Pickups: Direct mounted or Ring/Bezel Mounted?

Direct mounted as in screws into wood? I prefer a ring as there is less wear and tear on the wood when you change pickup height or pickups in general. Although single coil pickup rings look like pants.

Is there sonic difference, if that's what you're asking, I've never noticed.

I prefer the small tone difference and look of direct mount pickups, but they are a pita to height adjust and maintain stability. plus if you change pickups you'll have to drill out the threaded holes of the new ones.

There is a difference. The steel bridge plate on a Tele affects the magnetic field, and hence the sound, of the pickup. With the neck pickup the difference is smaller. A pickup supported on screws and springs from a plastic plate will vibrate differently from screwed directly to the body.

If you direct mount then you can make adjustment easier if you fit nuts, or a screw tapped plate, at the bottom of the pickup cavity.
m2iZuRL.jpg

There is a slight difference. Direct mount tends to be stiffer or “harder” with a bit more focus. With humbuckers,I tend to use whichever one helps enhance the sound of the body. In other words... if it’s a real dense piece of wood I will use bezels and if it’s a lighter piece of wood ,that is lacking definition , I will direct mount. Will it completely change the voice of the guitar.... nope.

Back
Top Bottom