Phil Spector dies in prison of covid complications

Yeah. I teach music in prisons and have done since the early 90s. I had a student the last couple of years who always came to class with an acoustic signed by Phil Spector with a sharpie. He was there when he was first admitted. Said the first few weeks he was a complete zombie, zonked out on whatever drugs they gave him. Walking into walls and stuff. When he came to this guy asked him to sign his guitar. He was surprised and complimented that someone knew who he was!

I was just listening to All Things Must Pass yesterday, which is certainly a good message for these times. Both Spector and the drummer in those sessions, Jim Gordon, turned out to be criminally insane.

A dose of honesty:

1 - Not gonna celebrate the life or death of a convicted murderer, no matter what he accomplished professionally.
2 - Never will I ever click on a link to TMZ.

I'm with you.

Yes, he was incredibly influential musically, but after all the stories of his mental illness and penchant for waving a pistol around, don't feel the need to laud him. Oh yeah, and murder.

Just to say it, all this high and mighty judgement could be applied to any number of artists whose WORK still made a mark, which IMO some of his did. I'm fine with anyone feeling differently. That won't undo my memories of listening to some of his earliest stuff on my parents' table top radio after they went to bed, and a bunch of stuff he had his hands on after that.

Just to say it, all this high and mighty judgement could be applied to any number of artists whose WORK still made a mark, which IMO some of his did. I'm fine with anyone feeling differently. That won't undo my memories of listening to some of his earliest stuff on my parents' table top radio after they went to bed, and a bunch of stuff he had his hands on after that.
High and mighty judgment? Right. He was a murderer. That's the lowest bar there is for judgement. He put a bullet into a woman's head and robbed her of her life. FUCK Phil Spector. I celebrated his conviction and I celebrate his death. And his mixes sound like shit. Wall of mud. Many producers and engineers of his day could mix circles around that maggot. His "legend" is all hype with no substance.

Back
Top Bottom