your pick-ups with the pick-up simulator? Sort of like running a cab-sim through a non-FRFR cab - that's why the recommendation is to turn cab-sims off when running through a "real" cab. Seems like every pick-up simulation will sound different depending on the guitar and pick-ups that are feeding it. Am I missing something?
Just spitballin here...

Do some reference strumming to get the guitar's input where its output and frequency response is measured then adjusted to be as flat as possible. Then you select the desired pickup in the unit. Put the newly adjusted Pickup Block as the first block in your signal path and get to chiming and chugging away.

Just spitballin here...

Do some reference strumming to get the guitar's input where its output and frequency response is measured then adjusted to be as flat as possible. Then you select the desired pickup in the unit. Put the newly adjusted Pickup Block as the first block in your signal path and get to chiming and chugging away.
If this could work, then you could also apply it to cabs and create an IR which perfectly neutralizes your current cab and then apply the target cab IR to emulate the actual cab you want. In principle, I suppose that could work ... interesting idea - but also spitballin :)

Perhaps Fractal can dive into the hardware market on this: fractal designed single coil and Humbucker modeling pickups, like the Slate and Townsend mics. As flat and middle of the road as pickups can possibly be, they can bake the modeling into the AxeFX (Further increasing value) or sell small hardware devices (like the slate mic pres but far more simple) with usb support (Torpedo Captor X) to load the models into. You‘d even be able to “custom wind” yourself a set of pickups by inputting pre determined parameters. This could really be awesome.

They can profile already existing common pickups on the market, see Waves Abbey Road Studio. You select the headphones you’re using, and whatever it does knows the headphones and then the plugin creates the room sound. So, fractal would have their “screamin Demon” model, and there would be a drop down with several common humbucking pickups and the model would adjust the final sound depending on what you’re actually playing.

I had very poor luck creating an IR that converted one pickup to another. Sounded really bad to me. I probably was doing something wrong, even though everyone said how easy it was. :disrelieved:

Anyway, I had better luck putting a PEQ block at the head of the chain when frantically trying to make one kitchen sink preset work for both humbucker and tele guitars. It had been designed around the humbucker guitar, and putting on some extra level and midrange push along with tailoring the high and low end seemed to work fairly well for me. It kept the tele sounding like a tele, but made it work with the amps and cab IR's better.

Roland has been using modeling technology to simulate not only pickups, but also different bodies, string instruments and beyond, with the VG series since 1985, up to the current SY-1000.

Since I had the first Axe-FX Standard I've been wishing for a V-Guitar modeller with Fractal Audio quality.

That requires a hexaphonic pickup to process the six strings separately, but today it seems like there is technology to process the polyphonic signal coming from the regular pickups. The first example of that is the SIM1 XT-1. A guitar profiler that works with the regular pickups https://www.sim-one.it/

Last edited:
Was about to post links to SIM1 XT1. I’ve got in for a couple of months now. Hmm... years? Got it when it’s first released.

XT1 first have time learn your guitars characteristics first and then, use that existing info/data to blend together with the profiles of the guitar you want to sound.

so far, so good. I’m impressed by it. :)

Back
Top Bottom