Pick the real amp...

With my ears, I could only get it down to three or four. I had to look at the waveform. #3 was the oddball which was the real amp. It was more compressed than the others.

Last edited:
Wondering if any of those who felt they heard the difference in pick attack find any difference in Q4.0beta. I never heard it so I wouldn't know.

I think I'll shoot a video about this. One that clearly shows what's happening that it's 100% apples to apples: real amp + cab + mic VS Axe-Fx amp block + cab block with an IR of that same mic position going into the same interface with the same DI signal. Maybe I'll even do a tone match as a third part of the comparison. That would leave us with 3 options and I bet no one can tell which is the real amp. Soon...
Wait till Q4 is released ;) guess it will make it even harder for the golden ears and it will be 99.5% accurate.

Again (new axe fx users info) i myself love axe fx and i'm super happy and just like and follow the techies and forum threads as a daily routine instead of depressing news. I do not use stomps or real amps anymore (eeeh just amplification to my cabs as i do not own a solid state frfr amp). But sold or do not use any other amp i own or owned as with some minor tweaking i have better results and much more amps then I owned.

For those who can hear the scratchiness, have you checked if with Q4 firmware it's still there? Because one of the changes I hear in this update is a rounder and more pleasant attack, so maybe cliff could have find something wrong inspired by this discussion, who knows..

It's just another metal guitar sound, could have all been done on anything, even a cheap line6 kidney dish - as it all sounds the same, maybe one has a bit more bass on it, and another a bit more treble, but a full on distorted guitar sounds the same as all other distorted guitar sounds.
Should have gone for a cleaner sound with a slight breakup when you dig in, then we would be able to hear the quality and the tone of the Axe fx and the valve type tone with whatever else you compare it with.
it would also help shake of the opinion of a majority of guitarists who believe that the Axe fx is for metal players only. (There, IV said it) ;)

Should have gone for a cleaner sound with a slight breakup when you dig in, then we would be able to hear the quality and the tone of the Axe fx and the valve type tone with whatever else you compare it with.

Why don't you do it? Then you vintage-single-coil-ancient-era-weird-amps-where-power-section-does-distortion types can have fun in your own thread! ;)

Cause, you know, they all sound the same to me. :)

Why don't you do it? Then you vintage-single-coil-ancient-era-weird-amps-where-power-section-does-distortion types can have fun in your own thread! ;)

Cause, you know, they all sound the same to me. :)

Vangrieg, When one gets personal with name calling it means you lost the argument, I now know my opinion was right. :)

Should have gone for a cleaner sound with a slight breakup when you dig in, then we would be able to hear the quality and the tone of the
I've said it before and I'll say it again: We are only picky about the tones/things we personally are into. IF metal was your bread and butter you could happily use any edge of break up model and be like "I don't get it these all sound just fine/great/the same; I could use any of them". When I decide to dabble in blues, etc, dang near any Fender model works for me. But in metal land a Mesa vs an Engl vs a Diezel is all night and day big deal decision time.

So, speak for yourself.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: We are only picky about the tones/things we personally are into. IF metal was your bread and butter you could happily use any edge of break up model and be like "I don't get it these all sound just fine/great/the same; I could use any of them". When I decide to dabble in blues, etc, dang near any Fender model works for me. But in metal land a Mesa vs an Engl vs a Diezel is all night and day big deal decision time.

So, speak for yourself.

Well, I have used fenders and prefer boogies (though a boogie is based on a fender) in metal land Mesa vs Engle vs Diezel is night and day? Next you'll be telling me different guitars sound different at these distortion settings...:D

It's just another metal guitar sound, could have all been done on anything, even a cheap line6 kidney dish - as it all sounds the same, maybe one has a bit more bass on it, and another a bit more treble, but a full on distorted guitar sounds the same as all other distorted guitar sounds.
it would also help shake of the opinion of a majority of guitarists who believe that the Axe fx is for metal players only. (There, IV said it) ;)
Deep sigh

That's just a silly as me saying "all blues players sound the same... they all play the same 5 licks, over the same 3 chords, in the same two keys (major and minor pentatonic) and basically play the same amps with the same sounds."

That would make me sound pretty ignorant, wouldn't it?

For those who can hear the scratchiness, have you checked if with Q4 firmware it's still there? Because one of the changes I hear in this update is a rounder and more pleasant attack, so maybe cliff could have find something wrong inspired by this discussion, who knows..

Played this tonight... I think there is a difference for sure. I was switching between Q3 and A4 in modeling and there is better pick attack.

Back
Top Bottom