Piano tones?

Noah007

Does anyone know if there is an Axe-fx II preset that can emulate piano or modern keyboard tones?

I know it might be a stretch, but I figured it is possible with this unit and someone probably has tried it.
Thanks

Last edited:
if you want piano, the best bet is to get a guitar synth. the best you can hope for from the axe is old skool moog stuff, squelchy basses, analog strings etc etc. stuff based on simple waveforms. piano is too harmonically complex.

here are some examples of what you can do with it...

there are loads more possibilities...square wave leads, moog taurus pedals, even some horn type stuff, but sounds which are typically sample-based, like pianos etc just aren't possible. i've asked for the ability for one synth voice to modulate another, so we can get into some FM synthesis, but i don't know if it'll ever happen...

I wonder how close you could get with a tone match of a Fender Rhodes and a well programmed compressor blog? Or has that already been done?

Jens

There was a request in the wish list recently for audio to MIDI conversion (to allow use of VSTi), since the axe can already track pitch and velocity, but it will most likley not happen.

There is software currently under development (JamOrigin Midi Guitar), which looks promising and might save you from buying a v-guitar or synth

I wasn't hoping for exact piano sounds, but something similar or at least representative of that kind of sound...maybe like a smoother synth. Thanks to Simeon for posting those sound clips. That's not too far from what I had in mind.

I wasn't hoping for exact piano sounds, but something similar or at least representative of that kind of sound...maybe like a smoother synth. Thanks to Simeon for posting those sound clips. That's not too far from what I had in mind.
Only way getting Piano sounds is with a guitar synth and a hex pickup like The GR55 and GK from Roland. But even then you need to adepth your playing technique in order to sound decent without glitches and ghost notes. Piano sounds with a guitar is one of the most challenging things to master even with a guitar synth. I know because I own both the GR 55 and Axe FX hooked up together. It gives you also perfect alternate tunings for chords without any delay due to the hex pick up.

Thanks to Simeon for posting those sound clips. That's not too far from what I had in mind.

none of those clips are anything like piano whatsoever. you're not making sense. what exactly are you after? post an example

How am I not making sense? That' s a strange kind of reply to my "thank you" post, but whatever.

From my original post "Does anyone know if there is an Axe-fx II preset that can emulate piano or modern keyboard tones" and next post, this is right before what you quoted "I wasn't hoping for exact piano sounds, but something similar or at least representative of that kind of sound...maybe like a smoother synth. "

Originally I was wondering if the axe could do some kind of sound that emulated a piano tone somewhat for an experimental type band I'm playing with, but keyboard type types tones would also work. I thought it was reasonable to ask, but apparently it was a strange question. I'd delete this thread but I couldn't find a way to do it. Thanks

Last edited:
no need to delete. just be clear. piano tones are distinct from "modern keyboard tones" which you haven't defined. and the moog tones i posted aren't pianistic or modern, but you say are similar to what you want. it's just a bit confusing, is all.

the thing is this. the axe generates simple waveforms. they can be mixed and further treated with filters and other effects. piano sounds really need to be generated using samples, if they're to sound anything like a real piano (ever played an 80's Casio "piano" sound?) and modern synth sounds use a mixture of techniques including waveform generation, fm synthesis, granulation and samples. it's a bit of a stretch to ask something that only generates simple waveforms to compete with that.

having said that, the axe IS capable of some pretty cool synth stuff and it might be capable of producing what you want

if you're asking for presets, then you need to provide a reference and hope that someone will be able to emulate it and be kind enough to post a preset

otherwise the thing to do is dive in. maybe ask for some tips. but have a go and see what you can come up with.

you have to be quite specific, otherwise it's very difficult to help :)

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Could the tone modeling aspect of the FX make a sampled piano sound more like a real acoustic? I saw a video of someone using it to make their piezo guitar pickup sound like their real guitar and it was a huge improvement. I'm talking about using the Fractal as an effects device for an electronic piano.

Maybe I'm not writing about this topic, but .
There are no keyboards in our group. Sometimes you need a soft filling of harmony - chords and arpeggios, like on a piano. I use this tone, but it’s certainly not a piano and a piano, it’s like the soft sound of a piano like Rodez and string stuff. Try scenes 2, 3, 4. To increase the volume - the expression pedal # 1 in blocks Multi do, delay, rotor speed. All this is regulated by one pedal at the same time.

Attachments

• Soft piano + strings.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 63
Why not just use midi? EZ keys is on sale right now and Logic has a decent midi piano built in.

Back
Top Bottom