Pick ups . . passive vs. active thru Axe Fx unit - your opinion

Hi Guys, having been a passive p/up guy, I'm curious about also using a gtr with active pups thru my Axe units.
I do play a WIDE range of Rock classics from today thru the years.

Imagining the actives would drive even more, the bigger/heavier presets I have..? Would the cleaner tones suffer? Any differences noticed, at all?
Thanks for any input.

I have everything, honestly they all sound good; u just get the usual aspects of the pickups even more defined/accentuated whether good or bad.

I play an ESP with active pickups, a Godin with passive, an acoustic with undersaddle and a bass with Fralin passives all thru an Axe Ultra. The cleans are pristine studio quality always from one guitar to another. The only quirk with actives are they are sometimes much hotter. It took me a while to match guitar swaps that could both use my go to presets and I also sometimes create a duplicate preset with altered volume for a particular instrument.

My $0.02, actives sound dead & cold no matter what you play them through. Maybe some people dig that (some obviously do), and that's fine, but I'll stick to my passives.

Back
Top Bottom