Pickup tone match

Great! I was thinking of this last week as well.
I can submit clips of my Ibanez RG2027x with dimarzio pickups and my Jackson Soloist USA SL2H.

It would be great if someone could post clips of a good acoustic guitar as well. Could work perfect with the piezo of my Ibanez :)

I think you should think of some kind of naming convention. For instance:
Guitar Brand - Type - Pickup

That would result in something like this for every pickup selection:
Jackson - Soloist USA SL2H - Seymour Duncan JB TB4
Jackson - Soloist USA SL2H - Seymour Duncan JB TB4/Seymour Duncan 59 SH1
Jackson - Soloist USA SL2H - Seymour Duncan 59 SH1

right now, i have a folder for each person that contributes, and in each folder is the audio file. naming so far is something like: 1986 Robin Wedge stock, Ibanez RGT42FM D Activator.

even if we end up with several of the same pickup type, the guitar body will make the tone slightly different, so we will still have a good variety.

for shred leads, my 1986 Robin Wedge is hard to beat. it just feels so smooth. the great thing is that now all of my guitars feel that way for lead. add in a tonematch block for the pickup, then a drive/boost and some delay and you have a good lead tone. i have scenes setup where i use the Charvel EMG tone for crunch, then the Robin Wedge for lead.....the best of both worlds.

right now, i am mostly using the bridge pickup for tonematch. when i switch to the neck pickup on my guitar, then still has the flavor of the tonematch, so it works. i guess you could do the tonematch on the neck pickup, and hopefully the bridge humbucker tone would still sound good. problem is....you can't do both at the same time. so you have to chose what's more important for that moment.

i'll make a clip with my son's acoustic later today and add it to the vault.

This is a great idea bc I'm a dumbass and always forget to unplug my guitar/bass cable, so my active pickups are always dead. Now I can get my passive pickups to sound close to my active pickups. Damn I wish it was the weekend already!

This is a fantastic idea. I have my PRS setup to coil split and I could greatly benefit from a Strat match.

I had the exact same ideas as this thread entails a while ago.

I was also thinking of doing the following:

The bassplayer in my band has a cort fretless with bartolini pickups. I really like the tone. I was thinking of doing a TM with his DI and the DI tone of spectrasonics trilian, and THEN running the tonematched DI from trilian through my axe fx bass recording patch instead of the onboard processing.

i forgot all about bass guitar tone.....send me some of that for sure!

10 second audio wav file at 48khz 24bit is about 6.5megs. but almost any file type will work. mp3 or any compressed format will work. and i found that sample rate doesn't matter either when you play back the way i did using windows media player.

i succesfully used one of my tonematch presets tonight at practice. scene one was no tonematch while i played my Charvel with EMG's, then scene 2 changed my pickups to the Robin Wedge and lead work was all liquid and smooth. such a wonderful feature.

Ok I am totally lost, maybe if you talked through your video, or listed every step out however you settled on this. Are we now tonematching 10 second wavefiles through usb? I tonematch a pickup, itself to itself regardless of the amp chosen? I have about 20 guitars and many different pickups.

This idea has been thrown around plenty of times. Last I remember M@ was saying that it wouldn't work particularly well for various reasons. I can't remember specifics...

i will attempt another video with talking through it. the program i used wouldn't allow me to do half the stuff i wanted to do....like add text or voice.

the steps are:

1) add a tonematch block to any preset, but put the block right in front of everything else. first thing in the chain.
2) in the tonematch section; make sure the source is USB. the two options to the right of that can be both left, or right, or a sum....but Cliff says stick to one side.
3) press the button to start sampling the source. on the axe-fx it would be the X button. in axe edit it would be the reference on button.
4) play the audio clip of the guitar you want to sample. right before the audio ends, press the reference button or X to stop the sample.
5) press the local button (or Y button on the front panel)
6) play something on your guitar that sounds similar to the audio reference clip you just played back in step 4. hold the last chord and stop the sampling by pressing Y or the local button in axe edit
7) finally, press enter on the axe or match in axe edit.
8) you may now jam away with the new sound you acquired.

options:
9) save the tonematch block by right-clicking it in axe edit and choose save. name the file anything you want.
10) open another preset and add the tonematch block to the front of the effects chain.
11) right-click and press recall, the choose the preset you just saved in step 9
12) jam away with the new guitar tone.

my email address is: rossjjohnson at gmail dot com (use @ for at, and . for dot, with no spaces) sorry, gotta cut down on the spam from bots finding my email address too easily.

like i said before, i think mp3 files will still work fine. i will try it and see, but i can't imagine losing much tonally.

This is a fantastic idea but I don't understand how you can get a IR of a pickup. The amp and the settings will color the sound won't it? Any help here please?

you are getting the sound of JUST your guitar....no amps or effects at all. the point of this is that your guitar tone CAN greatly effect the sound and feel of a given amp, and some guitars just sound better through certain amps. having these guitar tonematches (not IR/cab) allows you to find a GUITAR that works best through the amp you choose.

i just used Jon's PRS single cut with duncan JB's to change my Charvel with EMG's to the PRS and it sounds great for the 80's metal sounds i like.

This is a fantastic idea. I have my PRS setup to coil split and I could greatly benefit from a Strat match.

the vault has an Eric Johnson strat with all pickup positions (thanks MesaGuitarGuy) and i was really surprised at how cool my EMG's sound after doing the tonematch. not only does my EMG equipped guitar sound like an EJ strat, but it's totally quiet!

i did some tonematches of every guitar in the vault.....and i'm exhausted. i thought i would report my findings this far:

all of the Bareknuckle pickups rock. very easy to get a tonematch...as long as you play some djent like the audio file did.

some of the other clips gave me issues. the duncan sh1, sh13, sh14 for example. i ended up normalizing the clips, then dropping them down 6db. then i converted them to 48k....still weird tones coming out. the end verdict: the audio clips must contain more than two chords played for 5 seconds to tonematch correctly.

***again, if you make a clip, play some chords like E, A, D, G, then hold out one chord and let it ring out. make the clip about 10 seconds.

things that don't matter: overall volume. format/file type.

i took a PRS with JB's wav file and converted it to MP3 at 128k and it worked perfectly....because the author played several chords for about 10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom