Pete Thorn with Axe-II

Pete says he uses ultex picks.. I've been using jazzIII ultex picks for a few months and the feel is awesome but it really brightens the pick attack on a string (almost would say harsh) especially with my ultra. I can hear that sound on these recordings.. I think the sound is awesome even for such a short time of setup:)

Last edited:
Scott , can you show me WHERE i said i did'nt like it ???

for me it brings an interesting discussion, which in case is not especially with pete thorn clip but in "general"
- some people complain about his clip being "harsh"
- he answer that in lot of recordings sound is harsher than you could think

from that point of view, i take an appart discuss wich , i think , is interesting , about why do lots of great records with guitars alone sound great and sound great in the mix.that's an open , and interesting discuss , not to bash anyone's work, because axe fx can produce a "finished " sound could it be possible to produce a sound that sound great on his own and great in a mix ? open question..that's all...

people seems to take this for a "pete" attack , that's not , i swear, i respect pete and his playing a lot.

i state my opinion with respect and not calling you "dude" , first , and after i answer to people opinion, giving mine,i don't see where is the pb scott.

i'm the first who say i will buy a axe fx II.don't bash the gear at all, just ask a real question.

men, no offence, but you act like 14 years old little girl sometimes : "hurricane in a glass of water".

calm down guys, i though we could discuss about that, we can't.ok.meh.

How many posts do you have on Pete's thread on TGP? I count 14 as of now. You drive your opinions; which is exactly a 'tempest in a teapot'.

And when I call you for doing it here, you call me a little girl.

I think you are protesting a little much. Your opinion and tangent with all sorts of negative BS comparing recorded and then live tones with a direct recording from Pete - after Pete patiently explained that he dialed in what he wanted to hear - is pretty silly. And a bit funny.

Still has nothing more to do with anything else other than you like to read your own words on the screen raising nothing but inconsequential things you can answer for yourself once you've actually tried the box. Your manner of conduct in online discussions does not do you any favors. Calling names is the online equivalent of desperation. There's no need for being angry or calling names.

Last edited:
This honestly is not meant for anybody in particular, but I just want to say that in my "career" playing music, I have always listened to the advice of people who know more than me. I am lucky to be a weekend warrior in my 50s, and luckier that I have equipment that works for me like the Axe.

I am happy to discover things that I never thought of from studio and touring musicians like Pete. I listen and try these things out myself. If it works for a professional who is a killer guitarist and musician, it can't hurt to follow his lead.

That is basically my point ... it can't hurt to listen to what Pete is saying, what he is going for as far as sound, or why he chose these tones to begin with. That is all ....

Pete says he uses ultex picks.. I've been using jazzIII ultex picks for a few months and the feel is awesome but it really brightens the pick attack on a string (almost would say harsh) especially with my ultra. I can hear that sound on these recordings.. I think the sound is awesome even for such a short time of setup:)
My favorites are Dunlop Jazz II (medium) to get thick crunches and the Tortex red (0.5mm).
Give a try to Jazz II instead of the III.

Last edited:
Very nice, however, nothing you can't do with the Ultra...

May very well be true.

I have a feeling that where the two differ may be on the super 3D cleans and in betweens and on the smoother high gain sounds which have more even harmonics, or sound like there are more even harmonics, which is not as important to some as others.

You know where the overdrive suggests violins, cellos, flutes and stuff 'cause even though there's a lot of gain it's still relatively smooth and consonant ( obvious examples are many of EJs overdrive tones, And there are other examples ).

This is also evident with playing chords and extended chords with medium and fairly high gain , and very few tube amps do it ( the real smooth stuff ) well and only with an optimal signal path and conditions ( and often VERY high volume ).

I mean this only as my opinion NOT as a scientific fact:

But just generally as distortion gets narlier and nastier and edgier and more harsh, the easier it is to achieve on various devices, it seems to be the real gainy but clearer sounding stuff in the tube world AND the modeling world is harder to achieve and in the really 3D cleans and lighter drives as well.

Just my opinion ( which is based on some early clips only and I don't HAVE either one, so I sort of have no right to this opinion, in some ways , but...) I think these are the areas in which the two units will diverge tonewise, with the Axe 2 pulling ahead more on the more "pure" , smoother , more even harmonic distortions and on the cleaner and light drives........................

Dialing in "Brutal Metal Tones " (which I admittedly know very little about what are the "better " ones)and also some of the higher gain , edgier, more raw Rock tones( which I DO know about )- IMO the differences between the tones of the Ultra and Axe 2 on recordings will probably be less apparent.

But as I often say experience wins over theory , so if you guys have both units or a specific experience that negates my "theory " - I believe you.

Last edited:
How many posts do you have on Pete's thread on TGP? I count 14 as of now. You drive your opinions; which is exactly a 'tempest in a teapot'.

And when I call you for doing it here, you call me a little girl.

I think you are protesting a little much. Your opinion and tangent with all sorts of negative BS comparing recorded and then live tones with a direct recording from Pete - after Pete patiently explained that he dialed in what he wanted to hear - is pretty silly. And a bit funny.

Still has nothing more to do with anything else other than you like to read your own words on the screen raising nothing but inconsequential things you can answer for yourself once you've actually tried the box. Your manner of conduct in online discussions does not do you any favors. Calling names is the online equivalent of desperation. There's no need for being angry or calling names.

scott , i appreciate you but you have a real problem, i don't know how to tell an other way.
pete thorn anderstood what i was asking (same question as here) and answered me in the gear page forum , with precise video exemple etc , and was great arguing, that answered my question , end of story.
you guys are crazy sometimes , crazy in a paranoiac way.

scott , i appreciate you but you have a real problem, i don't know how to tell an other way.
pete thorn anderstood what i was asking (same question as here) and answered me in the gear page forum , with precise video exemple etc , and was great arguing, that answered my question , end of story.

Stef ...,

I see this is as no different than how you argued about the Torpedo VB-101 ..., it's just that the shoe is on the other foot now .... Kind of appropriate if you ask me ....

All IMHO of course ....

Stef, one year ago I got my only infraction on the Gearpage ... handed to me by Scott ... for excessive arguing. The person I was arguing with in posts was you. About this same stuff ... The Axe, and your comments about the tones.

A year ago. Wow. Good times. :) And here you are, still looking at the Axe, still asking about the same questions. Only now it is the Axe II.

I hope you find what you want. That is a long time to debate and ask questions about something.

Ask the same questions enough different ways you're bound to get the answer you're looking for.

I thought the clip was awesome. It had that pushed clean bit of bite which I love. Keep 'em coming Pete! Thanks! -Mike

^
Stef needs some money so he can just buy something and stop thinking so much

i got money don't worry , thanks ,and still have enough to buy a axe fx 2 now.can you tell me where i can buy it ? ;-)

And here you are, still looking at the Axe, still asking about the same questions. Only now it is the Axe II.

I hope you find what you want. That is a long time to debate and ask questions about something.

1 year is very short when "something" is your passion.tone and music is, for me.
so let's see you in one year and if there's an axe fx 3 i will talk about it with you, who knows.:)
BTW it was a question about guitar "mix" here and pete thorn answered me really well, he was really helpfull, and nice.you often see a pb where there is ....not, that's why i talk about "paranoia".

No, 'we' are not. Whomever 'we' applies to. I speak for myself only, not some 'we'.

You are right, he did answer you. With one post. Well said, then he stopped. How many posts do you have asking the same open ended questions after his now on that thread and here?

Your decorum and name calling doesn't rile me up Stef. I like you, but your behavior and the words you post are not very respectful nor civil when mine have remained so.

No, 'we' are not. Whomever 'we' applies to. I speak for myself only, not some 'we'.

You are right, he did answer you. With one post. Well said, then he stopped. How many posts do you have asking the same open ended questions after his now on that thread and here?

Your decorum and name calling doesn't rile me up Stef. I like you, but your behavior and the words you post are not very respectful nor civil when mine have remained so.

scott i only answered to people who commented my question and argument over that.
guys told me about sound "mastered" , then almost a "it's a mutt lange sound" , then a "these sound are not so glorious"

it's not that i'm right or wrong but i answer to them because i don't agree, like in a real world discuss.who start to call the other "dude" ? is it respect ?i don't know.
pete answered me with good argument , "stef listen to that , then that etc" that convinced me , end of story.
and if i was not respectful with you and other i apologise, sincerely.

scott i only answered to people who commented my question and argument over that.
guys told me about sound "mastered" , then almost a "it's a mutt lange sound" , then a "these sound are not so glorious"

it's not that i'm right or wrong but i answer to them because i don't agree, like in a real world discuss.who start to call the other "dude" ? is it respect ?i don't know.
pete answered me with good argument , "stef listen to that , then that etc" that convinced me , end of story.
and if i was not respectful with you and other i apologise, sincerely.

I don't call other guys 'dude' or 'chief' or 'sporto' or other condescending terms.

Calling me a paranoid little girl could indeed be considered condescending.

Basing all these detailed to the nth degree studies on tone on 128k audio resolution YouTube clips is absurd even at face value. It's like trying to critically assess a photo on a 52" HDTV blown up from a 128k jpeg.

Basing all these detailed to the nth degree studies on tone on 128k audio resolution YouTube clips is absurd even at face value. It's like trying to critically assess a photo on a 52" HDTV blown up from a 128k jpeg.

+1

Wow the *golden ears* out there.

- Richard

I don't call other guys 'dude' or 'chief' or 'sporto' or other condescending terms.

Calling me a paranoid little girl could indeed be considered condescending.

well someone else called me dude, but you maybe didn't notice, as a moderator , you don't moderate the topic you're in, but you could be as little girl as you are with me and tell him it's maybe bad to say that to keep a relax discuss.
it seems that whatever i answer to you i'm wrong.so don't know what to say and to be honesti'm a bit tired to be in front of a judge.
BTW
here's a youtube clips, and , 128 k or not ,if you don't hear that's it's a fuckin killer sound,
don't know what to say, we can stop here
YouTube - ‪Van Halen "Loss of Control" Isolated Guitar‬‏
YouTube - ‪Jeff Beck - Where Were You - (Live at Ronnie Scott's)‬‏

does a killer sound sound really bad when you compress it in mp3 for your ipod ?? hmm ?

in a blind test i did ,it was you who prefered the vg99 clip over real amp and other : cosm technology ?
who's talking about golden ears here ? you ?

if you want to continue this it's in mp it's my last message here, bye.pffff

Last edited:
I don't want any part in name calling and possible keyboard bravery, and would suggest we all cool down a bit. Relax guys, it's only gear. Peace.

I'd want to address the following:

I agree 100% and posted the same on gearpage. Case in point: it so happened that I listened to a youtube clip of Sonny Landreth from Crossroads 2010, a few minutes after watching the same clip from the original DVD. The difference in sound quality was simply staggering.

Now some types of clips may sound better due to specific EQ, through youtube, than others. And, in the end, it's in the... ears of the listener. There are millions of guys out there, aged <25, that have accustomed themselves to crappy mp3 reproduction. Us... ehmmm... more senior citizens, learned to listen to music through vinyl and tape, and then CDs. Everyting counts.

My 0.02 euro, anyway. :)

BTW here's a youtube clips, and , 128 k or not ,if you don't hear that's it's a fuckin killer sound, don't know what to say, we can stop here
Then by all means "we" can stop here. Please.

I hear both of those clips quite well. IMO neither is a "killer sound." The VH clip is a well-executed rock track with a very good recorded sound, the Beck clip is heavily processed - listen to the number of delay repeats on every decaying note. Both guitarists are top-notch. You need to learn and accept that, for many knowledgeable, experienced players, these sounds are not now and will never be the gold standard. There's nothing wrong with you liking them. There's nothing wrong with you spending your life trying to emulate them. There is something deeply wrong with your obstinate insistence that everyone else share your opinion.

Here's an example of the kind of guitar sound I prefer.

YouTube - ‪John Scofield & Chris Minh Doky performing Alone Together..mp4‬&rlm;

I don't expect you to "hear" that this is a "killer sound" or even necessarily to recognize the mastery Sco brings to this song. Hopefully even you can grasp that these things are matters of taste and that your taste is not definitive for anyone but you.

Back
Top Bottom