Pick Attack AX8

Greg de B

Hi Folks,
On a lot of clean amp models I find that the noise of my pick's attack is greatly increased, especially on the higher strings.
Some on-line AX8 manuals mention a "Pick Attack" parameter, but, I also read that the AX8 doesn't have this function and
since it's on the internet IT HAS TO BE TRUE!
I'm not comfortable with changing my picking technique after 40 years of playing.
I play the Machine, it shouldn't play me.
I don't mind using a compressor or E.Q. if it is transparent to the rest of my tone.
Someone suggested i use the "character" control
I tried sweeping it like I would a graphic E.Q. but no luck...i also tried lengthening the attack on the noise gate
Any and all suggestions would be welcome
Thanks

Greg de B

Quick question Greg. What kind of picks do you use? The pick can make a yuge difference in the amount of pick attack.

For stuff where I don't want a lot of pick attack I use Dunlop 205's when I do I use Dunlop jazz III's.
But as I said, Changing my picking technique for the AX8 seems a little silly. Leon has suggested using the Character control, but I can't seem to find the right frequency. And sweeping the filter while playing a note requires use of my extra arm.
Thanks
Greg

"And sweeping the filter while playing a note requires use of my extra arm."
Well, one clever aid for tone tweaks like you're doing is to put a looper block at the beginning of your chain. Then, play a bunch of riffs or whatever best represents the problem you're trying to address. Hit playback, and tweak away to your hearts content.

For stuff where I don't want a lot of pick attack I use Dunlop 205's when I do I use Dunlop jazz III's.
But as I said, Changing my picking technique for the AX8 seems a little silly. Leon has suggested using the Character control, but I can't seem to find the right frequency. And sweeping the filter while playing a note requires use of my extra arm.
Thanks
Greg
I had a same kind of problem. I found that i'm getting those "trebleish peak notes" at higher strings. That wasn't just a problem for me with AX8, but real guitar amps too. I started to think it must be something from my pick, or picking technique. I've used jazz III XL for many years and now i changed to green Tortex picks (.88). It was a major difference for me, sound lot smoother now:)

Back
Top Bottom