Pickup Choice! Help out!:D

I got an Ibanez RGD7 (basswood) and i want to replace the stock pickups. The choices are : BK Painkillers or Aftermaths. My local dealer got me a really sweet used deal for Aftermaths, and from various other sources, most of the suggestions were leaning towards them for basswood. Any thoughts on the aspect guys?:)

I believe Aftermaths are one of the "go to" suggestions for basswood 7 strings on the BK Forum. You might ask there, those guys know their stuff about pickups.

I have no experience with the Aftermaths, but have 2 Steinberger type guitars - one with a matched set of Holy Divers and one with a Trilogy Suite single in the neck and a ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge. I love the Nailbomb, it totally changed the guitar for the better compared to the EMG's it had. I also have a real Steinberger that's about to get outfitted with 2 Slowhands and alnico Nailbomb. I can't wait!

hahah! nailbomb sounds nice to bo honest as well! ill go for a first swing with the aftermaths that i found cheap firs and see how it goes further more.

do i need to re-wire the guitar?like when you change to EMG707's? or this is just for the active pickups?

I have Aftermaths in Mahogany and they are awesome (both in a 6 and a 7). I don't think they'd work well in Basswood at all - if you want a BKP for Basswood, the Miracle Man is the way to go. (Unless you're going for obnoxiously bright djent tone, then you may actually like it, no offense).

And no, you don't need to change anything if you go from passive to passive. Active pickups require new pots and the battery wiring, but passives are a straight swap.

You should be good with the pots (I'm guessing they're 500k) and all that if the guitar is currently stock. You'll just be swapping the pickups themselves. Just make sure you go by BK's wire color codes if you plan on doing any coil splitting as they could be different compared to what's in already in there.

Edit: That's right, it's the Miracle Man that usually gets recommended for basswood...

Last edited:
You should be good with the pots (I'm guessing they're 500k) and all that if the guitar is currently stock. You'll just be swapping the pickups themselves. Just make sure you go by BK's wire color codes if you plan on doing any coil splitting as they could be different compared to what's in already in there.

Edit: That's right, it's the Miracle Man that usually gets recommended for basswood...

I had an RG7620 with a MM in the bridge, and it sounded absolutely fantastic. (For reference, I play shred/power metal type stuff).

Yeah man i saw your post in MG as well:) i have a lot of great options at the moment! Some Dimarzio Crunchlabs, The X2N's, Miracle Man and finally the Aftermaths that arrive in one week. It was a sweet deal so i took the chance. if i dont like em ill test the other options as well, thankfully Dimarzio's and A miracle man are available in the shop, so ill go and setup my guitar to test em as soon as possible:D

Back
Top Bottom