Piano or Rhodes like presets?

Mark Scrivener

Inspired
Hello everyone - new AX8 owner here looking for something that sounds a little piano like (not organ). A Rhodes would be nice too. Did a quick search and didn't see anything, so don't know if this is even possible with the AX8.

Thanks,
Mark

Tall order but just to put in perspective even synth guys talk about how a digital Rhodes is just a cheap imitation/cheep e-piano sound.

Oh believe me I know. I own a real Rhodes and have listened to lots of samples/syths/vi's, and at least for me, nothing compares. But that isn't the point here. I'm just looking for something that would give the right vibe in a live setting (where I don't have a keyboard and certainly am not dragging a real Rhodes around). So "piano like" or "rhodes like" might be better descriptors.

A clean guitar sounds a little like a Rhodes if you play the "right" voicings. Some Rhodes-y eq and effects would be more honest than a weird synth-y thing in my opinion.

Well, just using my ears, it's not the vib or modulation part of the sound that defines the Rhodes.
It's more of the attack, or lack there of. I would start there.
Let us know how your progress goes.
:)

Talk about coincidence, I got on a "Rhodes like" trip about a week ago. Did a search today and seen this.

At any rate, after a lot of tinkering with the AFX 2 (I realise this is in the Axe 8 forum) I completely agree with M@.

I tried mixing in a pitch block to add a subtle octave to the top end and then a filter to round out the freq's below. In the end a twin with a filter block and the right voicings sound the best. Even a twin and the tone knob on my guitar come closer than my first attempts. Still not as close as I want it though so I'll continue experimenting.

If you don't know how a Rhodes makes it's sound, check out the Wiki. Think tunning forks with a pickup to amplify. So I'm thinking clean amp, filter blocks for tone shaping, maybe compression to soften and maybe some subtle modulation for extra sauce.

Back
Top Bottom