Phosphine found on Venus: life?

Venus is our underrated neighbor, because Mars gets all the attention. But colonizing Mars is like colonizing Siberia. It will never be a hospitable place. Neither is Venus, but just because Venus is a runaway greenhouse effect now doesn't mean it was never hospitable in the past. And probably far more likely to have had life then the more distant and colder Mars. And if there was any life on Mars that survived its stripping of its atmosphere by the solar winds, why could life on Venus not have adapted to survive on Venus?

Venus is our underrated neighbor, because Mars gets all the attention. But colonizing Mars is like colonizing Siberia. It will never be a hospitable place. Neither is Venus, but just because Venus is a runaway greenhouse effect now doesn't mean it was never hospitable in the past. And probably far more likely to have had life then the more distant and colder Mars. And if there was any life on Mars that survived its stripping of its atmosphere by the solar winds, why could life on Venus not have adapted to survive on Venus?
I haven't got a clue. Howbeit, whatever be the lifeforms that will be found, they're not close to inventing a guitar and an Axe Fx, so for the time being I'd like to continue my stay here.
Signed : E T

Just kiddin'

Why searching for a new form of life while a f# virus from our own planet alone is messing with our world ?

Maybe could we give a better attention to the UFO phenomenoms...

Why searching for a new form of life while a f# virus from our own planet alone is messing with our world ?

I hate that argument. It's an excuse to do nothing. If we can't do anything new until we solve the old problem mankind would never have been able to leave the caves. And we're also excellent procrastinators. Any excuse not to fix an old problem. On the plus side many many great things have come from problem avoidance. How many great songs and works of art, or cool tech has come from 'lets do something fun instead'?

Also, what is wrong with expanding our knowledge? The mystery of the origins of life on Earth have preoccupied humanity since before the dawn of time. It has led to the creation of art, religion and science, things that have immeasurably enriched and given meaning to our lives. If life existed and can still exist on Venus and Mars, life can be everywhere in the universe. While it would make our own planet a little less unique, we would gain the knowledge that we are not alone out there.

And if you still think why waste valuable money on space research while we have a virus at home, you know what truly wastes money on a colossal scale and gives absolutely nothing to make our lives better? War. Trillions have been spent on waging wars in the Middle East that have gained us nothing, except to make things worse and our enemies stronger. That money could have been spent fixing healthcare, infrastructure, education, a multitude of things that could made our lives better. Space exploration is such a tiny part of the budget and the only reason we actually got a space program in the first place was because of a Cold War pissing contest.

UFO's exist. Because they are simply unidentified flying objects. Some things we can't explain. Yet. But that does not automatically validate the existence of grey aliens in flying saucers kidnapping rednecks to anal probe them. That's like stepping from A to Z and skipping every step in between. In order for the grey aliens to get here they would first have to negate Einstein's law of relativity that states that it is impossible to go faster then the speed of light. And without that interstellar travel takes a LONG time. Yeah, but what of advanced tech that could allow for this to happen? Well, have fun trying to prove Einstein wrong first, then we'll talk. Smarter minds then UFO believers who actually understand Einstein's theories have tried and failed. Until then I will apply my version of Occam's Razor, the simplest most plausible explanation will suffice. It's either some natural phenomenon we have not been able to explain yet, people who have had way too much to drink or other means of 'illumination', they're hallucinating, or simply lying. Or....... grey aliens in flying saucers that have managed to prove Einstein wrong. I can think of four that already sound more simple and plausible then the latter

Although of course there is one way grey aliens in flying saucers could be bugging us. If they have parked the Mother of all Alien multi-generation mothership that can travel the interstellar distances for centuries if need be somewhere in our solar system. In which case solving the corona bug will be the least of our problems. Also, sorry if my post comes across as rude, it's just that this argument that we can't do X before we solve our current problems really grinds my gears. Space exploration is the most wonderful thing in the universe, literally. Because it has shed light on the wonders of the universe, and also freed us of the terrors that made our lives hell. Today a comet is a thing of beauty, a wonder from the outer solar system that looks cool and gives us knowledge from the early days of the solar system. Not that long ago a comet was a harbinger of death as people feared they were bringers of war, death and pestilence, a sign that the Gods were displeased with us and would bestow their punishments upon us.

I'm usually the dumbest person in the room. Gaining new knowledge is one of the most valuable things in life.

The second research on this topic, conducted at the University of Washington, revealed sulfur dioxide, not phosphine. I don't believe that any life forms could survive in Venus's atmosphere; however, I'm interested in further research. Who knows, perhaps, I'm wrong, and Venus has some secrets to surprise us :) .

Because not everyone in science is a virologist, epidemiologist, doctor, nurse, etc. studying other planets is their job?

This is always the knee-jerk reaction to any crisis. Stop everything so that we can all go crazy over things we can’t control and bitch about the people whose job it is to deal with any such crisis not fixing things fast enough so that we can get back to the things that we stopped doing for no good reason.

Or maybe, we are the virus searching for a new host?
tm1-1.jpg

Thing is, without a natural predator to keep their numbers in check ALL animals multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. That's why zebras and wildebeasts have lions eating them, or they would eat the savannah into a desert. Us humans have no predator in check. Other then maybe the hardness of life and diseases that killed most of us off before we even became adults. There's a reasons why families used to have 12+ kids, most would not survive. And the moment life became easier and modern medicine did away with most of the viruses and bacteria that preyed upon us, humanity started to explode.
This rings truest to me. Earth would be far better off without human infestation....
So, are you going to volunteer to the suicide booths to save the planet?

I pose a different alternative, if we want to save Earth, humanity should get off this world and into space. The Kuyper Belt and Oort Cloud alone have enough dwarf planets, asteroids and comets to provide the resources to build enough O'Neill cylinders to house trillions of humans. Get us off this planet and we can turn in into a planetary park.

And that's excluding the fact that we have to get off eventually, because the sun is slowly getting hotter with age. In 600 mln years the Earth will look like Venus no matter what we do. Which means if we want to preserver the Earth's greatest gift, life in all its forms and shapes, not only do we ourselves need to get off this world, but we have to take our magnificent biosphere with us.

So, are you going to volunteer to the suicide booths to save the planet?

This week, I would consider it. Life is sucking pretty hard right now. Point is, I thing we, en masse, have already chosen to convert the whole planet into a slow-moving suicide booth. The time to fix things was 50 years ago, but we just munched popcorn and watched.

I pose a different alternative, if we want to save Earth, humanity should get off this world and into space. The Kuyper Belt and Oort Cloud alone have enough dwarf planets, asteroids and comets to provide the resources to build enough O'Neill cylinders to house trillions of humans. Get us off this planet and we can turn in into a planetary park.

And that's excluding the fact that we have to get off eventually, because the sun is slowly getting hotter with age. In 600 mln years the Earth will look like Venus no matter what we do. Which means if we want to preserver the Earth's greatest gift, life in all its forms and shapes, not only do we ourselves need to get off this world, but we have to take our magnificent biosphere with us.

The universe could not possibly have sinned badly enough to deserve punishment via human infestation....

https://www.edge.org/video/robert-shapiro—-life-what-a-concept

Robert Shapiro...Chemist

"I'm always running out of metaphors to try and explain what the difficulty is. But suppose you took Scrabble sets, or any word game sets, blocks with letters, containing every language on Earth, and you heap them together and you then took a scoop and you scooped into that heap, and you flung it out on the lawn there, and the letters fell into a line which contained the words “To be or not to be, that is the question,” that is roughly the odds of an RNA molecule,
....given no feedback — and there would be no feedback, because it wouldn't be functional until it attained a certain length and could copy itself — if such an RNA molecule appearing on the Earth."

Because that's their job. The world doesn't stop spinning ...

I’m no flat earther ....but how does anyone know for a fact the earth is actually spinning when there is no actual conclusive empirical evidence?

If there is none ....it’s then merely a philosophical idea & preference.

Last edited:
This rings truest to me. Earth would be far better off without human infestation....
Not to worry, the Earth will eventually turn us into fossils, grind us to dirt, and start over again. It will be fine. We, on the other hand, are fooked. Maybe one day a robotic probe will come here, searching for signs of past life.

Back
Top Bottom