Pickup selection with the Axe FX.

octatonic

Experienced
I just had an idea that I wanted to run past you all.

If I put a stereo jack into my guitar and wired the neck humbucker to one output and the bridge humbucker to another.
If I connect each pickup then to individual inputs onthe AFX and then use a mixer in AFX to pan between them (on an expression pedal).

Anyone tried this or anything similar?

I designed and built a guitar with my Dad back in 1995 that instead of a pickup selector; it has a pan pot so you can blend between the bridge and neck humbucker. It's really brilliantly simple to use and very effective in practice. It's amazing to me, still, that this isn't a popular option on guitars.

So while not the same as what you are considering, it's very parallel to the same concept.

Very useful option indeed. Almost all of my basses have pickup blend, and it's really very effective if one sound or the other doesn't quite get you there, because usually there's a sound in between that will hit the spot.

I set up a 3pup GMP this way. I took the neck tone knob and put in a mix pot instead, with a center detent. This way, it sort of acts like a Les Paul, except that the neck pup positions could be any mix of the middle or neck mini-hum. Works very well.

Hmmm....interesting idea. Sending the output of each pickup separately to the AxeFx (rather than blending on guitar) could present a whole lot more options than just panning between them. You could maintain a separate signal chain for each in parallel.

I'm a keep it simple type, but I'd be curious to hear what that could sound like.

Back
Top Bottom