"Petrucci Rig" Factory Preset Update JPIIC+ and MIMIQ

It's a quite versatile preset. With a few different guitars and the volume control I got good sounds for Led Zeppelin, Lenny Kravitz, Scorpions and more. All on scene one

Dunno if it was just me, but when I loaded the preset the Cab block has Cab 3 enabled and pointed to User 1 #5. Is this right or not? If so, @ccroyalsenders can you tell us which user cab are you using in this slot? Thanks!!!

Absolutelly blown away with the MIMIQ pitchshifter. I was already quite satisfied with my "dual guitar" sim, but man, this is another level!!

Thanks Cooper!

This is not just another Petrucci preset - this is (finally) to my ears and fingers the benchmark. With my BFR it is the tone. I have had an Axe-Fx product through the generations since the Ultra days and a lot of my tweaking has centered on Petrucci type tones. And I have never had anything quite like this come out of the magical box before. I have always managed to get pieces of it close, but was always missing things. THIS IS IT.

I mean, I expect nothing less from the legend that is Cooper and considering he built JP's Axe effects presets for him it should come as no surprise how amazing this is.

The Pitch block is a KILLER doubler effect. So cool - will be dropping it in to all my presets going forward. Liking it as a more complex, textured widening than the Enhancer, which is still great and will keep using too.

On the surface the core amp settings don't look a lot different from what I have tried in the past (and are within the ballpark of the photos floating around showing Petrucci's settings so probs taken from his rig). Will dig deeper, but am thinking a lot of the magic beyond Cliff's spot-on modelling and latest amazing firmware is the choice of IR's and the Output EQ settings, and of course the tweaking which Cooper has perfectly done fine tuning with ears and not eyes which has always alluded me.

Had not thought to put those exact IR's together from two different producers. I have found even minute deviations can ruin the tone with this model and the 5 band EQ must be tweaked with nuance to the IR. And Cooper has done this perfectly. Other than the move to the 301 and 313 mics, I had always thought Petrucci used a combination of SM57/7 and 421 mics. But listening to the interview he did recently which included an appearance of Cooper, I learned he uses 121's. For some reason I never tried that much for the Petrucci sound and turns out it is a necessary component! Although older tones I believe used the 57/421 combo (he seemed to have a less bassy tone back in the day, and less of a wall of sound I guess which is now his signature tone - biceps must have injected more grunt).

So having mucked around with Petrucci virtual rigs for many years (including since the JPIIC was added to the III) I can see what is different in this preset, but can't understand why it sounds so much better than anything else I have heard or come up with.

LOVE the effects (which settings I assume are taken from Petrucci's actual rig?). I have been using a stereo delay for a long time which has more of the ping-pong that you can hear in a lot of Petrucci's gear demo's so not sure if the delays are spot on to his rig or not?

TL;DR: this preset is the greatest to grace my AXE III to date. Cooper (and Cliff!) you are the man!

Last edited:
This is not just another Petrucci preset - this is (finally) to my ears and fingers the benchmark. With my BFR it is the tone. I have had an Axe-Fx product through the generations since the Ultra days and a lot of my tweaking has centered on Petrucci type tones. And I have never had anything quite like this come out of the magical box before. I have always managed to get pieces of it close, but was always missing things. THIS IS IT.

I mean, I expect nothing less from the legend that is Cooper and considering he built JP's Axe effects presets for him it should come as no surprise how amazing this is.

The Pitch block is a KILLER doubler effect. So cool - will be dropping it in to all my presets going forward. Liking it as a more complex, textured widening than the Enhancer, which is still great and will keep using too.

On the surface the core amp settings don't look a lot different from what I have tried in the past (and are within the ballpark of the photos floating around showing Petrucci's settings so probs taken from his rig). Will dig deeper, but am thinking a lot of the magic beyond Cliff's spot-on modelling and latest amazing firmware is the choice of IR's and the Output EQ settings, and of course the tweaking which Cooper has perfectly done fine tuning with ears and not eyes which has always alluded me.

Had not thought to put those exact IR's together from two different producers. I have found even minute deviations can ruin the tone with this model and the 5 band EQ must be tweaked with nuance to the IR. And Cooper has done this perfectly. Other than the move to the 301 and 313 mics, I had always thought Petrucci used a combination of SM57/7 and 421 mics. But listening to the interview he did recently which included an appearance of Cooper, I learned he uses 121's. For some reason I never tried that much for the Petrucci sound and turns out it is a necessary component! Although older tones I believe used the 57/421 combo (he seemed to have a less bassy tone back in the day, and less of a wall of sound I guess which is now his signature tone - biceps must have injected more grunt).

So having mucked around with Petrucci virtual rigs for many years (including since the JPIIC was added to the III) I can see what is different in this preset, but can't understand why it sounds so much better than anything else I have heard or come up with.

LOVE the effects (which settings I assume are taken from Petrucci's actual rig?). I have been using a stereo delay for a long time which has more of the ping-pong that you can hear in a lot of Petrucci's gear demo's so not sure if the delays are spot on to his rig or not?

TL;DR: this preset is the greatest to grace my AXE III to date. Cooper you are the man!
It wasn't just Carter it was thanks to Cliff as well by making adjustments the the amp.

Back
Top Bottom