"Petrucci Rig" Factory Preset Update JPIIC+ and MIMIQ

Hey, I actually use one of your presets frequently!

I was wondering if the the 750 Hz slider on the graphic would need to be set higher for a live mix. The Crunch Me Under preset has a very low value for the 750 Hz slider, but I guess the IRs are extremely important. I can turn the delay volume down for my use. And I might turn the reverb off for live use as well.

Just check out 3 posts above yours... ;)

Thanks Cooper, Sweet preset for sure!
I've saved each block in my library for some mixing into my own presets.
BTW, as a matter of interest, what was coming in on Input 3 in the preset?

Hey man, I just did the preset 😂 the magic code that makes it sing like the "real" thing is 100% @FractalAudio

I noticed that the settings for Input Drive (yellow and red channel) are different from the default settings of the amp model.

How do these values behave compared to the real amp (especially regarding Pull Gain)?

Input DriveInput Drive Pulled
Yellow Ch. Real Amp6.007.25
Yellow Ch. Axe-FX2.90 ??????
Red Ch. Real Amp7.509.00
Red Ch. Axe-FX5.70 ??????

Cooper I have a question on the many hours spent side by side. What was your setup as far as the JP-2C into what cab or were you using the CabClone D.I. And the same question with the AXE FX what speakers amp so on. I just bought a JP-2C and I'm using that in place of the Amp and Cab block coming out of the CabClone. I always wonder how close I can get to the real thing with AXE FX. Looked at the JP 2020 rig rundown last night and man does he have gain cranked like wow. Using this preset and the JP-2C CabCLone through in ear monitors I like the Cab mix factory 2 #696+694 ENG V30 121+57.

I ended up staying with the Friedman, but I switched to the IRs in Cooper's preset. The JP2C in the preset has too much bass for what I usually need.

The low end is enormous. Is this how Petrucci runs things live or in the studio or do they low cut at the desk or something?

If you like the amp but the low end is a little out of control, other than the usual low cut in the cab block (maybe 80-100hz, 24db/o) I have found thanks to @2112 the secret weapon for these amps is the input eq. Don't be afraid to turn it up quite high - I sometimes use up to 300hz. It does this magic type of low end tightening that doesn't chop the amps balls off. You might like it :)

This was requested in a wish list post, cross posting it here for fans of the original preset I did in the unit.

FW 12.14, with the JPIIC+ and new MIMIQ pedal sim.

Enjoy and crank it uppp :)
Now I have had some more time to mess with this preset (and continue to love it more and more!) I have a few questions I was hoping you might consider fielding:

1) I understand you set up Petrucci's AXE rig. How much of what is contained in this preset is copy/pasted from JP's actual preset? What is different?

2) How did you go about dialing in the amp settings? Did you sit down with Petrucci's actual rig and dial things in by ear? Did you use settings off the front of his amp and then make an educated guess for the 5 band eq (noting the log pots on the real amp)?

3) How did you go about choosing the IRs? Again, was this a side-by-side comparison with his rig sound, a bunch of trial and error or something else? Also, you left the speaker impedance curve as the default USA lead - is this an ears rather than eyes choice?

4) Is this preset overall close to what Petrucci would use in a live setting? Do you think he could walk out on stage wth this preset (including the amp portion) and be satisfied? I know he is endorsed by MESA and you need to be mindful of your reputation with clients, but any insights would be very cool!

I like many others love Mr. Petrucci, so would be great to get any further information or backstory on this preset. But I note you have already done so much by providing this free, so don't want to stretch the friendship too far :)

Last edited:
For those who are having trouble with the bass in this preset: The bass-middle-treble controls work pre distortion. So don't be afraid to turn down the bass to zero, crank the mids to max and set the treble somewhere in the middle. This will result in a much tighter sound. In the Mesa Mark series, the EQ for tonshaping is the output EQ. This EQ is located after the gain stages The Treble-middle-bass knobs is more or less a 3-band boost section, working like a pedal in front of the amp....

@ccroyalsenders Once again thanks for sharing this preset! In your opinion is there was a best placement for this block. Is it best as the last block or prior to delay, etc like it is in this preset?

Now I have had some more time to mess with this preset (and continue to love it more and more!) I have a few questions I was hoping you might consider fielding:

1) I understand you set up Petrucci's AXE rig. How much of what is contained in this preset is copy/pasted from JP's actual preset? What is different?

2) How did you go about dialing in the amp settings? Did you sit down with Petrucci's actual rig and dial things in by ear? Did you use settings off the front of his amp and then make an educated guess for the 5 band eq (noting the log pots on the real amp)?

3) How did you go about choosing the IRs? Again, was this a side-by-side comparison with his rig sound, a bunch of trial and error or something else? Also, you left the speaker impedance curve as the default USA lead - is this an ears rather than eyes choice?

4) Is this preset overall close to what Petrucci would use in a live setting? Do you think he could walk out on stage wth this preset (including the amp portion) and be satisfied? I know he is endorsed by MESA and you need to be mindful of your reputation with clients, but any insights would be very cool!

I like many others love Mr. Petrucci, so would be great to get any further information or backstory on this preset. But I note you have already done so much by providing this free, so don't want to stretch the friendship too far :)

1. Nothing copy pasted; built from the ground up.

This one is far simpler than what's in the rig. Example: this has one long, one short delay, similar to JP's Systematic Chaos-era rig. Take a look at pics of the pedalboard and you'll see JP has access to 5+ delays. As Maddi, JP, and I discussed in a recent livestream, the whole DT show is currently one preset, save two SFAM songs. That took a lot of work--the preset is quite complex.

2. By ear based on many, many hours playing through and programming the actual rig. If the pots/sliders are close to photos, it's because Cliff NAILED the model of JP's sig amp. If they're different, it's because my fingers need different settings than JP's to get the same sound.

3. Same answer, basically. Ears and feel based on my familiarity with the rig. That and listening to a lot of DT over the years 😂

4. Is it close? You tell me---I think it sounds pretty good :)

Last edited:
For those who are having trouble with the bass in this preset: The bass-middle-treble controls work pre distortion. So don't be afraid to turn down the bass to zero, crank the mids to max and set the treble somewhere in the middle. This will result in a much tighter sound. In the Mesa Mark series, the EQ for tonshaping is the output EQ. This EQ is located after the gain stages The Treble-middle-bass knobs is more or less a 3-band boost section, working like a pedal in front of the amp....

I can't recommend maxing out the mids if your goal is to stay in JP territory, but otherwise this is dead on. MK series amps are amazing and unique beasts.

Back
Top Bottom