PICKUP CHOICE for CUSTOM Steinburger Mahogany body

I have built two killer Steinberger GL style bodies made from Mahogany. The necks are both Moses Graphite with no face dots. look sweet. I got the first one together, put a set of Seymour Duncan Holcombs from MJ. they were from the first hand wound run of 200 sets. Now I am trying to figure out what to put in his Twin Brother. I dont want two of the exact same guitar so was thinking maybe a different model or a different brand altogether. Like the original GL they have 2 Hum configuration. I am looking at the following, trying to keep in mind it's Mahogany body with a Graphite neck.

I play many different styles of metal. Death Metal / Black Metal / Progressive Metal / 80s Metal

SD:
Distortion Set
Custom 5 / 59n
JB/Jazz

BKP:
Cold Sweat
EMerald
PainKiller
Holy Diver

Dimarzio:
Super3b / Super2n
D Activator set
Fred / PAF joe

Anyone with any experience can chime in. I already tried the Dimarzio Titan set and did not like them at all, not the sound nor the feel. They seemed bland / dull. lacked character.
From BKP i tried the Aftermaths and did not care for them. Too dry. flat.

I've had the JB/Jazz and Dimarzio Mo'Joe/PAF Pro in the same guitar, mahogany body, and without question the better sounding to me were the Dimarzios. They have something in the midrange that just sounds sweet at high gain.

I ended up ordering a set of Dimarzio DeActivators. They will be in by New Years. We shall see, if they are too hot i have a MoJoe/PAF Pro set as well which is a bit cooler. I hear the Deactivators have some Insane Harmonics going on. I agree that the Dimarzios with the mismatched coils have a clear punchy midrange and lots of harmonics. Deactivator/Fred/MoJoe/Evo/Evo2
I will report back when they are installed. If they are too hot I will move to the MoJoe/PAF Pro set.

Come to think of it. All my duncans have scooped mids, moderate bass and cranked up highs.
Custom/Omega/Full Shred/ They sound clear, but weak at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom