Phone dial tone - is this possible?

Tplesko

Inspired
Hi all, do you remember the phone dial tone (like a rotary phone dial tone when someone is calling someone - think the end of Floyd's Dirty Woman - beep...beep). Is it possible to come close to that tone using an AX8? Any ideas?

I have tried the Roland GR55 route and it's too much footwork for me to enjoy a gig, so I am going AX8 and nothing more. Getting close using Synth or pitch or whatever would be fine.

Any suggestions or patches appreciated!

Thanks,

I've tried to use synth with a bandpass behind it and I am not finding luck....it sounds like the standard Fractal synth tones to me....not sure what I am doing wrong. I've tried it with and without amp/cab inline and parallel. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks all,

I've tried to use synth with a bandpass behind it and I am not finding luck....it sounds like the standard Fractal synth tones to me....not sure what I am doing wrong. I've tried it with and without amp/cab inline and parallel. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks all,

Something like the attached patch get you near where you want to be?

Short story made long, most classic phone sounds were either one or two VCO sine waves at fixed pitches, and then sometimes a square wave VCA pulsing them on or off at certain rates. Add to that a little filtering for the lofi nature of the old equipment. Should be able to get in the ballpark if not dead on with the Axe's Synth, PanTrem, and Filter blocks as I did in my little quicky demo patch there.

Pretty much all of the actual frequencies of the tones in Hertz can be gotten quickly with some google'ing and/or wikipedia'ing... if i didn't guess right at the frequencies here, might wanna look there to see what else kind of frequencies were used. Happy phone sound hunting.

Attachments

• dialtone.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 27
Here is what I came up with. Sounds pretty close to the one in Floyd's 'Young Lust'
Having trouble getting sound clips to work? Tried two different hosts?
http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=16938

Use switch #4 (CS1) to start and stop the sound.

Copy and paste the blocks into your presets. Copy the settings of the 'Sequencer' controller.

Attachments

• Moke's Brit Phone (AX8).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Truly amazing guys - Moke's yours is spot on, thank you! One last question and I probably should have said this earlier (sorry) - is there any way to tie it into the tone/note you are playing on the guitar?

Thanks again guys....it's amazing what smart people can do with these things! It's nearly limitless....

-Todd

Truly amazing guys - Moke's yours is spot on, thank you! One last question and I probably should have said this earlier (sorry) - is there any way to tie it into the tone/note you are playing on the guitar?

Thanks again guys....it's amazing what smart people can do with these things! It's nearly limitless....

-Todd
Can you be more specific?
  1. Do you want it to start when you play a certain note?
  2. Do you want to play the sound directly (with the pitch fixed or tracking your guitar's notes?)
  3. Or???????

Can you be more specific?
  1. Do you want it to start when you play a certain note?
  2. Do you want to play the sound directly (with the pitch fixed or tracking your guitar's notes?)
  3. Or???????
Sorry, I should be more specific. #2 is what I am thinking. We are covering the song "In the Meantime", a 90s one hit wonder by Spacehog. Here is the link and the dial tone begins immediately - I believe the notes are F# - E - F#. We are trying to figure out if we should not do this at all, do it with the Fractal, or do it with a sampler. We're nitpicking, I know.

Thanks again - much appreciated. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Sorry, I should be more specific. #2 is what I am thinking. We are covering the song "In the Meantime", a 90s one hit wonder by Spacehog. Here is the link and the dial tone begins immediately - I believe the notes are F# - E - F#. We are trying to figure out if we should not do this at all, do it with the Fractal, or do it with a sampler. We're nitpicking, I know.

Thanks again - much appreciated. Sorry I wasn't clear.

The synth block won't allow you to play more than one note at a time on your guitar. so you can't play that part as is. And I haven't been able to figure out a reliable way to automate this while still playing the guitar part that accompanies it. Other that using this preset in conjunction with a 'Looper' block to play the 'Synth' phrase once, alone. Then switch to another preset (with the 'Looper' block added) for the guitar sounds and start the loop.

Try this one. Play and hold an open E (1st string) for 2 beats, rest, then an 1/8th note on the third beat. repeat....

Attachments

• Moke's Space Hog (AX8).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Attempt #2.....:D

With this one, load the preset and be very, very quite, press the 'Looper Control' switch (#8), press the 'REC' button (#1), strike any higher note (E, 1st string?) and just let it ring.............. and then wait for it............

Or, if you don't want to worry about staying in time with the Looper. Just load the preset, strike any higher note (E, 1st string?) and just let it ring at least half way through the phrase (It needs a pause to reset the controllers), then just keep repeating to restart the phrase when you want.

Attachments

• Moke's Space Hog 2 (AX8).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 14
Is someone going to play the second guitar and other key parts in the song? If not matching the studio version 100%, the intro would probably work fine if you just played this:

Back
Top Bottom