Petrucci and Cantrell Wah

Axe-Master
A Youtube user asked me to try cop the tone of the Petrucci wah in the AX8, so rather than start from scratch I had a read around on the forum and the Dunlop site and stumbled across this thread

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/reproducing-petruccis-wah.117931/#post-1484018

where most of the work is already done.

I tweaked the GEQ based on the rough settings in the manual and the stated +/- 18dB sweep of each EQ band, so my GEQ settings are a little different as well as the toe down/heel down values which worked a little better to my ears.

I then took that approach to try emulate the Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah and got a result I was pretty happy with. I'm actually quite surprised at how low the toe down values are (1500-1600hz) and how well this cuts with a high gain sound. Anyway, check out the vids below and let me know what you think.

Yes, we explored the Cantrell wah years ago on this forum (before the make-over of the Wah models).

i've seen Alice in Chains multiple times, and I still think Cantrell has the best high-gain wah sound I've ever heard. Very vocal and cutting, and different from the pack.

A low MaxFreq value is key. Downside is that those settings won't let you do the "wakka - wakka" rhythm stuff.
But that's where you have X/Y states for.

Thanks again Leon.

I had actually downloaded the previous forum attempts and tweaked them a bit myself, but your tweaks combined with a few more of my own this morning has got it totally nailed - for my ears of course!

Been lusting after a Petrucci wah, but the Cantrell settings on the AX8 are my fave and spot on with the actual Cantrell wah I used to have....but what a treat to have the blocks there for the Petrucci when you want them!

The only pedal I've kept since becoming a Fractal owner is my CAE wah, but that is completely redundant - it's on my board, but has a dead battery and hasn't been stepped on for ages.

Time to offload it and invest in another EV-1 for volume swells and other stuff.

Nice! I haven't had a chance to test them out but thanks for doing this!

BTW, I did some math after borrowing a friends Petrucci Wah to see the actual travel of the pots these are the numbers I came up with:

100hz = -16.8
200hz = -12
400hz = 4.8
800hz = 6
1600hz = 14.4
3200hz = -14.4
6400hz = 0

Now taking in consideration that the Petrucci wah goes to +/-18db and that the GEQ on the Fractal does +/-12 db maybe someone can try that puting the values that are beyond 12db at 12db and reply the results?

PS:
Also checked some videos and pics of Petruccis rig and he has different settings on each one for his rack wah! So I guess we have to

Glad these are going over well, it's certainly opened up my ears to the possibilities to really fine tune a wah sound in the box. As @yek mentioned the low MaxFreq value really helps the wah cut with high gain.

@Chiguete I'm not sure how to go about dialling in more than +/-12dB in the GEQ block; maybe two GEQ blocks in series? Those values are really handy to have though, thank you!

Again, thanks to @flying_walrus for doing the hard yards in the original thread, especially for setting up auto-engage on the GEQ block. That had me stumped!

Sweet. Can't wait to try both of these, but especially the Cantrell one. And I'm sooooo looking forward to when Fractal puts out the EV-2 (or whatever the smaller one will be called).

Very nice videos - I had to watch the GEQ auto-engage section twice to figure out, what was going on - Cool trick.

Both wahs sound real good - I must admit that I usually default to the Clyde setting - It sounds really good for clean wah tones, but I see I need to experiment more for my drive wah tones.

@2112 This is just a short test that I did with the settings you provided for the wahs....I LOVE this sound...like I was dyin with this cranked today! I've replaced all the wah blocks in my presets with a block that has the Petrucci wah in X and the Cantrell in Y... This is the Petrucci one, which I know you didn't necessarily do - but you posted it again which totally got me hooked. Thanks brother!

@2112 This is just a short test that I did with the settings you provided for the wahs....I LOVE this sound...like I was dyin with this cranked today! I've replaced all the wah blocks in my presets with a block that has the Petrucci wah in X and the Cantrell in Y... This is the Petrucci one, which I know you didn't necessarily do - but you posted it again which totally got me hooked. Thanks brother!

That sounds so good

Killer sound!

A Youtube user asked me to try cop the tone of the Petrucci wah in the AX8, so rather than start from scratch I had a read around on the forum and the Dunlop site and stumbled across this thread

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/reproducing-petruccis-wah.117931/#post-1484018

where most of the work is already done.

I tweaked the GEQ based on the rough settings in the manual and the stated +/- 18dB sweep of each EQ band, so my GEQ settings are a little different as well as the toe down/heel down values which worked a little better to my ears.

I then took that approach to try emulate the Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah and got a result I was pretty happy with. I'm actually quite surprised at how low the toe down values are (1500-1600hz) and how well this cuts with a high gain sound. Anyway, check out the vids below and let me know what you think.

Very good videos! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom