Pick up the 1968 Pre-Rola G12M 20Watt and tell me you preferences!

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
Pick up the 1968 Pre-Rola G12M 20Watt and tell me your preferences!

Hi Folks,

the cab-IR Crew visited the www.marshall-forever.de museum and shot 10 super rare Cabinets from 1965 to 2005. Pre-Rolas, pulsonic-cone, Checkerboards, Pinstripe grills, 8x10" Alnico, Limited Editions (Jimi Hendrix Oversized 1982, 8x12 Pete twonsend with T652 15W Alnicos "Silver", G65, V30MF mode four, T75 from 1981,...), and and and .... also a super cool Orange 4x12 with G12H30, all original from 1971....

As some knows from the cabIR.eu MR-1960AX-G12M25 cab, i like the idea of different "virtual Amp voicings" beside the MIC+DI FLAT AMP (NO AMP) Colorless variant and the original Tube-Amp answer.

Now, i try to pick up the most liked (best) amp variants for the upcoming collection and hope, you could help me out by naming your favourite ones! So here`s the "game":

Two Shots: Same Cab (1960A from 1965, loaded with Pre-Rola G12M 20Watt from 1968 ), Same speaker (B - bottom right), same Mic (SM57), but two Mic positions: A and B.

But each A and each B has 9 Amp voicings, including the MIC+DI and the MIC only ... but i won`t tell you, which is which. shooting Amp was a 410H Satriani (the blue one) with resonance and presence to ten ... *ugh. So, everybody should easily find out, which IRs are the MIC only, full tube Amp colored :) The 7 in-between voicings are blended ones with the data of the AMP DI answer of the dedicated Cab.

In the ZIP you`ll find A1, A2, ... A9 and B1, B2, B3...B9 = 2x 9 IRs.

I would really appreciate, if you give me a priority list as feedback, which ones you prefered the most from each Mic Position, like:

1. A5
2. A3
3. A7
and so on....

1. B1
2. B6
3. B7
and so on....

Differences can be huge and subtle ... i`m hoping for a feedback with clear preferences, so i can put the most liked amp variants into the final package.... so, it`s not about liking or disliking the IR as is, more the priority of liking the amp variants... so, beside that, hopefully you all find out, which ones are the MIC+DI ;) hehe...

By the way: Those two shots are two of ...many more with 8Mics - each cab. Also room mics and rear edge positions will be there ;) And ... we raise our own capturing method to a new level again....

And now have fun with the IRs from this Cab:
DOWNLOAD: ownCloud

public.php

Thank you in advanced :)

Last edited:
Very cool - thank you!

1. A1
2. A2
3. A6

1. B1
2. B2
3. B5

Tried them individually & mixed them in CabLab - the lower-numbered IRs have a more pronounced midrange (which I prefer) & the higher-numbered once have more sparkle. Very nice when mixed!

Very cool - thank you!

1. A1
2. A2
3. A6

1. B1
2. B2
3. B5

Tried them individually & mixed them in CabLab - the lower-numbered IRs have a more pronounced midrange (which I prefer) & the higher-numbered once have more sparkle. Very nice when mixed!

thanks for your priorities! voicing 1 and 2 will be definiteley in the pack! 1 is MIC+DI/FLAT by the way, 2 included a virtual amp voicing, 9 includes the overhelmed real Satriani Amp with presence and resonance to ten!

I cant' give a list, it would take me too much time to sort them all, but A3 is the clear winner for me. More body and still cutting

had a chance to audition the ir's this morning. no mixing, just the raw ir's as is. I like A1 the best - followed by B1. didn't care for the others (sounded too thin for my taste). A1 could easily become my go to cab for the 100w plexi. The mids are right where I like them!

A1 could easily become my go to cab for the 100w plexi. The mids are right where I like them!

Nice, if you like it. But all those "As" and "Bs" are only two Single Mic position shots from one cabinet from the same speaker of this one cabinet... well, we did shot 11 cabinets, so perhaps there could be some more interesting stuff coming in the nearer future, at least for Cab-Lab owners.... ;)

public.php

... because ... this was only a testify for the virtual amp selections...:)

i have cab-lab but usually opt for ready to go IR's and IMO, A1 is ready to go! Certainly interested in hearing the rest of the cab's on that list (especially the G12H30 from 1971)! Nice work!

I like the A8 and the B3 most. But I'm pretty sure, that the best IRs of this collection are yet to come.

BTW: the "Wolverine G12H80" were built in 1998 (handcrafted in the UK, 2000 speakers were produced).

Thanks for these! Sampled them with Jumped Plexi.

1. A2
2. A7
3. A9 (yeah, that one!)
4. A3

after that, it's a wash.

1. B2 (My favorite of the lot)
2. B1
3. B7

Thanks for these!! Sounds like some cool stuff on the way.
For me ( tested on one patch) A1 my fav, then probably B3, followed by B1.

Hope this helps!

Thank you all for giving me some feedback! Well, you and the guys from the german Forum almost prefer MIC+DI / no Amp color. What`s a good (and the right) thing!

Because Amp color influences will do sometimes things, you can`t replace by other Mic.-Positions or simple EQing, I still will keep my "virtul amp voicings" as add-on in my packages. Why not?!

So ... MIC+DI = 1 (A1 was mostly prefered). 2 = (reduced) Tube color voicing all over the frequency wide. 3 = MIC+DI flat beyond the low resonance peak, the Tube Amp did (known as "P" voicing from the cabIR.eu 1960AX cabinet)... Those three and another i still have to think about will do it into the final packs ...

Thank you all for giving me your thoughts!!! :)

I did a couple of tests with this ir's on saturday and my favorit was the A3 with the "P" voicing (pushed low end flat highs) I made 2 short vids of the A1 and the A2 ir's as I'm at the moment not in good health and can't play very well. Both ir's I did without any Drive or Comp pedals/Blocks. With A1 vid I used my 2 Xotic pedals (EP Booster and AC Comp) from 0:32 and at the A2 vid from 0:39. I used only the single mic SM57 position of the Marshall ir 1965 with Pre Rola G12M20W speakers from 1968. Once you mix them there probably will be even better.......

Here is A1 capture:

And here is the A2 capture:

Tony, ... this sounds amazing just with this little teaser single Mic IR from one speaker of this Cab. Amazing! Looking forward, what you will get out from the rest, if it`s finished :) Great playing as always!

Hopefully you`ll get healthy as fast as possible! My best wishes for that!

Back
Top Bottom