Pickup tone match

I have an 90's Fender ultra with ebony fretboard which has tx specials in middle and neck position. It has Seymour P-Rail in the bridge. I'm also going to be submitting some custom pickups on a tele I have that sound amazing. Hand, scatter wound with cloth wraps just like in the 50's. I have a MM Silhoutte special with real nice DiMarzio's if anyone is interested.

In an effort to expand and streamline this project past the Fractal forum,
submissions can now be sent to this link below that uploads to a folder I made called “Guitar DI Vault - Uploads”.
http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/f...66a0cb107106b0783aab6cc30fe05190c76e465753c37

After I verify that the uploaded files are relevant and not spam...
I have another folder with the entire archive of accepted content in it below.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/20jzr4k6xijc4/Guitar_DI_Vault

These links should last a lot longer than DropBox ones since they are folder-based instead of an ever-changing archive.
You still have the option of downloading everything at once, but now you can also pick and choose too!
Not sure yet if modification dates apply to the contents of the folder but if they do, you'll be able to check on what's new pretty easy.

Since everyone is uploading to the same submission folder, please zip your submissions and be sure to include your preferred alias since they will be unzipped to a folder under that alias as is being done currently.
You can also include text files like I did with my two submissions that are now part of the vault.
First is an Agile Septor 727 with Cepheus passive (not bad stock pickups really ) and an Agile Septor Elite 728 with Bareknuckle Aftermaths. Both mahogany bodied 7-string guitars. Other details are in the description text file in my folder.

@Singtall - Great work. I am very new to the Fractal community and am amazed at all the effort people have put into building the database. I assume these will only work with Axe FX II and not the new AX8. If there is a way would be really interested to know.

no way to use it on the ax8 because there is no tonematch block on the ax8. sorry. i really wish Cliff could add that in.

I haven't yet got me feets wet with this, but it is intriguing. But I am not too optimistic since it seems to me that so many things are going on with guitar signal, that tone matching to a wave file of another guitar (even one played throughout a wide frequency range).

Probably either Cliff or the guys at Kemper will create a whole new product that revolutionizes the way we work with pickups. Usb port? AI sensing of harmonic/dynamic content? I dunno if anything is really possible, but if I know technology, I don't know technology!

But sure glad someone is making a basic library. This is really interesting, and maybe will help me round off some of the untamedness of my PU's in my one guitar.

Has anyone downloaded the entire archive? Mediafire is a no-go for me... I'd like to get the entire set to knock around.

Maybe a service that is actually free like google drive.

Has anyone downloaded the entire archive? Mediafire is a no-go for me... I'd like to get the entire set to knock around.

Maybe a service that is actually free like google drive.

I can arrange that. I use an ad-blocker so MediaFire is never a bother for me.

EDIT: Here's the link to the entire archive in a zip file. I can't promise that this link will stay up forever because I use my Google Drive for a lot of other things but if the link is down for someone reading this, I can temporarily re-upload it if you make the request in this thread or in a private message. My MediaFire links stay up for a lot longer since all I use that for is stuff shared on forums and such.

Sorry to steer the thread in a slightly different direction, but I just found that you can selectively EQ noise out of pickups (especially hum and the hum’s harmonics) by TM-ing your unplayed, humming guitar to silence. A good fix for those annoying crappy light dimmer noises!

That's a pretty cool idea actually!

Last edited:
I have some issue with the pickup tone-matching. It sounds horrible, out of phase, like playing through a metallic can (I am using Axe-FX III, but the TM is basically the same)

No matter if I play my own guitars as reference or if I use one of your recorded WAVs from the vault, it always sounds like metallic-tunnel-reverb.

I don't know what I am missing. I am following the instructions at the video:
- Reference: USB
- Start reference
- Play WAV file
- Stop Reference
- Capture local playing the same chords
- Match
> garbage tone

Edit:
It gets better by setting Amount and Smooth around 80%. Is this the way to go?

Last edited:
I think I've found the answer myself:

Shit Tone Source = Shit Matching

Instead of playing the guitar to capture the pickup curves, I've placed one of these small Bluetooth speakers over the pickup, played a 20-20kHz pure sine sweep signal and Voila! I've got very nice curves. No strange artifacts when setting Amount to 100% and Smoothing to 0%.

These Bluettoth speakers are not linear but, since I the deviation is the same for the Reference and the Local, the matching must be correct.

Guys, are you sure that it sounds good for you when using the guitar as a tone source, and no smoothing at all?

Last edited:
Guys, are you sure that it sounds good for you when using the guitar as a tone source, and no smoothing at all?
TM works fine for me. I matched my Alvarez AD90SK's piezo output to an acoustic recording of a 1936 Martin D-45S. I use it wherever I play that guitar.

Back
Top Bottom