Who do you like the most, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• Total voters
Have always been a big Gabriel fan. Collins, not so much...

The remastered So dropped today BTW. Listening to it now. :)

Gabriel is sublime on so many levels, as a lyricist, composer, producer, performer. His music is appealing to the masses who only listen to the superficial, but his music always stands up to deeper investigation. Phill Collins is a good drummer, good singer and obviously very commercially succesful, but Gabriel is on another plane entirely.

I consider Peter Gabriel one of the most important musicians of the last 30 years.

Gabriel is sublime on so many levels, as a lyricist, composer, producer, performer. His music is appealing to the masses who only listen to the superficial, but his music always stands up to deeper investigation. Phill Collins is a good drummer, good singer and obviously very commercially succesful, but Gabriel is on another plane entirely.

I consider Peter Gabriel one of the most important musicians of the last 30 years.

Yes. Couldn't have said it better.

I remember hearing Lamb Lies Down On Broadway when it was released in - what was it, '77? I was an 11 year old kid living in Germany (my father was in the Air Force) and they played the entire album on Armed Forces Network radio. Genesis and Gabriel have been influencial ever since. I very much regret never having the opportunity to see Genesis with Gabriel. I've seen both Genesis and Gabriel apart - Genesis on the Duke and Abacab tours and Gabriel twice on the Security tour. Among the best concerts I've ever seen - matched only by Pat Metheny (I know, completely different genre, but it's my opinion so I get to choose).

MesaGuitarGuy, I've watched that concert with Gabriel and Paula Cole many times. So many great moments. Now that would have been a show to see.

This really brings me back to my "Progressive Rock" days. :) Who here know of Happy the Man? Any Fred Frith/Henry Cow fans? How about Brand X (Phil Collins foray into fusion)? Genesis also led me to Brian Eno, Harold Budd, Roger Eno, Anthony Phillips, Camel, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, and others.

Then, of course, there was Yes. Those were good days. I miss the concept albums and the epic quality of that music. Seems elusive now.

I love this version of Don't Give Up:

Be Secret World w/Paula Cole...be Secret World w/Paula Cole....be Secret World w/Paula Cole....BOOM! Good pick. :)

That whole concert was awesome. David Rhodes is so understated but in the pocket during that show. And Paula Cole...mmm....

I saw Peter in Santa Barbara a couple of weeks ago... still puts on an amazing show. I was also impressed that he didn't only play his well-known songs. He opened with something I've never heard, played a number of deep cuts from PG 3, Security (PG 4), etc. And of course, the entire So album. I also wish I'd seen him back in the Genesis days. Phil is great at what he does, and I really like a few of his songs, but there's no question to me which I prefer.

Has anyone else here seen the Canadian band "The Musical Box"? They perform complete recreations of old Genesis shows, complete w/ costumes, between song stories, and on. Highly recommended if you can see them, I think they're touring the northeast US again with the Lamb. IIRC, Collins, Gabriel, and Hackett have all endorsed them.

Happy the Man? Saw them once at ProgDay in Chapel Hill (well, that year it was in Durham due to a hurricane).

I hadn't seen that version of "Don't Give Up", that was brilliant. I've been meaning to get that video for years and keep forgetting. I didn't think anyone could match up to Kate Bush on those vocals, but Paula Cole has a new fan. I guess I've been missing out. Just ordered the blu ray on Amazon...

Gabriel. Everyone above has already discussed his work as a musician, so instead let's look at his work as a producer and executive - which is utterly astounding.

The commercial genre we call "world music" pretty much exists because of Gabriel, and his Real World label is the leader in this space by about four gazillion miles. (Check out their inventory: Releases » Real World Records)

Obviously he didn't create this music, but he found it and took it from utter obscurity to being a major commercial element of the entire music industry, creating hundreds of careers and amazing musical experiences for millions of people.

In all seriousness, I like Phil when I am in a pop mood. The only Genesis I've really listened to is the later works with him leading the band.

However, Peter strikes me as a complete musical, visual and performance artist. He writes music that touches me more. I wore out So and Us and adore the song Solsbury Hill.

Back
Top Bottom