"Petrucci Rig" Factory Preset Update JPIIC+ and MIMIQ

Keep in mind, the JPIIC+ more or less is a IIC+.
It's Mesa and JP's (very successful) attempt at the ideal IIC+ reissue, with some modern add-on features. You can certainly get SFAM tones out of it with the right settings.

You say that:

so at the risk of stating the obvious...have you tried simply taking down the mid? It's set fairly high in this preset.
Take up the treble, if you think it doesn't have enough.
Use your ears, not your eyes, and twist the ole knobs until you're happy!

For what it's worth, the biggest difference between JP's '99 tone and today's is the amount of tightness that's dialed in. If you listen to the stems from SFaM (YouTube is your friend), you'll find the amps on that album are far spongier and saggier than you might think listening to the mix, especially compared to his tones today.

If you're not getting what you want out of the JPIIC+, try the regular IIC+ in the unit. Or the MK IV (USA LEAD). Or the Triaxis (USA PRE).

They can all get you to a great SFaM tone.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I tried the settings with 0 bass, 0 mid, 9 treble, and very scooped mark EQ, but still mid range is too rich.

Yes I listened to STEM, and the sound includes many bite range.
But for example, beyond this life into is only by a guitar track, then good example to build up the preset.
I dialed down to 0 for bass and mid, scooped EQ and treble 8.
Still too fat mid, and sounds not dark.

For my ear, SFAM sound is very scooped, dark but includes bite range.
But by dialing down bass and mid, I can’t replicate that tone.
I’m using ownhammer mesa IR with 57 mic but the difference I am facing is more for amp settings.
Maybe I should do post EQ after cab block?

I hope I can achieve by amp and cab blocks only.
I’d appreciate your additional comments on this.

Keep in mind, the JPIIC+ more or less is a IIC+.
It's Mesa and JP's (very successful) attempt at the ideal IIC+ reissue, with some modern add-on features. You can certainly get SFAM tones out of it with the right settings.

You say that:

so at the risk of stating the obvious...have you tried simply taking down the mid? It's set fairly high in this preset.
Take up the treble, if you think it doesn't have enough.
Use your ears, not your eyes, and twist the ole knobs until you're happy!

For what it's worth, the biggest difference between JP's '99 tone and today's is the amount of tightness that's dialed in. If you listen to the stems from SFaM (YouTube is your friend), you'll find the amps on that album are far spongier and saggier than you might think listening to the mix, especially compared to his tones today.

If you're not getting what you want out of the JPIIC+, try the regular IIC+ in the unit. Or the MK IV (USA LEAD). Or the Triaxis (USA PRE).

They can all get you to a great SFaM tone.
P.S. I tried same thing with IIC+, IV, and triaxis.
Better than JP2C but still too much mid.
Can’t get SFAM scooped sound.
Should I use the other amp types?

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I tried the settings with 0 bass, 0 mid, 9 treble, and very scooped mark EQ, but still mid range is too rich.

Yes I listened to STEM, and the sound includes many bite range.
But for example, beyond this life into is only by a guitar track, then good example to build up the preset.
I dialed down to 0 for bass and mid, scooped EQ and treble 8.
Still too fat mid, and sounds not dark.

For my ear, SFAM sound is very scooped, dark but includes bite range.
But by dialing down bass and mid, I can’t replicate that tone.
I’m using ownhammer mesa IR with 57 mic but the difference I am facing is more for amp settings.
Maybe I should do post EQ after cab block?

I hope I can achieve by amp and cab blocks only.
I’d appreciate your additional comments on this.
What guitar are you using? A JP of some sort, I'd assume?

P.S. I tried same thing with IIC+, IV, and triaxis.
Better than JP2C but still too much mid.
Can’t get SFAM scooped sound.
Should I use the other amp types?

You should just tone match the intro to Beyond This Life if that's the tone you're going for. It bears mentioning that much of a tone is the mics and cab selection. Especially when you're talking about very high-gain tones, that's arguably the majority of the perceived audible tone. So just get the gain structure and tactile response where it seems/feels right to you on the amp and then run a TMA.

You should just tone match the intro to Beyond This Life if that's the tone you're going for. It bears mentioning that much of a tone is the mics and cab selection. Especially when you're talking about very high-gain tones, that's arguably the majority of the perceived audible tone. So just get the gain structure and tactile response where it seems/feels right to you on the amp and then run a TMA.
Ok I will try.
I actually did TMA but after cab block.
Do you recommend after Amp block?
Ideally I want to achieve the tone without TMA.
What is your recommendation for IR especially mic?
I assume 57 + 421.

Also, when I did TMA after cab block, TMA suggested I should boost above 8000hz.
If I dial up presence and play the preset, then my guitar populates many noise especially slide.
This kind of ‘boost above 8000hz suggestion’ happens a lot when I do TMA.
What is the reason?
Maybe room mic IR?

The latest York Audio Mesa Oversized version 2 pack has an IR in it with the same mics and setup as JP uses these days. It is a killer high gain IR. All of the mixed IRs from that pack are incredible. I doubt you would need to look further IR wise.

I have been mucking around with the Mark IV model recently and it is a special amp. Different to the IIC+, JP2C, Triaxis etc. You might like it.

I find the speaker impedance profiles are a secret weapon when trying to get the right sound and feel for these types of tones too. Try a few different ones out and see what you like.

Last edited:
The latest York Audio Mesa Oversized version 2 pack has a can in it with the same mics and setup as JP uses these days. It is a killer high gain IR. All of the mixed IRs from that pack are incredible. I doubt you would need to look further IR wise.

I have been mucking around with the Mark IV model recently and it is a special amp. Different to the IIC+, JP2C, Triaxis etc. You might like it.

I find the speaker impedance profiles are a secret weapon when trying to get the right sound and feel for these types of tones too. Try a few different ones out and see what you like.
Thanks a lot.
Which mic IR are you using from YA?
I have Mesa IR from ownhammer and ML SOUND LAB.
With 57 and 421, both JP2C and IIC+ give me too warm sound than Petrucci in Beyond This Life intro.

I also compared IIC+ and JP2C, and especially the scooped sound is easily created with IIC+.
I will try IV tonight.

Thanks a lot.
Which mic IR are you using from YA?
I have Mesa IR from ownhammer and ML SOUND LAB.
With 57 and 421, both JP2C and IIC+ give me too warm sound than Petrucci in Beyond This Life intro.

I also compared IIC+ and JP2C, and especially the scooped sound is easily created with IIC+.
I will try IV tonight.
It has JP in the file name in the mix folder. It is also discussed in the PDF. I think it was captured using a 313, SM7 and 121 like Perrucci uses these days. The Mix 1 and Mix 2 IRs from
that pack are awesome too. Actually all of the mixes are fantastic. Brilliant pack.

As discussed a bit offline I post my preset with JP2C and IIC+.
I am usually using ownhammer MESA cab for these amps (412 MES V30 MDRN-3), but for the convenience, I replaced into some stock cabs.
Then the tone is a bit different from my intention, but you will see that JP2C needs some extreme settings to avoid very rich mid and mid-low to get the scooped sound. comared to IIC+.
Usually 80hz EQ slider should raise but I need to dial down otherwise very rich low-mid appears and can't get the scooped sound, and even if I do so, still tone character is a bit warm.

Guys, anyway please let me know your opinion on the preset.

P.S.
Also maybe because of mic to use for IR, I need to put EQ after cab.
Especially CD sound have very scooped around 5600hz.
Can someone advise me what the reason is if not mic difference?
I don't think the engineer put this extreme EQ when mixing and mastering.

Last edited:
Hi,

I improved a bit for replicating IIC+ by JP2C and Triaxis.
Please let me know your opinion and I'd appreciate if you tweak JP2C and Triaxis model to reproduce IIC+ tone in scene1 in this preset.
The purpose is the tone challenge if JP2C and Triaxis can do same as IIC+, then please don't tweak scene1 in this preset.

Attachments

• Triaxis JP2C to replicate IIC+.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom