"Petrucci Rig" Factory Preset Update JPIIC+ and MIMIQ

I checked out this preset yesterday and dug it!

The Lines In The Sand scene was a lot of fun and playing fast, 16th note repeated lines like Petrucci was often doing back in that time gives off that same feel and sound. Pretty cool!

I ended up lowering the mix in the pitch block a bit, as it was a little too chorus-y for my tastes, but still a really fun preset all around! Tight work!

Scene 1

I already incorporated the Mimiq in my preset templates, and I am very tempted to drop in the high gain amp instead of my Friedman sound. It is really big and tight.
I ended up staying with the Friedman, but I switched to the IRs in Cooper's preset. The JP2C in the preset has too much bass for what I usually need.

I felt like I got bonus scenes once I started to explore some with the volume knob on my JP6. I ultimately put it in my first 10 presets. Thanks.

The JPIIC+ is enormously responsive to dynamics, especially given the available gain on tap.

People forget the MK series was initially conceived for players like Santana and Keith Richards.

JP (rightfully) gets all the plaudits for his shredding, but he's a very dynamic player over the course of a set and is constantly adjusting his volume pot. The amp's gotta keep up with that.

So I actually hasve a guitar with the Dimarzio Crunch lab and Liquifire 7s in it. This preset is fantastic so many thanks. I will say I'm lukewarm on the clean tones and I'm wondering if that's because I don't have a piezo set up.

Edit: Had the wah pedal pressed down and it was full tilt auto engaged lol. Surprisingly that works well for the crunch and lead tones. Just not the cleans. I thought something was different compared to the last time I used it.

Last edited:
So I actually hasve a guitar with the Dimarzio Crunch lab and Liquifire 7s in it. This preset is fantastic so many thanks. I will say I'm lukewarm on the clean tones and I'm wondering if that's because I don't have a piezo set up.

Edit: Had the wah pedal pressed down and it was full tilt auto engaged lol. Surprisingly that works well for the crunch and lead tones. Just not the cleans. I thought something was different compared to the last time I used it.

ha, if I had a dollar for every time something like that has happened...

Glad you got it sorted!

Awesome Mimiq copy. I found the pitch detune to be a little much for my ears (was making it sound like a chorus) so I turned it down a bit and it sounds killer now. Also if you want to tighten it up a bit you can lower the delay times. I matched one of my delay blocks using the 7 ms delay

Nothing makes a distorted guitar cut through a mix like a cocked wah 🤘

Awesome Mimiq copy. I found the pitch detune to be a little much for my ears (was making it sound like a chorus) so I turned it down a bit and it sounds killer now. Also if you want to tighten it up a bit you can lower the delay times. I matched one of my delay blocks using the 7 ms delay

Keep in mind, these settings are mimicking JP's pedal settings for live use, i.e. in a full band mix. And in large, ambient venues with lots of bodies. We set the levels of most, if not all, effects a good bit higher in this situation than what you'd want/need for solo playing in a small room. It's a huge tone for huge sound.

Has anyone called this preset "Scenes from His Memory" yet?

I know terrible, 'Dad joke' level Dream Theater pun but I couldn't help myself. : )
It's so on the nose I couldn't help myself.

Great work @ccroyalsenders!

This preset sounds fantastic. Other than making adjustments to low cut and high cut, how would you modify this preset for a live band situation? Or is this preset intended for live use? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom