Pete Thorn Videos

rrhoads17

Inspired
So I've been watching Pete Thorn videos for a long time and I think he is a fabulous guitarist, but I am starting to get kinda burnt out on his videos because everytime he plays an amp it just sounds like a cranked plexi or modded marshall. I get part of the tone is in your hands but I notice a big difference in sound when I play a Vox vs a Marshall for instance. Maybe it's his mixing and post production techniques, but to me it's getting to where all of his stuff sounds the same no matter what he is playing through.

I've noticed that, I dont watch every video tbh and haven't watched his Sunday live in ages. More of a channel I dip in and out of

Very talented guy who has cost me a bit of cash due to his demo videos. Fortunately being an Axe-FX user I don't get as tempted as some, but he has a way of showing how good things can sound.
I haven't seen too many of his more recent videos, but I do recall that he always gravitated towards his favorite sound, which generally has that Marshall vibe to it.

Yeah, he has his favorite tones, which sure seem like modded Plexi's. But I've learned a lot from him (not negating your post, btw) regarding the nuances of amp tones, more than any other videos. Before him, I never knew what "sag" actually was, because he plays and identifies the sound he's discussing in a very clear manner. Plus, if I ever get off my John Petrucci kick, and decide it's time to learn some EVH, the right way, he's the guy I'll be watching!

In his video of a vintage Trainwreck he says something like "this is what those kids playing modelers don't get". I'm 70, but I guess I'm still a kid who doesn't get it.

I don't know what y'all are complaining about. A hotrodded Plexi is the sound of electric guitar. ;)
Not complaining about a hotrodded plexi at all. Just a little weird when someone plays a Vox, Deluxe Reverb or a random non-plexi Synergy module and it sounds like a hotrodded plexi lol

Not complaining about a hotrodded plexi at all. Just a little weird when someone plays a Vox, Deluxe Reverb or a random non-plexi Synergy module and it sounds like a hotrodded plexi lol
Well, you know what they say. Tone is in the fingers and all that. :D

In his video of a vintage Trainwreck he says something like "this is what those kids playing modelers don't get". I'm 70, but I guess I'm still a kid who doesn't get it.
Approaching the golden years as well. Just don't call me Grampa.

I really like Pete Thorns videos. He seems like a really great guy as well. I'm sure he has certain sounds he prefers and dials in whatever amp he is using to get those sounds.
Very true. Probably like a lot of us do.

Oh and speaking of Plexi tones..., I heard the live version of Stairway today on Pandora, and I was thinking, damn! That tone Jimmy Page has is just so F****** GOOD!!!

I’ve worked with Pete. He is a competent player. Lots of gear with his name on it.
I totally get how this can happen-who doesn’t love cranking up the gain and volume and shredding some saturated solos??? Guilty.

Back
Top Bottom