Pickup COLOR Change (Fender Single Coil)

JRod4928

Power User
I want David Gilmour signature pickups (SSL-5, CS 69, and Fat 50), but I want them in black, which I don't think exist. Is it possible to remove and replace the stock white/cream covers with another color like black? Are they sealed pickups that I'd be destroying if I removed the cover?

In the end I want black pickups/knobs with red lava pickguard, black body, maple fretboard. :encouragement:

If I am correct about these pickups, they're physically the same as stock single coils, having six exposed pole pieces. It's no big deal to replace the pickup covers, as they just slide over the top of the pickups, and have holes for the pole pieces to go through. Probably worth verifying with the manufacturer, but I've replaced the pickup covers on many of my strat pickups.

You can swap the covers on many standard sized Fender style single coils. Fender support will be able to tell you for certain which covers will fit. The Duncan SSL-5 should be fine for a cover swap too. Standard single coils are usually wax potted and cleaned before the plastic cover goes on. The covers usually just slide right off. Some companies like EMG use epoxy for potting and their pickups are often permanently sealed shut.

Back
Top Bottom