Pi Fuzz & JTM45 dirt - preset included (Muffy Christmas)

shaunb

Experienced

After seeing a Youtube video of Billy Corgan talking about and playing with the reissue Big Muff Op-Amp pedal I thought I'd have a go at getting a Big Muff tone that works for me in the AxeFXII XL+.

While I'm not the biggest Smashing Pumpkins fan I do love the tone of Siamese Dream. This is not an attempt to recreate that tone but to find a sound that works for me.

I made preset using the Pi Fuzz drive block set to Op-Amp with the mids set 4 different ways using a different tone for each pass. Rhythms are quad track to layer in heaps of filthy fuzz plus 2 extra tracks with an octave up harmonizer in parts for a lifter and additional octave dist at the end to add some chaos.
I've Included the preset for anyone who'd like it, Merry Christmas.

I'm using a JTM45 through a 50/50 blend of ML Zilla All Mix and ML Brit PR75 SM57-M160 01 (from CP20).

The guitar used is a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet with stock Blacktop Filtertrons.

Once again, sorry for the crappy soundcloud quality. Might have to up my game and do the youtube thing.

Attachments

• JTM 45 OP Amp Muff Q9.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

After seeing a Youtube video of Billy Corgan talking about and playing with the reissue Big Muff Op-Amp pedal I thought I'd have a go at getting a Big Muff tone that works for me in the AxeFXII XL+.

While I'm not the biggest Smashing Pumpkins fan I do love the tone of Siamese Dream. This is not an attempt to recreate that tone but to find a sound that works for me.

I made preset using the Pi Fuzz drive block set to Op-Amp with the mids set 4 different ways using a different tone for each pass. Rhythms are quad track to layer in heaps of filthy fuzz plus 2 extra tracks with an octave up harmonizer in parts for a lifter and additional octave dist at the end to add some chaos.
I've Included the preset for anyone who'd like it, Merry Christmas.

I'm using a JTM45 through a 50/50 blend of ML Zilla All Mix and ML Brit PR75 SM57-M160 01 (from CP20).

The guitar used is a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet with stock Blacktop Filtertrons.

Once again, sorry for the crappy soundcloud quality. Might have to up my game and do the youtube thing.

I've actually been looking for something similar in terms of this tone for something else. Something that hints SP, but not quite exactly their sound. I might have to play with this myself and see what comes out of me!

Cheers guys.
I love that we can play around all these different drive pedals I wouldn't necessarily buy if I was still running tube amps. But because they are in the box we get to try them out.

I've really been into fuzz tones the last few years and enjoying experimenting.

I've actually been looking for something similar in terms of this tone for something else. Something that hints SP, but not quite exactly their sound. I might have to play with this myself and see what comes out of me!
Yeah, I wanted something that could do heavier fuzz rock but could pull back and do a kind of QOTSA thing.

It almost ended up sounding like how I would imagine Royal Blood if they had a guitarist.

Love the midrange in this, gotta have a go with it when I have time to myself again
I went a bit crazy in the mids thinking it might not sound great but I like the result. Each scene on its own is just ok, but when you stack them all together the overall tone seems to work.

The over-boosted mids gave the tone a certain character on the verge of sounding obnoxious but still good somehow.

Cheers guys.
I love that we can play around all these different drive pedals I wouldn't necessarily buy if I was still running tube amps. But because they are in the box we get to try them out.

I've really been into fuzz tones the last few years and enjoying experimenting.

Yeah, I wanted something that could do heavier fuzz rock but could pull back and do a kind of QOTSA thing.

It almost ended up sounding like how I would imagine Royal Blood if they had a guitarist.

I went a bit crazy in the mids thinking it might not sound great but I like the result. Each scene on its own is just ok, but when you stack them all together the overall tone seems to work.

The over-boosted mids gave the tone a certain character on the verge of sounding obnoxious but still good somehow.
I like that it gives it presence in the mix without hyping up that notorious fuzz treble, sounds really good in the mix

I like that it gives it presence in the mix without hyping up that notorious fuzz treble, sounds really good in the mix
Yeah, the pronounced mids seem to have softened the edges but with lots of body making it feel like a rounder tone if that makes sense.
Then adding the octave up harmony brings back a bit of the high end chaos but in controlled way. That comes in handy to lift the chorus and the end section.

I love the recording you posted, you managed to get a bright tone without it being harsh. I do love the Bender Fuzz too.

Very cool tones and not easy one to get out of the Axe, well done

As an aside, I just got the EHX op-amp muff today. Just $65 after a $15 E-bay coupon.... so much for the boo-teek and vintage market $300 models huh ? lol. Sounds every bit as good, or bad, as the original and grinds like nothing else, basically just like the demo video Billy C did. Funny how people chased that tone for ages and ages and now its like "here you go, just track it about 10 times over"

dude this patch feels soooo nice under the fingers, especially with both fuzzes on. that harmonizer block with the octave up really adds a nice sizzle and openness especially on the neck too (definitely have to remember that one from now on!)

That's on blacktop filtertrons? Damn! Sounds good. Definitely a muff, but it doesn't sink away in a compressed mess like Muffs sometimes do... Nice work.

Cheers guys.
Very cool tones and not easy one to get out of the Axe, well done

As an aside, I just got the EHX op-amp muff today. Just $65 after a $15 E-bay coupon.... so much for the boo-teek and vintage market $300 models huh ? lol. Sounds every bit as good, or bad, as the original and grinds like nothing else, basically just like the demo video Billy C did. Funny how people chased that tone for ages and ages and now its like "here you go, just track it about 10 times over"
Nice one. Sounds like it's a pretty great pedal especially for a reissue, heard nothing but great feedback about them and great value for the money by the sounds of it.

dude this patch feels soooo nice under the fingers, especially with both fuzzes on. that harmonizer block with the octave up really adds a nice sizzle and openness especially on the neck too (definitely have to remember that one from now on!)
I just did another preset and recording using a Cameron amp and two drive blocks actually. I ended up driving a Pi Fuzz (Op-Amp) together with a Micro Boost in a couple of different configurations.
That preset is in the forum post too.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ff-micro-boost-stuffs-preset-included.133890/

That's on blacktop filtertrons? Damn! Sounds good. Definitely a muff, but it doesn't sink away in a compressed mess like Muffs sometimes do... Nice work.
I bought the Pro Jet as a mini tribute when Chris Cornell passed away and was pleasantly surprised with the pickups.
The Blacktop Filtertrons do a brilliant job for the price point.
Every now and then I feel like it would be cool to throw a set of upmarket Filtertrons in it like a set of TV Jones or something, we'll see.

I've got a 5120 that I put a humbucker sized TV Jones Classic in, and it's a great sounding pickup. The cheaper Gretsch offerings are surprisingly well built instruments- you're using yours well!

I wasn't always a fan of fuzzes, but the big muff always caught my ear. Nice balance and attitude in the tone and the playing, solid riffs. Kudos for the playing and the preset. Keep on rocking

I've got a 5120 that I put a humbucker sized TV Jones Classic in, and it's a great sounding pickup. The cheaper Gretsch offerings are surprisingly well built instruments- you're using yours well!
Cheers mate.
I'e a had a soft spot for Gretsch guitars. Who knows, maybe I'll get a real deal Duo Jet one day.

I wasn't always a fan of fuzzes, but the big muff always caught my ear. Nice balance and attitude in the tone and the playing, solid riffs. Kudos for the playing and the preset. Keep on rocking
Same.
I'm a driven amp tone kinda guy but lately I've been getting into the Fuzz thing a lot more.
Cheers for the kind words.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom