Pickup Suggestions for a Suhr Classic Pro

gaaaaaah all mahogany! I bet that sounded so good with custom 5, the guitar that i discovered the custom 5 in was an LTD Viper 400, all mahogany Korean SG with the earvana nut, rosewood fretboard as well. I constantly watch ebay for standards, they are like unicorns, but i don't buy them anymore. not right now at least.
I'm actually about to pull the Custom 5 and put a set of Abraxas in it from Bare Knuckle. :)

Mine is all single coils. So I have the matched set of MLs.

So weird thing. Took the Suhr out tonight and with the band I liked the V70s more than I did solo’ed at home. Still not the best, but not the worst either. They are for certain their own thing with some midrange honk that I’m not fond of.

On the fence. Maybe I should learn to like it’s uniqueness?
Could you give a quick review on the V70s? :p Anything notable other than the midrange honk thing? Midrange honk... I wonder what that sounds like.

Could you give a quick review on the V70s? :p Anything notable other than the midrange honk thing? Midrange honk... I wonder what that sounds like.
I should record some comparisons with my EoB Strat. When you hear them side by side the differences are stark. But @Rex said it pretty well. It’s more Knopfler than Gilmore.

I’d like to stay HSS but I want more scoop on the neck and middle pickups and more body on the bridge pickup. Currently has SSV V70 V70 in it and I’m not happy with any of them. They all have to go.

It’s alder with a rosewood board on maple neck.

Suggestions?
EDIT - just saw this doesn't apply because you went Silver Sky (a generally warmer guitar than most 60s strats). Here it is anyway:

I have an SSH, alder with rosewood on maple and am very happy with Fender custom shop 69 for neck and middle and Tom Holmes for humbucker for variety covers, Elvis to Presidents of the United States of America.

It's a Tyler Landau Classic, but to nail variety covers the pickups had to go (into storage). The Tom Holmes humbucker was costly, but it's been flawless for over a decade so no regrets there.

I replaced the stock singles with Budz https://budzguitars.com/budz-pickups/budz-s-style-pickups/, which were good, but when I put in the 69s this fall it was a "there it is" experience -- all the single coil 60s and 70s covers that were dialed "so close" were suddenly dead on.

The 69s have the right vintage scoop, but more importantly a smoother more extended high end vs. most on the market. People can argue "right scoop", resistance, etc., but there's a reason (beyond sheer availability in the 70s) that this pickup type is on so many recordings. It sounds good in a mix, it's a musical pickup, and it takes pedals well without muddying up the mix. Not bad for street price of about US $50 each.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom