Petrucci & Myung

flying_walrus

Experienced
Just saw DT last night in San Jose, and they sounded amazing*.

for the first time ever, Petrucci didn't have cabs on stage. He's used off-stage isolated cabs for years, but usually has (empty?) amps and cabs on stage.

*It took several songs for LaBrie's voice to warm up, but by the time they got into the SFaM set he was at full range.

My date is not a metal fan, but was game to see what I was so excited about, and at the end of the evening she spent more time praising them then I did :)

for the first time ever, Petrucci didn't have cabs on stage. He's used off-stage isolated cabs for years, but usually has (empty?) amps and cabs on stage.

John has stated in many interviews that he has used unloaded cabs and heads on stage for the “look,” while a mic’d 2x12 Rectifier cab sits backstage. But I have the suspicion that during the recent tours, he’s been going direct with his Axe-FX. It makes sense considering his rig comes loaded out of the box.

It took several songs for LaBrie's voice to warm up, but by the time they got into the SFaM set he was at full range.

It’s amazing how well James’s voice has shelf up over the years. I just fear the day when he’s no longer able to hit those high notes.

It’s amazing how well James’s voice has shelf up over the years. I just fear the day when he’s no longer able to hit those high notes.

Honestly I don't think his voice has held up that well at all. His range is seriously limited compared to where it used to be and he sounds like he's straining all the time now when singing live. I think all those years of "An Evening With Dream Theater" shows probably did a lot of damage since he'd be singing for like 3 hours every time. I'm sure it made them all a lot of money not having to pay opening bands poor James has suffered because of it.

John has stated in many interviews that he has used unloaded cabs and heads on stage for the “look,” while a mic’d 2x12 Rectifier cab sits backstage. But I have the suspicion that during the recent tours, he’s been going direct with his Axe-FX. It makes sense considering his rig comes loaded out of the box.

Honestly I don't think his voice has held up that well at all. His range is seriously limited compared to where it used to be and he sounds like he's straining all the time now when singing live. I think all those years of "An Evening With Dream Theater" shows probably did a lot of damage since he'd be singing for like 3 hours every time. I'm sure it made them all a lot of money not having to pay opening bands poor James has suffered because of it.
I thought that James damaged his vocal chords quite badly when he was ill years ago and never quite recovered 100 percent?

Cliff had this to say recently about John Petrucci and the JP2C model:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-am-confused-about-the-jp2c.153540/post-1826396

Evidence is coming in he might be using the AXE III for more than just effects these days. I wonder how this would work with his Boogie endorsement deal?

I have never seen a photo or video of JP without some Mesa gear behind him, so the observance of him playing a show without any backline (dummy or no) is a bit bizarre. I wonder what is going on here? Fascinating.

Cliff had this to say recently about John Petrucci and the JP2C model:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-am-confused-about-the-jp2c.153540/post-1826396

Evidence is coming in he might be using the AXE III for more than just effects these days. I wonder how this would work with his Boogie endorsement deal?

I have never seen a photo or video of JP without some Mesa gear behind him, so the observance of him playing a show without any backline (dummy or no) is a bit bizarre. I wonder what is going on here? Fascinating.

What a crazy time to be alive.

exactly, and JP is the king of endorsement deals - and only the second person ever to have a boogie amp with his name on it

exactly, and JP is the king of endorsement deals - and only the second person ever to have a boogie amp with his name on it
Yeah is a strange one for sure. But given Cliff’s cryptic comment, perhaps he is leaving Mesa and will use the Fractal for everything? It would still be a big surprise if that happened given how lucrative the endorsement from Mesa probably is, along with the fact he has played them his entire career.

Maybe his dummy gear didn’t turn up that day. There is still something to Cliff’s comment though, so he could totally be using the Axe for his amp tones while still publicly endorsing Mesa.

I saw DT live two years ago. It was in support of The Astonishing album. I hadn't listened to the album at that point and was a bit bummed that they didn't do any of their better known material, but the show was a stunning display of technical mastery. I don't think there was one flaw in their playing all night.

I think the venue was a poor choice (local theater) because it was kind of strange to be sitting through a concert for a rock group. It made it feel a lot more like going to see an orchestral performance. I had just seen Symphony X two weeks prior and they played to a packed club complete with mosh pit which gave the show a lot more energy by comparison.

I saw DT last night in Reno. The mix was a fatal tragedy. Was so disappointed. The guitar was so loud it basically ruined the show... and this is coming from a guitar player. I kept looking over at the guy sitting behind the mix and wondering what the f he was thinking. He had headphones on the whole time so maybe he was hearing something different. Last time I saw them at the same venue the mix was awesome.

I saw DT last night in Reno. The mix was a fatal tragedy. Was so disappointed. The guitar was so loud it basically ruined the show... and this is coming from a guitar player. I kept looking over at the guy sitting behind the mix and wondering what the f he was thinking. He had headphones on the whole time so maybe he was hearing something different. Last time I saw them at the same venue the mix was awesome.
Did he have a Mesa backline or nothing on stage?

Back
Top Bottom