Peterson Stomp classic into Axe Fx

serge20261

Inspired
Trying to connect my Peterson tuner, Guitar - Tuner In / Tuner out into Axe Fx
I'm getting a lot of extra hum,when I connect the Peterson and wondering one if anyone else is experiencing the same and Two is there a work around,can't use the Axe Tuner way to unstable.

Interesting. I haven't had any issues with the tuner in the AxeFX. I've A/B'd it with my Peterson Strobostomp, and a Turbo Tuner. It seems to work really well for me, on guitar, bass, and Warr guitar (which has a much lower range than my bass).
At any rate, are you plugging into the front input on the AxeFX, or the rear input? Is the tuner running from a battery or a power supply? Have you tried other instrument cables to see if that might the source of the hum?

I'm not familiar with this tuner itself, so this may not apply...

If you are powering the pedal via AC adapter make sure if there is an internal battery connector, that it isn't shorting to the pedal casing. I had this happen with an ISP Decimator pedal. The battery connector was shorting to the case. The pedal still worked, but if you touched the bare metal, you could feel the juice running through it. To fix this, wrap the battery connector with some non-conductive tape.

If that still doesn't help, try powering it with a battery. If that fixes the hum then it's likely an adapter issue.

Interesting. I haven't had any issues with the tuner in the AxeFX. I've A/B'd it with my Peterson Strobostomp, and a Turbo Tuner. It seems to work really well for me, on guitar, bass, and Warr guitar (which has a much lower range than my bass).
At any rate, are you plugging into the front input on the AxeFX, or the rear input? Is the tuner running from a battery or a power supply? Have you tried other instrument cables to see if that might the source of the hum?
I'm running in front ,tried both powered and battery,swapped leads no luck

See if it has a ground lift inside. My rack version was doing the same thing. Internal forcing of ground lift fixed it. Just an idea.

Does the tuner create the hum if you run it into a different amp? Does the AxeFX hum if you plug directly in?
I'm wondering if we can isolate one of the variables. Which model Peterson tuner are you using? Does it have a buffer built into it? Those can introduce extraneous noise. Try plugging into the rear input (you need to select that input via the AxeFX). The front panel input on current generation AxeFX units has the "secret sauce" signal optimization, which would be picking up noise from the buffered output on the tuner as well.

If you're not using the Axe-Fx's own FX loop for anything else, use that. Plug a cable from Axe-Fx Output 2 to your Peterson's input, then route your raw guitar signal straight to Output 2 and call it a day. That way it the main signal you hear won't pass through the Peterson at all, so you shouldn't get any hum.

However, what do you mean the Axe-Fx's tuner is unstable? It's not unstable for me at all. It doesn't jump around or anything and is as accurate and "stable" as anything else I've used. It's really only as "unstable" as the guitar you plug into it man.

If you're not using the Axe-Fx's own FX loop for anything else, use that. Plug a cable from Axe-Fx Output 2 to your Peterson's input, then route your raw guitar signal straight to Output 2 and call it a day. That way it the main signal you hear won't pass through the Peterson at all, so you shouldn't get any hum.

However, what do you mean the Axe-Fx's tuner is unstable? It's not unstable for me at all. It doesn't jump around or anything and is as accurate and "stable" as anything else I've used. It's really only as "unstable" as the guitar you plug into it man.
I would love to use the axe fx tuner,it reads the wrong notes it jumps erratically,I've plugged ever guitar I have it makes no difference new strings old strings,bridge pickup,neck pickup,decrease my volume on the guitar
Can't get it to work,don't know what else to do

Does the tuner create the hum if you run it into a different amp? Does the AxeFX hum if you plug directly in?
I'm wondering if we can isolate one of the variables. Which model Peterson tuner are you using? Does it have a buffer built into it? Those can introduce extraneous noise. Try plugging into the rear input (you need to select that input via the AxeFX). The front panel input on current generation AxeFX units has the "secret sauce" signal optimization, which would be picking up noise from the buffered output on the tuner as well.
The tuner is fine plugged into another amp .The AxeFx hum only increases once the tuner is plugged in otherwise pretty good.

The tuner is fine plugged into another amp .The AxeFx hum only increases once the tuner is plugged in otherwise pretty good.
So you're getting a hum from the AxeFX whether the tuner is inline or not? Does the AxeFX make a hum with nothing plugged in?

One more suggestion, just to rule it out : double check your cables to ensure they're instrument cables rather than speaker cables. I know it's an obvious thing, but I spent an hour in the studio once trying to figure out why a bass was creating such a noisy signal. Just unscrew the barrel from the plug and verify there is a shield.

Back
Top Bottom