"Petrucci Rig" Factory Preset Update JPIIC+ and MIMIQ

Any chance someone can take 2 screenshots for us axe fx II guys since we cant open the presets?
1 screenshot of how the LFO parameters are set in the Controllers section
1 screenshot how the LFO assignments are done in the Voice & Level knobs of the Detune block
Much appreciated !

You can drop it into the FM3, yes. But there's also an updated FM3 factory preset in there already. #083
So if I go to FM3 preset #083 and copy the pitch block into whatever preset I use, I will basically now have a functioning doubling effect for my guitar sound for both live use and bedroom practice?

So if I go to FM3 preset #083 and copy the pitch block into whatever preset I use, I will basically now have a functioning doubling effect for my guitar sound for both live use and bedroom practice?

Close to it. You'll be missing the modifier settings from the preset that are taking the pith block to the next level.

What is the difference between using the "Petrucci trick" vs. using the Enhancer at the end of the chain?
If the "trick" you're referring to is slightly delaying one side of the signal, then there is no difference if you have the enhancer set right. But JP doesn't use that trick live anymore; he uses a TC MIMIQ, which I've mimicked in the latest factory preset.

If the "trick" you're referring to is slightly delaying one side of the signal, then there is no difference if you have the enhancer set right. But JP doesn't use that trick live anymore; he uses a TC MIMIQ, which I've mimicked in the latest factory preset.
Pardon my confusion, so if I copied the pitch block + modifiers from the JP preset, I am then basically using a replica of the TC MIMIQ?

Is there any benefit to using this in addition to the enhancer? Im trying it now and it sounds hyooge

Close to it. You'll be missing the modifier settings from the preset that are taking the pith block to the next level.
Hi Cooper,

I really enjoy your petrucci rig in Cygnus FW.
The tone in the preset is great but the tone includes too much mid since I believe JP2C includes very fat mid than any other mesa amp, and very difficult to achieve ‘scenes from memory’ tone with JP2C.
Do you think I shouldn’t use JP2C for scenes from memory tone?
Or JP2C can do that but I am not very good at tweaking the parameters?
For me, scenes from memory tone has many treble and tight low with very thin mid.
What JP2C can do is the opposite to me.

Thanks

Hi Cooper,

I really enjoy your petrucci rig in Cygnus FW.
The tone in the preset is great but the tone includes too much mid since I believe JP2C includes very fat mid than any other mesa amp, and very difficult to achieve ‘scenes from memory’ tone with JP2C.
Do you think I shouldn’t use JP2C for scenes from memory tone?
Or JP2C can do that but I am not very good at tweaking the parameters?
For me, scenes from memory tone has many treble and tight low with very thin mid.
What JP2C can do is the opposite to me.

Thanks
I can't speak to what Cooper would recommend, but don't rule out other Mark amps in the Axe III. Just yesterday I took S4 of the USA IIC+ and tweaked a few amp parameters, and got it sounding tighter to my ears, similar to what I think you're referring to.

I can't speak to what Cooper would recommend, but don't rule out other Mark amps in the Axe III. Just yesterday I took S4 of the USA IIC+ and tweaked a few amp parameters, and got it sounding tighter to my ears, similar to what I think you're referring to.
Yes I think early DT tone is achieved by Mark IIC+ but not JP2C, just different.
Can anyone provide Petrucci Rig before JP2C?
I believe the previous Petrucci Rig used IIC+, and I want to build up my preset based on that.

Yes I think early DT tone is achieved by Mark IIC+ but not JP2C, just different.
Can anyone provide Petrucci Rig before JP2C?
I believe the previous Petrucci Rig used IIC+, and I want to build up my preset based on that.
Yeah, in addition to the IIC+, he also used a Mark IV for recording SFAM. But on that tour, he had the 2 giant racks, which also included the Tri-Axis & 2:90, probably to allow him to be authentic to the earlier songs.
I think you'd get better response if you started a new thread. But those older tones are in there; You just may have to do some tweaking on your own. And if you were to find any presets created back then, they probably wouldn't sound the same on Cygnus.
Plus, during the recording of SFAM, I'm pretty sure he was still using his signature Ibanez, as he didn't get the first EBMM till during the tour. So that will also affect the tone.

Keep in mind, the JPIIC+ more or less is a IIC+.
It's Mesa and JP's (very successful) attempt at the ideal IIC+ reissue, with some modern add-on features. You can certainly get SFAM tones out of it with the right settings.

You say that:
the tone includes too much mid since I believe JP2C includes very fat mid than any other mesa amp
so at the risk of stating the obvious...have you tried simply taking down the mid? It's set fairly high in this preset.
Take up the treble, if you think it doesn't have enough.
Use your ears, not your eyes, and twist the ole knobs until you're happy!

For what it's worth, the biggest difference between JP's '99 tone and today's is the amount of tightness that's dialed in. If you listen to the stems from SFaM (YouTube is your friend), you'll find the amps on that album are far spongier and saggier than you might think listening to the mix, especially compared to his tones today.

If you're not getting what you want out of the JPIIC+, try the regular IIC+ in the unit. Or the MK IV (USA LEAD). Or the Triaxis (USA PRE).

They can all get you to a great SFaM tone.

Back
Top Bottom