Pickup matching?

Lots of assumptions... how do you recreate a 1982 ES335 with Shaw humbuckers? Or a vintage Strat with Abby single coils? Sure you can recreate a humbucker or Strat single coil sound, but the feel, and the mojo of the real thing would be nearly impossible to capture unless you had access too a vintage collection, in which case why not play the real thing and enjoy the aesthetics in the process?
#1 I, like many others can't afford them.
#2 I, like many others don't have room on stage nor time to switch out those guitars for different songs
#3 IF you really feel this way, why are you using an Axefx....your argument is exactly the same as don't use the axe, buy the amp and effects you want to use.

The problem is : how give a simulation of something, like for exemple a di marzio super distortion, as each guitar start with a different pickup . Probably only a midi system can do that, something that completely erase the guitar himself at the start .

I want my guitars to sound like my guitars. I've got a aluminium neck ECG with ECG humbuckers, I want to hear that "clang" and brightness in whatever amp model and cab I play through. I don't want it sounding like my sludgy les paul with PAFs.

how do you recreate a 1982 ES335 with Shaw humbuckers? Or a vintage Strat with Abby single coils?
Well, how do you recreate the sound of a boutique amp like a Dumble?

Sure you can recreate a humbucker or Strat single coil sound, but the feel, and the mojo of the real thing would be nearly impossible to capture unless you had access too a vintage collection
The SIM1 XT-1 is a product that doesn't simply reproduce the sound of specific pickups. It captures the sound of a guitar as a whole, and many people report that it captures the feel(eg. compression), as well. There's also a free repository of guitar imprints, similar to Axe-Change or Kemper's Rig Exchange, where users can share imprints of their guitars with others, in effect providing access to a variety of guitars some users might not be able to afford or have access to.

Last edited:
I want my guitars to sound like my guitars.
Of course, but if I could make my guitar sound like a variety of other guitars that I might not be able to afford or have access to, why not? It's the same reason people buy an Axe-Fx or use EQ matching. They want access to amps or tones they may not be able to afford or have access to otherwise.

Last edited:
The problem is : how give a simulation of something, like for exemple a di marzio super distortion, as each guitar start with a different pickup . Probably only a midi system can do that, something that completely erase the guitar himself at the start .

No MIDI is required. Currently there are 2 ways to achieve that:
1) Tone Matching (aka profiling or tone imprinting), like the SIM1 XT-1 or the Axe-FX ToneMatch block,
2) Modeling technology. e.g.: what the Axe-FX does at the AMP block

The second one is the most accurate. The Roland V-Guitar is one example of Guitar Modeling technology (VG-99, GP-10, SY-1000). It requires a hexaphonic pickup to process the strings separately, though.

Here is an example. This is not Guitar-to-MIDI conversion, this is pure modeling that naturally preserves all the playing nuances, like when you play through the AMP block of the Axe-FX.

Last edited:
Of course, but if I could make my guitar sound like a variety of other guitars that I might not be able to afford or have access to, why not? It's the same reason people buy an Axe-Fx or use EQ matching. They want access to amps or tones they may not be able to afford or have access to otherwise.
I actually got the Axe III because I was tired of carrying a Matchless HC30 and Kemper to every gig. The fact that I have access to hundreds of amps is pure gravy, although I never use them (I use the DC30 EF86 model 99% of the time). ;)

I actually got the Axe III because I was tired of carrying a Matchless HC30 and Kemper to every gig. The fact that I have access to hundreds of amps is pure gravy, although I never use them (I use the DC30 EF86 model 99% of the time). ;)
If you spend some time perusing comments from Axe-Fx users, you'll realize a lot of users love having access to many amps they can't afford or will never have access to, such as a Dumble or Trainwreck. For recording, it gives users a huge palette to draw from and also allows them to experiment with amps they may never have considered otherwise. As the old saying goes, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Personally, I use numerous amp models in the Axe that I never considered buying before, and even if I wanted to buy them, I don't have the space for them. The same applies to guitars.

The bottom line is, having access to all of the amps/guitars a person would ever want in a single box is a matter of convenience for a lot of people.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you would want this? I want my Tele to sound like a Tele, my Strat to sound like a Strat, Gretsch like a Gretsch, etc... Can you elaborate on where this would be beneficial?
MY own personal reason:

I have one guitar, an Ibanez AZ, that is set up perfectly. I got it PLEK'd when I bought it and it has remained a perfectly set up and amazingly wonderful guitar to play ever since I bought it. Neck is straight, comfy, zero string buzz, low action, stainless frets that are perfectly level and crowned all up and down the neck, I mean it's literally perfect. Did I mention it's perfect? Lol...

Unfortunately though, the stock pickups kind of suck for heavier tones. They are insanely bright.
So switch the pickups out then, why don't ya?

Well, for cleaner tones, the stock pickups are really unlike anything else I have, and they work great.

Anyway...I have other guitars, but none play as well as that one does.

If I could make it sound like some of my other guitars, that would be absolutely amazing.
I've tried using EQ and all kinds of other things, with not great results.

I have tried using the TM block to match pickups and it doesn't quite work :🤷: Maybe I'm "doin it wrong" or it's just not meant to be used that way.

MY own personal reason:

I have one guitar, an Ibanez AZ, that is set up perfectly. I got it PLEK'd when I bought it and it has remained a perfectly set up and amazingly wonderful guitar to play ever since I bought it. Neck is straight, comfy, zero string buzz, low action, stainless frets that are perfectly level and crowned all up and down the neck, I mean it's literally perfect. Did I mention it's perfect? Lol...

Unfortunately though, the stock pickups kind of suck for heavier tones. They are insanely bright.
So switch the pickups out then, why don't ya?

Well, for cleaner tones, the stock pickups are really unlike anything else I have, and they work great.

Anyway...I have other guitars, but none play as well as that one does.

If I could make it sound like some of my other guitars, that would be absolutely amazing. I have tried using the TM block to match pickups and it doesn't quite work :🤷: Maybe I'm "doin it wrong" or it's just not meant to be used that way.
I don't know how much time you're spending playing clean but I'd just ditch the stock pickups. Cleans are not worth keeping pickups for unless they're your main tone. You sound more like an inherently high gain player.

I don't know how much time you're spending playing clean but I'd just ditch the stock pickups. Cleans are not worth keeping pickups for unless they're your main tone. You sound more like an inherently high gain player.
Not just clean, but cleaner. Basically anything that isn't high gain and tons of distortion, they work great and they're very unique sounding, and I play all kinds of music, from jazz to metalcore to TDM to prog to alternative / indy rock.

I don't think I would ever really consider ditching them and turn that guitar from what it is now into a metal only guitar, would rather just record with another guitar, for now anyway.

For live playing it doesn't really matter, it's so loud that I doubt anyone can really hear the nuances of the pickups.

Back
Top Bottom