Pickup tone match

Hi all. A big thumbs up to this! Still new to the axefx2 but I will try TM my RG8/Dactivator8 tone soon as well. :)
Quik qn though: r we supposed to play clean chords?

yes, play clean chords. you will still be able to palm mute and chunk once you finish the tonematch. playing clean chords just gives the axe-fx more tone to work with, which makes it more accurate.

Awesome! This is a great Idea...I had a similar TM thought a few weeks ago, but not about pups. It would be pretty complicated, but I was thinking of something along the lines of reverse engineering a recorded guitar tone from an album that you like using TM and micing your cab. I guess the only it would really get you is the "amp in the room" sound that that guitarist had during the recording...anyway i've been too lazy to mess around with it.
But I have a rg7 with DM evolution 7's in it that I could contribute, and a ltd-sc608b with stock EMG 808 pups and 808x pups that I could DI If there would be any interest. I would be interested in MrBlade's RG8 w/ D'activators. Always wanted to try the DA's
Anyways, thanks to everyone for contributing, keep it up!!!

I imagine you would need to have a neutral type pickup (piezo) for this to work somewhat reliably. That is what the Variax does. I've got a JTV 69 Variax on the way. I can't wait to get it.

I imagine you would need to have a neutral type pickup (piezo) for this to work somewhat reliably. That is what the Variax does. I've got a JTV 69 Variax on the way. I can't wait to get it.
Nope. It would actually be harder to match a magnetic-pickup tone if you're using a piezo.

Remember, the idea is to share clips of your favorite pickup/guitar combinations. People will use those combinations to do their own tone matches with their own guitars.

Last edited:
my favorites so far:

coil splitting my humbucker then using the fender standard strat single coil bridge to tonematch. just magical for my style of playing.

EMG combined 50/50 with my Singtall custom is about my favorite humbucker type tone.

at least 5 of the Bareknuckle pickups are very cool indeed.

the PRS with JB goes a long way for many styles of rock.

looking forward to hearing and tonematching more guitars. send in anything you have, even if it's something we already have; because your guitar will have a different tone than someone else's with that same pickup. remember, this is a guitar match, not just a pickup match.

For guys playing 7 and 8 string guitars: if you don't mind, please chord using 6 strings (not the low B string). the clips will tonematch easier if the guy using your clip can play what you are playing without using a 7 or 8 string guitar. and don't worry, the tone will still be perfectly fine when you do use the low strings.

I looked into this last year. The comments are worth investigating: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/60316-original-59-les-paul.html

I experimented with my metal guitar, trying to make it sound like a Strat. It got about half of the way there, still sounding like my metal pickup only with a different EQ; the harmonics were different, etc. It's kinda like the Fishman Aura stuff; it's awesome, but not the same.

If you guys like, I'll upload some dry recordings of my '59 Les Paul clone (with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups) as well as my Standard Strat (with DiMarzio Area 58/58/61 pickups).

Edit:
Also, keep in mind that the audience likes to see things changing on stage; things like different guitars for different songs and finger-moving solos. The performance is almost as much for the eyes as it is the ears. If it wasn't, they could just throw on a CD.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't read all of this thread yet and have yet to try tone matching, but is this something that can be mixed in as a parallel block?

If you guys like, I'll upload some dry recordings of my '59 Les Paul clone (with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups) as well as my Standard Strat (with DiMarzio Area 58/58/61 pickups).

yes please! we'll take all of the tone we can get.

what i found when trying to make a humbucker sound like a strat is that you really have to coil split the pickup to get the right harmonics and etc. when i coil split my pickup and tonematch it to a strat single coil, i can't really tell the difference...other than hum.

please send the clips to me at rossjjohnson@gmail.com so i can out them in the vault for all to share. thanks.

This is a great idea and I've reworked some presets to use some of the tonematches and it just sounds killer. I have noticed the more range the user covers for the dry recording, the better and more articulate the result, so keep that in mind. Some of the BKPs sound good, and I've always wanted those pickups, but some, I think, could benefit from a better recording to better represent the tonality of the pickup.

what i'm thinking of doing is making an audio clip with a tonematch of some of the Bareknuckle pickups for others to use to get that tone. some of the clips were not recorded with as much variety of chords, and as a result they are harder to tonematch. i spent a bunch of time getting most of the Bareknuckle pickups tonematched and sounding right, so i feel like the clips i would make would represent those pickups pretty well. it doesn't matter if it's a copy of the original as long as it sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom