Pickup tone match

I might be super late on this, but could anyone explain how to tone match pickups? Or maybe link a video or such?? That sounds way awesome!!!
The AFX can compare your direct guitar signal to another guitars direct signal, and do what is required to match the frequencies from your guitar to the frequencies from the other guitar, using the 'tone match' feature.
So you DL the clip of the guitar you are interested in as the reference, and use it along with a similar clip of your guitar, playing the same thing, when you follow the tone match procedure in the AFX. It's more complicated to describe than to do, but it is explained in detail in some of the youtube videos. I haven't tried this yet myself or i'd give you a complete step by step. I'm sure someone else can though.

Last edited:
...could anyone explain how to tone match pickups? Or maybe link a video or such?? That sounds way awesome!!!
Download the manual, and check out section 5.31 Tone Matching [TMA]. It's just one page long, and it'll answer most of your questions.

Thank you guys so much! I have checked it out and seems pretty simple, I'll try it out asap! Thank you guys again!

Anyone try getting a single coil tone match for a humbucker guitar? I'm wondering if I could pull off a Gilmore tone with my ibanez Jem

Where is a link to the vault? I just finished a show so got some time coming up and interested to try this out

Some more to go (I´m gonna change strings before recording them): ESP Kamikaze I, Ibanez JEM 7vwh, Fender Richie Sambora HSS (USA), Peavey Wolfgang STD (USA), Suhr S4 Pro.

yes, put the tonematch block first.

i had another idea last night that kept me from sleeping: guitar tone exchange! imagine sharing our pickup tonematches. with the tonematch, you not only get the sound of the pickup, but the entire guitar....wood, pick and all. if someone had a nice 59 les paul with sweet pickups, we could all use that tone.

some ideas i had for a guitar match exchange:

1) send in your guitar tone and receive a link to the vault where all other guitar matches can be downloaded. you have to share to get anything. why? anybody that donates his tone had to buy the guitar and spend some time to tonematch it....that has to be worth at least some respect. too many people sit back and enjoy the free stuff and never contribute anything....at least this way they would have to at least contribute the tone of their guitar. even cheap guitars and can give up some awesome tone, so all would be welcome.

2) name your tonematch according to model/type. for example: my EMG tonematch is titled "EMG 81". could use simple stuff like "Epiphone stock", "Daisy Rock" lol.

3) I'm going to make a youtube video outlining the process to make a tonematch, and how to use the tonematch from someone else.

4) i will start a dropbox folder with the tonematches and give out the link to everybody that donates their guitar(s) match. i have 5 different guitar matches already.

i think this idea will really open up some possibilities. imagine that i have a six string guitar and i need to do a seven string part; i could borrow the tone of Der JD's EMG 707's to make sure that my guitar sounds like it should when tuned down.

some basics:
the tonematch block needs to be the first block in order to catch the guitar tone properly.
you must play a bunch of chords and strings to gather all of your tone.
the tonematch block can be saved, named and recalled in any preset you desire to use tonematch in.

This sounds like a great idea, I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd be interested in hearing what you have and contributing to the tone Party. I just hope I haven't missed the boat. I do have a few nice sounding guitars with vintage and modern, passive and active pickups. Let me know if there is a pickup tonematch video somewhere and how you proceed in playing chords and lines to record a pickup tone match.. Cheers, Perry.

Stupid question here.... since I want to tone match my own guitars, couldn't I simply plug the first one into the front input of the axe as opposed to using a recording like most every write up does? Then use the second guitar and match away. I'd like to avoid the hassle of recording and feel like it eliminates any other potential alterations to the tone.

super cool idea. I look forward to trying this asap. I'm down for sharing TMA's of different guitar/pickups I have.

I'll answer my own question...yes you don't have to record, you can just plug the two guitars in back to back. I LOVE my Peavey Wolfgang Standard for drop D songs, but I wanted to use a kelly for the upcoming gig...less than a minute with the axe and now the Kelly sounds awfully darn close to the Wolfie. This beats the heck out of swapping pickups!!!

Does anyone have a strat with tx specials they would be willing to submit to the guitar vault? Even better if it's a rosewood neck. Would be MUCH appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom