Who do you like the most, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• Total voters
What a fun thread... but how do you choose?

I was not listening to Genesis, Yes and sofort during my teens in the 70s. It was blues, swedish prog (not prog rock), Led Zeppelin and then into jazz. The only thing I remember was a swedish music paper mentioning that Peter Gabriel had the shortest lugg/fringe/bangs in pop/rock.

Late 70s/early 80s? Collins had this band Brand X that a friend liked but they felt to stiff for me. Later on Collins did break commercially and that didn't sound to sweet. Of course he is a very very compentent drummer and singer but for me he just don't have any magic going, it's just so mainstream and boring.

On the other hand Peter Gabriel has some moments when he reaches the sublime. Someone presented the album SO, and even if I didn't think it's full of strong piecies there is a few that I really like(d). The one I tend to go back to thrue the years is Mercy Street. Full of poetry and a deep feeling. Someone on youtube did merge it with poetry of Anne Sexton, and it lifts to new heights (albeit the sound quality is poor).

Peter Gabriel for all the reasons already named. Didn't like all that much "progressive" stuff, but loved Camel, particularly "Snow Goose" which I still think holds up well. Liked Brand X well enough, too. Like Fred Frith with Naked City and don't know enough of his other work.

+1 on Gabriel's influence with Real World studios and label. Amazing studio and a great window into some fantastic music from less heard parts of the world (at least less heard in the US).

Peter Gabriel, for all the reasons people have put above.

Climbing up on Solsbury Hill, I could see the city lights...

Cheers.

Genesis with Gabriel, hands down, with one caveat. "Supper's Ready" live w/ Collins on Seconds Out is actually the best version I've ever heard. Actually, that whole album is killer. Saw them in Forest Hills tennis stadium in 1981, which was one of their last moments of brilliance. Once Steve Hackett left it was all over for them. Collins became a pop singer, and it's just not for me. Excellent drummer, though. I highly recommend any Brand X album, which was his on the side fusion project.

If posed with the question "who do you like the most?", who would you choose and why?
Well Phil is a better drummer, we know that much is true. :) As a singer and lyricist, visual performer Peter is on another planet. Even though the band was obviously killer, he was the reason people paid attention. I mean, what other singer of his era was crazy enough to wear his wife's red dress with a fox head mask? I love every thing that Peter has ever done. Genesis work, Solo stuff, Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack, Realword releases etc., etc. Phil is a good singer in his own right. I just associate him too much with the commercial pop version of the band from the 80's and beyond which I am not fond of. Poor Phil is doomed to a lifetime of these comparisons. :?

If you haven't seen the band "The Musical Box" out of Canada, I HIGHLY recommend them. They are an unbelievable cover band. They actually have all of the old stage props and film footage that Genesis used on their tours. They have the original stage production dude (not sure what his title would be) as a consultant. They sound insanely good. I had goosebumps the whole time and was nearly brought to tears with the sound.

Are you kidding me??? It's not even close. Gabriel is brilliant most of the time. Collins is brilliant almost never, but he's got a bunch of past tense pop music that's somewhat decent, except when you throw in things like Sususudio. I'm not a fan of Collins in the least. However I like Gabriel a lot.

Genesis lost all there depth when Gabriel left.when i think of the Collins era Genesis,all that comes to mind is an ugly puppet show starring Reagan,and sususususudio.in the air tonight was ok,but just because of the image of Rebecca Demorney doing the train thing.:)

Genesis lost all there depth when Gabriel left.when i think of the Collins era Genesis,all that comes to mind is an ugly puppet show starring Reagan,and sususususudio.in the air tonight was ok,but just because of the image of Rebecca Demorney doing the train thing.:)

What about "Wind and Wuthering", "Trick of the Tail", "...and then there were three" and "Duke"? I loved those albums. They did a great job of "Supper's Ready" on Seconds Out. And at least one side of "Three Sides Live" is great. Abacab had some good tracks. After that, well...yeah.

Are you kidding me??? It's not even close. Gabriel is brilliant most of the time. Collins is brilliant almost never, but he's got a bunch of past tense pop music that's somewhat decent, except when you throw in things like Sususudio. I'm not a fan of Collins in the least. However I like Gabriel a lot.

He's a good player. Ever here his work with Brand X?

Back
Top Bottom