Picking between Axe-FX II XL+ or AX8

SleVeran

Hello guys,
I know there's a bunch of discussions on forums that talk about this topic but i have yet to get to a conclusion with myself about which way i should go and i was hoping you guys could help me out.

I have a chance to buy -
a USED Axe-FX II XL+ (with purchased 3rd party Presets and IRs) or a new AX8 for 550$ less.

I mostly play at home through my Monitors and don't find myself switching between a bunch of presets/pedals mid playing. I use mostly a very nice exactly the way i like it high gain channel and maybe for intros of songs i'd start off sometimes on a chorus/clean kinda sound.

Now for the roots of my dilemma :

1) Audio interface :
Option 1 : Run the Axe-FX II through a Scarlett 2i4 and use the Mix knob to set the right volume levels between PC and Instrument

Option 2 : Run the Axe-FX II straight to the monitors using the built in USB interface and control the volume of the backing tracks using the app's volume bar (Example : Youtube) to control the levels.

Option 3 : Run the Axe-FX II straight to the monitors using S/PDIF Output on my desktop to play backing tracks through it and control the volume through Windows Volume control.

Which way should i go about this? What is the most preferred and popular way?

So I heard that using the built in Audio interface on the Axe-FX II will make it inconvenient for me to adjust the right volumes of a setup for each song and preset. that said I'll probably need to run it into something like a Scarlett 2i4 that'll give me the possibility to balance the volumes between Input and Computer while direct monitoring the inputs from the Axe to my monitors for zero delay while playing that'll add a good amount of money to holding my Axe-FX II and using it conveniently
Or maybe you guys have different solutions to that? or maybe i'm misunderstanding and there's a way to set up the volumes right for everything? I heard guys just having their Axe preset output a certain fixed level of volume while controlling the Backing track's using the in app volume controls, how is the experience with that? I do have a S/PDIF OUTPUT on my computer, does that help by maybe connecting computer sounds through there? will i be able to control the volume of the PC sound through the operating system and leave it fixed at a desirable level for my monitors to deal with then and leave the USB connected just in order to record my inputs while playing in direct monitoring?

2) Foot-Switches :
I am though new to this and I may find myself having to switch Clean to dirty to lead sounds in a song at some point if i get really picky with exact sounds for covers especially. So the sound foot-switches MIGHT be a nice extra at some point in life? although i'm mainly thinking of having it on my desk but i'm not quite sure yet. Maybe that's something you'll always need especially when covering various kinds of sounds and want to play along without having to stop the song in the middle. it is gonna be my only way to play so it would be a bummer to learn a whole song and then not be able to switch between sounds while playing along with it? or maybe there's an alternative way to do it without the MFC or the included AX8 Footswitches

3) Tone Matching :
Tone matching is not supported on the AX8, and for covers i record i'd like to have the ability to get as close as possible to the real deal. so my question about this one is how good is the Tone matching on the Axe II and do you guys find it useful at all?

4) CPU Limitation :
Most of my experience is mostly a good distortion pedal and an amp. point is i'm not such an expert but i really wanna dig into the Preset building on the unit when i finally decide which one i should get. Is the only one cab, one head and certain reverbs etc' a creativity killer to a certain extent? or is there so much and more than enough on the AX8 alone that learning and creating stuff would be a great experience and not limiting in any way to get good Heavy metal kinda sounds and some nice melodic smooth Lead sounds?
How has that met you in your use of the AX8? anyone can input on difficulties they had? or if not then say so as well ?

So considering all the above, and depending on your answers :
1) I might have to buy an external interface either way with Axe II and AX8 Unless there's a good way to work the volumes with the built in Axe II stuff.
2) Depending on the future of my playing i might and probably likely to find myself in need of foot switches
3) This depends on your guys's experience as i know nothing about how good or bad the Tone matching is
4) This depends on you guys as well, I didn't get to play with either of the devices and i wouldn't know so i'd love to hear opinions from people that had both or moved from one to the other and how they felt about it.

Sorry for the long thread, trying to cover as much as possible for my decision :|
Thank you guys in advance for helping me out =]

Get the axe XL. If you are worried about those things, dont limit yourself. The ax8 is nice but its good for playing live and portability. If you are playing at home, a normal midi pedal should be all you need. Just my 0.02c.

;)

1) Adjusting volume on the pc is not a big deal at all.
Btw, there is a USB return level control in the Axe FX I/O options, in which you can adjust the volume of computer sounds.
Also, you can send computer sounds from analog Output 2, whilst the guitar sound from Output 1.
This will let you control the volume of either source independently with the knobs on the front panel.

If your monitors have two inputs, you are set.
If not, you could just use a merging adapter...

2) The cheapest footswitch will do. I have a FCB1010, and never have I thought that I need anything else. That's like 150 bucks.
Sure, the fractal controlers do give a few bells and whistles, but really - they are not essential at all... Definitely not a thousand of dollars worth.

3) You don't need tone matching to get closest to the real thing. The axe fx already does that.
Tone matching is used to get the Axe to sound closest to a specific recording. It's just an EQ match, to be blunt. You can get a VST for that.
Personally, I never used the Tone match. I don't want to sound like anyone else.

4) I have the Axe FX 2 XL. Even tho my presets are complicated, most of the time, only an Amp and Cab are active. I do use effects tho, but I don't ever go crazy with them. In this case - the AX8 can do all that with ease.
The complexity of my presets comes from me connecting two guitars to one Axe FX, and also using the axe to add a delay effect on vocals.
Since there is only one amp block in AX8, you can't connect two guitars.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the XL+. The AX-8 is an XL+ light and I personally found it to be lacking in DSP power. But then again I like using a lot of FX. Delays and reverb eat up a lot of DSP. Thing is, don't think this is like the Line 6 Heli. If you take the Helix, both the floorboard and rack units are basically the same. Line 6 just stuck the floorboard unit into a rack and added some minor extras to it. Fractal designed the most uncompromising modeler that they could and they could only make it fit into a rack. In order to fit it into the floorboard stuff had to be cut. A lot if you ask me. If you get the AX-8 and think, wow, what a good unit this is, realize that the XL+ was even better. And to think then that the III is even better then that. ;)

Thank you both very much for your replys,
Now I would like to ask - what are the pros the axe-fx would have over a VST(like Bias) considering my case of use is only for home setups? Is it a waste to go the Axe way ? Or are VSTs not as good

Thank you for your help again :)

Thank you both very much for your replys,
Now I would like to ask - what are the pros the axe-fx would have over a VST(like Bias) considering my case of use is only for home setups? Is it a waste to go the Axe way ? Or are VSTs not as good

Thank you for your help again :)
Both BIAS and Axe sound good.
Though, if you are aim is to sound the closest to the real deal as possible, BIAS is not your choice.

I'd recommend to also check out the Helix.

Both BIAS and Axe sound good.
Though, if you are aim is to sound the closest to the real deal as possible, BIAS is not your choice.

I'd recommend to also check out the Helix.

Hey thanks for the reply,
I have looked at the helix but after doing all those A/B comparisons and trying to figure out which one i like i found out that out of all the modelers Helix was probably my least favorable one.. people say you need custom IRs to make it come alive but idk about that.. even with a custom IR i found it to be less appealing in sound.. do you happen to have any sort of experience with Bias/Axe-FX II or Helix? and people have told me that by now Bias FX + Bias AMP can rather easily achieve the sound the Axe-FX does. what are your thoughts about that?

Hey thanks for the reply,
I have looked at the helix but after doing all those A/B comparisons and trying to figure out which one i like i found out that out of all the modelers Helix was probably my least favorable one.. people say you need custom IRs to make it come alive but idk about that.. even with a custom IR i found it to be less appealing in sound.. do you happen to have any sort of experience with Bias/Axe-FX II or Helix? and people have told me that by now Bias FX + Bias AMP can rather easily achieve the sound the Axe-FX does. what are your thoughts about that?
I've tried BIAS before, and I didn't like the sound at all.
But it was a while ago... Maybe it has improved since.

i've listened to some comparisons between Helix and the Axe, and I wouldn't say it was that bad...

Back
Top Bottom