Pete Thorn & Axe-Fx III

I sent him a video I made on my phone... jamming for a minute. I sent it to him via his Facebook account. A few weeks later, he made a video of some type of pedal review, and he was doing the thing I was doing exactly the way I was playing it.
So, ok we all watch YouTube videos and listen to music and borrow things for ourselves... and that's normal. But the guy could have at least given me a thumbs up. So, now I dont like the guy.

I sent him a video I made on my phone... jamming for a minute. I sent it to him via his Facebook account. A few weeks later, he made a video of some type of pedal review, and he was doing the thing I was doing exactly the way I was playing it.
So, ok we all watch YouTube videos and listen to music and borrow things for ourselves... and that's normal. But the guy could have at least given me a thumbs up. So, now I dont like the guy.

How do you know for certain that Pete watched your video ?

I don’t know if he really has time to sit and watch every cellphone video people send him, much less sit there and copy someone’s licks..

Is there anything people don’t argue about? Haha

It’s not an argument, but, someone claiming that a pretty well know guitarist stole their riffs. Fairly bold claim, and I’m not saying it didn’t happen, but I’m also saying how do we really know it did happen ?

Do we want to know?

I think a lot of people would.... and I think a lot of people wouldn’t care, no consensus either way.

It’s an interesting issue though if someone was sent a riff and then days later said artist is playing that exact same riff... doesn’t mean it’s stolen of course, but still an interesting claim.

It’s like with pedals, when someone says such and such copied their circuit, gooped the board, and is selling them for twice the cost...

Not everyone cares, but folks who bought one thinking it was an original design may care...

I’d be unhappy if I paid $300 for a Vertex Axis wah and then learned it’s just a $99 BBE wah with a new logo.

Hardware and riffs are kind of apples and oranges of course, but still represent character.

If an given artist built a career on taking a lot of other people’s songs and riffs, not giving credit etc, it may change how some people view that artist.

At the same time, anyone on the net can make a claim that someone stole soemthing, and it can be quite baseless.

I could say David Gilmour heard me playing the Comfortably Numb second solo and then a few months later the Wall drops and I’m like “hey that’s my solo, near note for note”.

Pete seems pretty darn reputable and like a good guy, so it seems a bit surprising that someone would make a claim he ripped off a riff.

But what do we do ? Say the guy is lying ? Say Pete is a thief ? We have no evidence either way, so just pretend it was never said, and maybe after more reports come out say hey, that dude on the FAS forum was telling the truth back in 2019 and we totally dismissed it....

I'm not sending Pete any of my stuff again.

I sent him a video, and his next video he he did it.
Was part of a lick... something I did using the whammy bar.

Impossible coincidence and timing. He obviously thought it was cool. I dont like that he at least could have clicked a thumbs up at least. Rude.

Mataeus has a signature little thing he does. A lot of people do that thing now. Back in the 70's.. if someone ripped off finger tapping, you could understand that the guy ripped it off from Ed... but today... something can easily be taken by a somebody from a nobody.

Impossible coincidence and timing. He obviously thought it was cool. I dont like that he at least could have clicked a thumbs up at least. Rude.

Mataeus has a signature little thing he does. A lot of people do that thing now. Back in the 70's.. if someone ripped off finger tapping, you could understand that the guy ripped it off from Ed... but today... something can easily be taken by a somebody from a nobody.
He's a top notch musician. I'm sure he sees and hears new things all the time and probably has the ability to recall them with little or no effort.

Assuming he saw your video and "stole" your lick, you should be stoked that it stuck with him enough for him to play it. THAT is your thumbs up!

When you play a solo at a gig, do you give shout outs to the originators (plural) of all the licks you just played? Because I'm pretty sure you don't and also pretty sure you're not playing only phrases you've created on your own.

If you think you've created some awesome lick or technique and you don't want someone to "steal" it, maybe don't send them a video of it? ;)

What was the point of sending him video clips of you playing in the first place ?

Did you want him to make you a video response, send you a thsirt, watch it and be impressed but not "steal" it ??

This would have been much more substantial with links to the videos mentioned in the plot.

I think it may weaken the case though, if Mr. Grim shows a video where he did a little dip or flutter on the whammy bar, and then we see Pete do a little dip or flutter...... Then of course we post 1,000 other videos showing decades of other guitarist also doing that, and the whole thread seems like a waste of time because I don't think there is ANYTHING original that can be done with a whammy bar these days.

Probably that’s why there are no links?

That, or maybe Pete already agreed to a 7-figure settlement, where he does get to keep possession of the riff/whammy bar move Mr. Grim invented, however, it is also stipulated that Pete can never perform the move in public...

Back
Top Bottom