Old style phone ring sound?

ScottyB

Experienced
How might one go about trying to mimic the phone sound in the intro of 'In the Meantime' by Spacehog?

Thank you @mr_fender !

It needs some more work, but I set it up with a looper so I can start with the clean guitar part in scene 1, then dub in the 'phone' with scene 2 and cover the heavy part using scene 3. Still a little bit of tap dancing between the looper and the scenes, but it's getting there.

Attachments

• In the Meantime.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 27
From doing a bit of digging online, it seems it's a detuned sample from The Penguin Cafe Orchestra song Telephone and Rubber Band.

The original sounds like a sine tone pattern overlaid with a UK ringing tone (two short pulses of mixed 400 Hz and 450 Hz sine waves and a 2 second pause). The Spacehog sample is detuned down to the key of E so the tones are roughly E4 (329.63 Hz) and F#4 (369.99 Hz).

This is an old-style North American telephone busy signal. It consists of two tones (350 Hz and 440 Hz) mixed together, pulsed at a 1 Hz rate with a 50% duty cycle. You can build this with a Synth block and a Trem/Pan block.

Thanks, @Rex.
We decided to revisit this one after several years and never really liked the ring modulator version I had for the AX8 so I decided to start working on your approach for my FM9. I don't have it down yet and was wondering if you wouldn't mind taking a look at the attached preset and let me know what I'm missing? (or anyone else...)

Scene 2 is for the phone ring tone. You'll notice the pitch block is on, but it's only a subtle virtual capo to get closer to the pitch of the recording, ~20 cents sharp.

It appears the YT link isn't working from the OP, so here it is again. Just looking to mimic the ring tone at the beginning.
In the Meantime - Spacehog

Attachments

• In the Meantime.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom