Pick Quest Redux

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
A while back I posted some thoughts on my pick quest. I have found two picks that I absolutely love. I know all of us have our preferences regarding what we like or dislike in our picks. I am now using two Wegen picks. I use the Gypsy Jazz and "The Twins", both 3.5mm thick. The have great grip, roll off the strings effortlessly, and produce a great singing tone. The Gypsy Jazz is the same shape as the Twins but the Twins are a bit smaller in size. Not thickness, just size. I like the Twins for songs with mostly solo notes and phrasing, and the Jazz for songs where I play mostly rhythm. Anyone still on a pick quest might give these a try. They are pricy, but I have used other Wegen picks (the Fatone and Trimus 500) and have many many hours on each and they show absolutely no signs of wear. Both the Fatone and Trimus 500 are huge picks so many players may not like them. I am not an endorser, but really like these picks and just thought I'd post. I purchased mine from Big City Strings, but you can also buy direct from Michael Wegen if you prefer. I like the Wegens more than any others I have tried so I'll stick with them until a better mousetrap comes along. That may be a while.

I do like the wegens. However Gravity picks are my favourite (the ones with the master finish). They do wear like a normal pick, but they just sound too good for me to pass up.

I used to use Min'd picks - long agate things. Loved 'em and still use stone picks for a few specialized purposes. I broke down and bought 3 separate boutique picks, all over $30.00 apiece. All were 'mellower' than my standard picks (the big triangles, Rhino, Heavy gauge - though fender heavy will do too). One had a 'contoured speed edge' that indeed increased my sweep picking speed slightly (no big feat - I am slow!). But the 'jazzier' tone of them all didn't work for me. I like the raw percussive tone of plastic plectrums, albeit heavy. heavy gauge...

I used to use Min'd picks - long agate things. Loved 'em and still use stone picks for a few specialized purposes. I broke down and bought 3 separate boutique picks, all over $30.00 apiece. All were 'mellower' than my standard picks (the big triangles, Rhino, Heavy gauge - though fender heavy will do too). One had a 'contoured speed edge' that indeed increased my sweep picking speed slightly (no big feat - I am slow!). But the 'jazzier' tone of them all didn't work for me. I like the raw percussive tone of plastic plectrums, albeit heavy. heavy gauge...

If you like a raw sound you might like un-buffed V-Picks. Very raw sound. They make a screamer that has a sharp point. The unbuffed version will likely break glass at 20 paces. If you are interested, call Vinni and tell him that John C from Supernal Endgame sent you to him. The unbuffed pick would resemble the stone sound. Makes a strong whoosh or chirp when picked. If you like a heavy gritty punch, that will get you there. Talk to Vinni and tell him what you are looking for. Vinni is a great guy and will do his best to get you lined up with something that will work for you. After the Wegens, V-Picks are my favorites. Great grip and feel across the strings. Vinni makes picks from small Jazz III size to picks so big you need help to pick them up. Hope this helps you Bro.

Yeah I can recommend V Picks too, they are great picks. I was once on the quest for the best pick. I went from Tortoise to Jazz III to Jazz III XL then to V Picks then to chris broderick pick clips to the yngwie picks and realized the pick has so little to do with the equation. Nowadays I just go with what feels most comfortable, which happens to be the Tortoise pick. I would like to try one of those 30 dollar v picks that are insanely thick that are supposed to help people with carpal tunnel, but it is hard to justify spending that much on a pick that I may loose very quickly.

I like StringDog Black Snappers. I have 100 of the assorted Medium and Heavies. I'll probably never run out nor need another pick unless I just want to try something new.

I like StringDog Black Snappers. I have 100 of the assorted Medium and Heavies. I'll probably never run out nor need another pick unless I just want to try something new.
I just checked out those Snappers, they sound like a perfect replacement for my Tortoises. Maybe I could send you a Vpick or something and you could send me some of those?

Man some of you guys are into some really thick and expensive picks :shock... I just use the cheep textured Dunlap Nylon .73mm or Brain Picks, snip and sand the sides for a steeper angle.

I've been doing a pick-party myself lately. I've tried BlueChip, Red Bear, Tuskbuffer, Wegen and some Dunlop picks.

Favorites are both Jazz III picks, Eric Johnson and Petrucci versions. The EJ version is the most challenging to get used to but it's also the most rewarding because it forces me to improve technique and rewards me when I do. Petrucci version is also great - it's a about 1/8 inch taller than the EJ so you have more wiggle room for repositioning than the EJ. It's tougher, brighter, and the buffed ultex is smooth across the strings like the BlueChip but with better tone.

Tried two versions of jazz III max grips - EJ red and a carbon fiber but the grip made it harder to reposition pick during playing. Also tried the jazz III 2.0 ultex - a tad larger than typical Jazz III, but it has a brighter scraping tone because it's not beveled, sides are actually flat. Other than tone and feel on strings I liked how it played and felt. Good if you want a brighter tone.

The BlueChip sounded surprisingly dull/bland and the size I ordered was too big. Same with the Wegen and a Red Bear tuff-tone. The original Red Bear had a nice tone, but I don't want to maintain my picks and the cost is a factor. Petrucci version also sounded good. EJ version had a bit warmer tone typical of nylon, and I like its attack and feel on the strings.

The Tuskbuffer is very nice and also had a nice tone. It's $25 and made out of mammoth ivory which has a unique property; you can reposition the pick, yet the pick doesn't slide around or turn once you've repositioned. A tuskbuffer petrucci size could be very cool! I'll see if he can do that. Great price for a hand-made pick out of rare material.

Last edited:
Never tried the gravity picks. Why do you prefer them?

The gravity master finish is similar to the unbuffed V-Picks (and seems to be made of the same material), however they offer this in any shape/size/thickness/colour you want, including jazz III shape. The gravity (classic pointed) is warmer than the unbuffed pointed V-picks, which were a bit too bright for me (not surprised really, it actually hurts a bit to poke the corners on those, haha). They have a very raw, unique tone. They also have an option for a grip hole (IMO the only grip as good as the wegens) on any pick. As I live in Australia, these work out much cheaper than other fancy picks as they have free shipping if you order enough.

They are still brighter than the wegens; I switch to a twin if I need a darker tone.

Back
Top Bottom