Phish/ Trey Anastasio tone match

jiggajewjay

Inspired
Phish/Trey Anastasio Tone
Hello

I've been looking everywhere for a trey patch and haven't had any luck. There was a TS/9 mod block that someone posted for the Ultra. I'm specifically looking for that lead tone that trey gets when he's soloing. Has anyone had any success perhaps using the ToneMatch feature? I'd be interested in some responses to see if other users have been able to come up with a solid match. I am using a Gibson Les Paul right into the Axe II which is plugged into my RME Fireface UFX. That in advance!!!

FYI I made a patch using the ToneMatch block and it's really decent. Hit me up if you want the patch

I haven't tried a Trey tone yet. Got some suggestions for some sections with just his guitar? Getting isolated guitar is really the trickiest part. I can't think of many Trey lead tone sections where it's just him.

Post the block man. I'd love to hear it.

Here's what I was using on my Standard for Trey tones. I haven't ported it to the II yet...tonight maybe...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/870088/AxeFx/patches/standard/IAreSeeTreyA.syx

Yea, you'd probably have to go thru some of the LivePhish or a download to find something that's just his guitar. Maybe the intro to Chalkdust, but that's not the lead tone... although if you can get his rhythm sound you can just add (another) Tubescreamer and probably get close. I'll check a few of my shows and see if anything pops out. Also remember he plays a semi-hollowbody.

The way that i was able to use tone match with treys tone was from the song STASH. I looped the first few notes. It's the only song I found where there is 2 seconds of guitar alone. The sound I got was pretty damn close but a bit muddy on the lower notes bc the reference audio was only higher up on the neck. I'm gonna post it tonight and and hopefully you can take a stab at improving the patch. Thanks for the replies. I love this forum!!

Yea, you'd probably have to go thru some of the LivePhish or a download to find something that's just his guitar. Maybe the intro to Chalkdust, but that's not the lead tone... although if you can get his rhythm sound you can just add (another) Tubescreamer and probably get close.
I own a lot of live Phish and I can't think of *any* cases where I'd have enough of his lead tone to do a match against. So yea, if you can hit upon something let me know please! There are a bunch of cases where you could grab a decent version of his rhythm tone. A live version Limb By Limb with an extended intro would do well. We need clips with chords ideally. Across the frequency range.

Also remember he plays a semi-hollowbody.
To some extent you'll get compensation for this in the tone match. You'll have his guitar, feeding his rig. And then your guitar feeding your Axe-Fx II. And the match is between those two things. So get a guitar in the ball park and it shouldn't be too bad.

Honestly though, I find Trey's tone moves around so much deciding on just what to capture as "his tone" would be really hard for me.

I'll copy my old Trey A patch over to the II tonight and post it. I liked that patch a lot with my PRS Standard and thought it was close enough for all things Phish I've ever wanted to do.

Back
Top Bottom