Phantom Power : Damage to AxeFX?

Sleestak

Power User
At a recent show, one of the house engineers gave me a pair of XLR lines for my AxeFX. I patched him in and started my line check. The FOH engineer said the AxeFX sounded great and was really pleased with how easy it was to place in the mix. After soundcheck he said "I noticed that the phantom power was ON for those channels initially, but I turned it off".

My AxeFX is racked along with my power amp, with the AxeFX XLR outputs feeding to the power amp, and the power amp's parallel XLR outs feeding to my VAFAM patch panel. Any incoming phantom power would hit the power amp, which has built-in blocking diodes. So in my scenario, the incoming phantom power from the board doesn't pose a significant danger to either the power amp or the AxeFX upstream.

However, it made me wonder whether this would be potentially damaging to the AxeFX if it were directly patched to a board with phantom power on. Can anyone from Fractal comment on this? It seems like the kind of thing you've addressed at the hardware level, but I'm curious whether this could be damaging to the AxeFX.

Our mixer board is all channels or no channels with phantom power, so every time I play, phantom power is on, and hasn't hurt my Axe FX II at all.

Back
Top Bottom