Phone jack to mixer instead of output 1?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I was wondering, will there be any sonic or noise floor related difference if I use the headphone jack on the front to connect the Axe to my mixer in my home studio, versus using output 1 on the back?

You might run into impedance mismatches and maybe signal level issues but having said that, headphone outputs normally approach line level.

The analog output (i.e. rear XLR and jack) on the Axe FX II is 600ohms impedance according to the manual, but I don't know what the impedance is for the headphone out.

Just as a sidenote, some headphones can be as little as 8ohms.

Possibly somebody who has tried this can give you a more informative answer and real-world experience.

I would love to hear some tech talk on this exact question. I use the headphone out to the mixing board all the time and it sounds great but I've always wondered if I've opened myself up to a possible future issue because of it.

I use the headphone out because then i don't have to dig into the back of my rack and a 30' headphone extender cable and splitter on the end packs up tiny. So laziness. Laziness is why.

IIRC most issues relating to signal loss (or load loss) occur when a high impedance output is connected to a low impedance input but it's been such a long time since I've done any of this I might be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom